Diplomacy Rules FAQ

Some questions come up a lot... look here for simple explanations of the rules.

Diplomacy Rules FAQ

Postby Diplomat » 02 Mar 2009, 19:22

ADJUSTMENTS/BUILDS/DESTROYS - A player can maintain a unit for every occupied supply centre controlled during the build phase at the end of the Fall season. If a player has more centers than units, as calculated during the Adjustment phase, he can Build new units in his available home centers. If the player does not have any home centers open, or in his possession, then he cannot build units despite having more supply centers than units (except in some variants such as AoE and Build Anywhere). If a player has more units than he has centers under his control then he must take DESTROYS and remove units from the field. If a player does not issue destroy orders the rules dictate which of his units are taken off first until the proper number of units are reached. Note that the Adjustment phase occurs after the Fall season so it is possible for a player to lose a center in the spring, having at that time more units than centers, then take a center in the fall and, when Adjustments are calculated, no change would need to be made. (Thanks to rick.leeds for his contribution regarding Adjustments/Builds to this FAQ)

DRAWS - A Victory shared by more than 1 player

MOVEMENT - See Unit Actions.

SPECIAL TERRITORIES:

---SPECIAL 'HYBRID' PROVINCES - Denmark, Kiel, Constantinople - These territories can be occupied by either Army or Fleet units and either type of unit can 'move through' the territory. For fleets there are coastal or sea zones adjacent to all surrounding territories. For instance a Fleet can move from Baltic, to Denmark, then to North Sea. An Army can move from Kiel to Denmark to Sweden. Fleets can travel through Constantinople, and Kiel, entering through 1 coast and exiting from the other the following turn. Armies of course cannot occupy sea zones.

---SPECIAL 'COAST SPECIFIC' PROVINCES - 3 provinces on the board generate common questions in relation to fleet movement and occupation, St Petersburg (STP), Spain (SPA), and Bulgaria (BUL). Those provinces have coasts, STP nc and STP sc, SPA nc and SPA sc, and BUL ec and BUL sc, with nc and sc and ec standing for North, South or East coasts respectivly. In these provinces Fleet units (only fleets) MUST occupy a specific Coast of that province if they are in that territory. Exiting the territory, or supporting out of the territory, can only be done to territories that are adjacent to that specific Coast.

UNIT ACTIONS - Units, regardless of type, can be ordered to perform 3 basic functions, ATTACK, HOLD and SUPPORT. FLEET units can also be ordered to CONVOY, while Army units can travel via Convoy. It is sometimes helpful to think if the orders in terms of Movement and Stationary actions when it comes to supports. Units that Move can be supported in that movement (Attack) while units that are stationary (units that Hold, Convoy, or themselves Support) can be supported to remain Stationary against an Attack.

---ATTACKs can also be referred to as Moves as, if they are successful, the end result is the same. Any unit ordered to move to another location Attacks that location even if no one is present to defend it. An Attack can only be made into a territory adjacent to the unit's starting position or one that is accessible to them as a result of a Convoy order. Fleets can Attack Sea territories, and Coastal land territories, while Armies can Attack land territories only. Attacking a zone the unit cannot reach themselves (ie Army ordered into a Sea zone) results in an illegal order and the unit Holds. An attack to a location can be supported by another unit, and a unit in that location can hold and be supported to hold. An attacking unit cannot DISLODGE a unit already in a territory unless the attack is supported. A failed attack is often called a Bounce. You cannot order your own units to attack each other, those orders are illegal and result in holds. You can order your units to attack into the same space and they will bounce back. You cannot order a support for one of your units and have one attack succeed.

---HOLDs can be ordered, but they can also result from not ordering a unit to move, or ordering a unit to move in a manner that is, at the time of movement adjudication, considered illegal. The default order for a unit is the HOLD. A unit that HOLDs can be supported, but there is some debate as to if a unit that is ordered to move in a manner that eventually results in a HOLD (ie a failed convoy or illegal Attack order) can be supported to HOLD. Units in CIVIL DISORDER also Hold by default and they can be supported. You can support your own units actions, or another players, but you cannot legally support another players attack on your units.

