World War IV: AAR's

GM: BigBert. Winners: DOI (Canada), AardvarkArmy (California), asudevil (Amazon empire), Girion (Argentina), paulus (Kenya), thewysecat (Nigeria), and Chelonoidis (Song Empire)

World War IV: AAR's

Postby BigBert » 17 Feb 2013, 11:28

After roughly 18 months of play, 29 game years, and (if my count is correct) including 59 players over the course of the game, World War IV has finally reached its conclusion. The seven winners are DOI (Canada), AardvarkArmy (California), asudevil (Amazon empire), Girion (Argentina), paulus (Kenya), thewysecat (Nigeria), and Chelonoidis (Song Empire). My congratulations to all these players! And thanks to everyone involved in making this a legendary game.

So now what do I do with my free time? :) As a start, I'd like to spend my time the coming weeks on reading on all your AARs. Much has happened, but please all take your time to dig into your memory to tell the tale of all your ploys, wars, stabs, and what were the considerations in all the draw proposals.

Credits go to marsman57 for the final map:
WorldWarIVFinalMap.png
WorldWarIVFinalMap.png (345.21 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
BigBert
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1605
All-game rating: 1682
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: World War IV: AAR's

Postby Kithchener » 17 Feb 2013, 12:01

Teheheheheh me first

I joined as an extremely deadbeat position, 2 fleets on 2 SC'S surrounded by Argentinian and Kenyan fleets. I replied to all messages sent to me, but in the end I decided to support both of them to hold. I thought I might have a shot with my neighbouts being so friendly, but alas it was not to be. Both fleets were both dislodged and after 3 players, a rise and a fall to power, South Africa's last move was what Nigeria told me to do- JVT- TMS.

Very annoyed Girion accepted the draw proposal AFTER I died, but never mind. I'm glad to have been part of this incredibly long game, and be the last power to be eliminated before peace was accepted.

Shame this couldn't break the 30 year game record though.
This account is dead RIP.
Kithchener

Standard rating: (1123)
All-game rating: (1130)
Timezone: GMT

Postby stalin813 » 17 Feb 2013, 13:24

How far was Nigeria from Soloing?
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby BigBert » 17 Feb 2013, 13:46

stalin813 wrote:How far was Nigeria from Soloing?

BigBert
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1605
All-game rating: 1682
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby asudevil » 17 Feb 2013, 16:26

I SHOULD have kept an AAR from when this started 18 months ago...although I remember all the players I defeated fondly, I will share 3 quick reasons why I was able to make it until the end. If I get ambitious I will share more later

Reason 1

Time: Fall 01

Poor, poor ninjaruler. I had the idea for Girion to send me his "moves" which I would then forward to Brazil. Knowing full well that Girion would make the OPPOSITE of those moves so that he could knock out a Brazil home SC from the beginning crippling Brazil to only 1 build in the first year.

This allowed Girion to know I was a loyal ally (which lasted until the end). Also it took one of my closest opponents and put him on his back while I gobbled up all of the neutrals between Brazil and Amazon to come "help" him throw off the hordes. It also kept Girion from getting too strong too fast because he had to deal with a REALLY pissed off Brazil, and he lost an SC that second year (didn't have to disband because of gains elsewhere), but I was able to jump to the early lead in South Africa

Reason 2

Time: Unremembered

Poor, poor Raphtown. I think I would have had a BITCH of a time cracking Columbia. Solid position, I had already pissed off Cuba, and Mexico was limited in his coms. Inca didn't trust me, Raph didn't trust me. I was all on my own. Then what happens. A SUB...ok, lets attack the sub...ASAP...AN NMR...GREAT...WOOT WOOT...then what happens...ANOTHER SUB...I think it was Jayahr...but I don't remember, it was some rookie who Girion told that I was "a most loyal ally", so he trusted me because he was already in some hot water...So out came the sharpened knives.

Thanks for quitting Raphtown, I wouldn't have been in the mid game position without you having a real life.

Reason 3

Time: Unremembered

Poor, poor everyone. Girion and I had made some overatures over the ocean to Africa to see what they wanted to do. TWC and I had a NAP for years as we were early leaders and when the leaders scrap, the world wins. But Girion had found out there was a very solid 3man alliance on the African continent...He reached out to them, and soon the southern alliance was formed. The 5 of us figured a 5 man draw out of 34 is basically a solo. From here on there were HUNDREDS of messages between the southern alliance. I have 1400+ messages in my folder...not counting GM messages, and I haven't communicated much in months. But this alliance carried me through to the end.

Even during the Southern alliance I was FREAKING out about a TWC solo. I do have a question for TWC, were you planning on a solo the whole time. Was my paranoia justified, or were you really looking for a 5 man draw (that turned into 7 cause we couldn't crack California/Canada)

That paranoia basically ended coms in the Southern Alliance because I was so paranoid and not happy that TWC was dam near double anyone else, and a well timed stab by him of Kenya or South Africa would have gotten him the game. Girion figured out where we had to hold the 122 centers to prevent the solo though.

Anyway, the last 6 months were basically a joke entering the same thing over and over with one attempted stab of North America...but I was bored out of my MIND for the last couple of months.

Also, I would like to say not only are we all original players, but also I bet there isn't an NMR amongst us.

Well done all...Double well done to TWC, but I do want to know the answer to my question if you please.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby marsman57 » 17 Feb 2013, 16:52

Bookmarking topic.
TWC told me all would be revealed in the AAR. I hope he keeps to that.
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby VGhost » 17 Feb 2013, 21:44

Interested to see what comes out in the AARs. I took over a Russia in a messy situation, and despite maintaining diplomacy with most neighbors almost to the end, was unable to successfully...well, survive. Nigeria wanted me to turn on the ALA, which I would have been happy to do had he given me any room to maneuver, but no, he had to keep taking my SCs. So I would like to think I slowed down Nigeria & co. enough to claim some responsibility for the final draw, but I doubt it.

One curious fact was that I initially struck a bargain with Canada (DOI) to grab an SC from (I think) Song; I think the move was Jil -> Har. This would have given me one fewer destroys and been a bargaining counter with Nigeria. But before the turn went through DOI reneged due to worries (he said) about his own position. I didn't see the urgency, and was unable to find any other options, which set the tone.

The most frustrating thing about my brief time in the game was being outplayed tactically on almost every turn by Nigeria. I'm not the world's greatest diplomat (ha!) but I'm used to having a tactical edge even in tricky spots.

I enjoyed my time in the game, but even dealing with the reduced game nearly broke my mind - I'm proud to have been a part of this.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (901)

Postby thewysecat » 18 Feb 2013, 02:46

They are not an absolutely perfect match, but close enough to represent the essentials of my AAR

Nigeria-Kenya relations:

Nigeria relations with most of everyone else:

Paulus = Blake
Vila = Asudevil
Tarrant = Girion
Gan = AA
Cally = DOI
Dayna = Che
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby stalin813 » 18 Feb 2013, 02:47

My home territories are held by 4 different countries. That has to count for something. I think short and sweet for me, I got on the wrong sides of alliances every time. Thailand wouldn't stab Song, Sichuan NMR'd. Japan was CRAZY. I stabbed Song too soon. It was a really interesting game, but I must say, looking at the starting map, Nigeria had a nice place to begin (he backed that up with good negotiating) but it looks all the better. Glad my last Ally (Canada-DOI) made it to the end. I'll count that as a more victory considering when I went down, I through him some centers.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby Fatmo » 18 Feb 2013, 02:52

Marking this to make sure I keep track of it. I was involved in this game for maybe two-three months (one of the several players for Great Britain), and I'll try to come up with a brief summery of my time in it. Even after I had to pull out due to RL issues taking most of my time (I felt I couldn't continue to give this great game the proper attention it deserved), I still followed the progress of this game. It was fun to watch and an honor to have played even a small role in it.

From what I remember off the top of my head, I came into the game during an interesting period and in an interesting position. I basically had small footholds on both the European and North American continents, but was not in too commanding of a position in either. In Europe, I entered around the time Nigeria was starting to make his big move north into the continent from the south side of the Med as well as the Atlantic, while I had a pretty good hold of the Northern Atlantic.

Most of my diplomacy around Europe was with Nigeria, Russia, and Germany. As we all know, Nigeria was a very effective and prolific diplomat. We had lots of talks about allying and dividing western Europe (mostly held by Germany and the remnants of Catholica), but I could never bring myself to really believe that he would ultimately stick by me. I'm not sure how much he actually thought I would follow through with him. He was in a position to make far more gains than I, and my instincts told me that it would be better to try to restore the balance of power in Europe than to completely destroy it.

This was where a problem surfaced. In order to effectively resist Nigeria, Germany, Russia, and I would have had to be very well coordinated and in constant communication with one another. I had lots of good talks with Russia, but Germany was very inconsistent in terms of his communications, at least with me. After a while, I was basically tearing out my hair waiting to hear back from him. Perhaps it would have benefited me to go with Nigeria's plans during that time, as he was much more consistent, and made more sense, but I didn't like my long-term options as I saw them if I went down that path.

In the end, I ended up getting into a pretty decent position against Nigeria in the Atlantic, good enough for a stalemate. However, because of my European alliance's failure to communicate, Nigeria was able to basically take over both sides of the Med, and he would eventually go on to keep up the pressure and take over Europe, though he didn't break through the Atlantic until after I left the game.

Meanwhile, in North America, I had to try to carve out a little sphere of influence for myself, ensuring that I was able to keep building up my pretty much dominant position in the Northern Atlantic. I feel I was probably more effective in my diplomacy in this theatre, and I can only wonder what would have happened if I was able to keep playing here. Around the same time I joined the game, Haroon had just joined as the USA, and we got off on a pretty good foot. We established through our talks and moves that we could trust the other, and I felt I had a solid ally now in the Americas. Also, after carving out a bit of Eastern Canada, I started having meaningful talks with DOI in Canada. I really liked where this was going, and now I wanted to try to find a way of using my new connections to start actually having some kind of effect on the game.

One of the things I did that I'm pretty sure had an effect on the direction of the game was to help organize an alliance between USA and Canada against Illinois, who was becoming a serious power in the continent. This also would ensure that those two were focussed west, away from me, meaning that I could have a chance to use the forces I had to try to stop Nigeria. In the end, the alliance against Illinois was incredibly effective, and had the exact outcome I wanted. I was less effective in Europe, but I felt that while I was there I did the best I could. I did not allow Nigeria to break through in the west, but I didn't leave my replacement much breathing room. I noted that Britain seemed to fall faster than I thought it would after I left.

I suppose my main questions would be to TWC, DOI, and haroon. Wyse (if you even remember my brief time in this game), do you feel that things would have turned out differently between our nations if I had actually fully bought into your plan in Western Europe, or would you have simply used the forces you had up there to turn on me once Germany and Catholica were taken out?

DOI and haroon, I was really enjoying the diplomacy we had going on between us. I think we may have had something good going on, and again, I'm sorry I had to leave so abruptly.

Wow, long AAR considering I really wasn't in this game for nearly as long as some others, and my involvement was a very long time ago. It was very interesting though, and one of only two forum games I've ever played. I may have to jump into another one sometime, but if I do I'd love to start one and not just come in as a replacement.

Anyway, good game everyone. I especially have to give it up to you guys who played through the entire game.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Game 2