---SUPPORT is an order written for 1 or more units to support a specific 'target' units action. The Action that is supported can be either a MOVE, CONVOY or a HOLD order. For purposes of the CONVOY order the unit that is ordered to conduct the CONVOY (fleet only of course) can be SUPPORTED against an Attack and potential Dislodging of that convoying unit by another unit. You do not actually SUPPORT the CONVOY action, but rather you SUPPORT the named unit to stay in place. RETREAT, BUILD, or Illegal orders cannot be supported per se. Any unit that can MOVE from it's current location, into a province regardless of coastal distinctions for fleets, can SUPPORT a Unit to HOLD (or CONVOY) in that province, or can SUPPORT a MOVE into that province by another unit. 3 provinces on the board generate common questions regarding supports with fleets, St Petersburg (STP), Spain (SPA), and Bulgaria (BUL). Those provinces have coasts, STP nc and STP sc, SPA nc and SPA sc, and BUL ec and BUL sc, with nc and sc and ec standing for North, South or East coasts respectivly. If your fleet unit can reach any coast of that province (1, or the other, or both), it can both SUPPORT a MOVE into the province in its entirety, and SUPPORT a unit in that province to HOLD against another unit's order to MOVE there. SUPPORT into a province, either to HOLD there or to MOVE there are not specific to a Coast. This means my fleet in Barents Sea, near STP nc, can support the MOVE of a fleet in Livonia into STP sc (the only coast it can reach), and the order is valid. Please note, this can be confusing to new players. If your unit is in the province itself, and is a Fleet on a coast, it can only support Actions in provinces that it can MOVE to itself. This means that the unit in STP sc that attacked from Livonia cannot SUPPORT my unit in Barents Sea to MOVE to Norway on the next turn. This is because it cannot MOVE there itself. For quick reference I have included the following list broken out with the Province and Coastal Designation, and the places that units in that Province/Coast can SUPPORT Actions in. STP nc - Barents Sea, Norway. STP sc - Livonia, Gulf of Bothnia, Finland. SPA nc - Gascony, Mid-Atlantic Ocean, Portugal. SPA sc - Mid-Atlantic Ocean, Portugal, Western Mediterranean, Gulf of Lyons, Marseilles. BUL sc - Greece, Aegean Sea, Constantinople. BUL ec - Rumania, Black Sea, Constantinople.

---BREAKING SUPPORT occurs when a unit that is ordered to support the action of another unit is itself attacked, unless it is attacked only by the unit that it was providing support against. In this case the unit that is attacked can no longer support another units actions and, instead, turns to defend itself. The Support order is no longer valid even if the unit that was attacked is not dislodged or is supported itself.

---CONVOY is the movement of an Army unit by Fleet units occupying 1 or more Sea zones to a coastal Zone. To order a convoy on Playdiplomacy you need to first order the Army unit to move from its point of origin to its destination, even if that destination is not normally adjacent. For instance ordering A-London to Brest is normally an illegal order, however if it is accompanied by a convoy order for the fleet or fleets in between the order will be legal at the point of order adjudication. After you have ordered the Army's attack you order the intervening Fleets to Convoy that unit from its point of Origin to the destination. For instance F-English Channel Convoys A London to Brest. The Convoy can travel through 1 zone, or more, as long as all the intervening fleet units order the convoy. Convoy's can be ordered for units other than the players own, as long as the orders all match. Another player can convoy your units, and you can convoy another players units if you so choose. A player can also order multiple convoy routes and, as long as 1 convoy route is valid at the time of adjudication, the convoy will succeed. If a single unit in the Convoy chain is dislodged the entire convoy is broken up. In the example above player A orders F-English Channel Convoys A London to Brest but, worried that English Channel might be attacked and dislodged, breaking up the Convoy. As a result Player A also orders his fleets in North Sea, Norwegian Sea, North Atlantic Ocean and Mid Atlantic Ocean to Convoy A London to Breast as well. When Player B's units in Picardy, Belgium and Wales combine to attack and dislodge the Fleet in English Channel the convoy still goes through as the alternate route is still valid at the point of adjudication.

---RETREATS - A displaced unit that is dislodged from the territory it started the turn in must retreat. Retreat rules are similar to movement rules; you can retreat to any adjacent space the retreating unit could normally move to. But there are two important exceptions to keep in mind. FIRST, a retreating unit cannot retreat into the space the attacking unit came from even if it is adjacent. SECOND, you cannot retreat into a space that has been left unoccupied by a stand off (2 armies both moving to a territory but bouncing and unable to take the territory). If your unit cannot retreat you must destroy it. If you do not order a retreat for a dislodged unit before the game turn advances it will be destroyed even if it could have retreated to a territory successfully. This is often called a Voluntary Destroy and is often done as part of a strategy to move a unit to a home center or replace a unit of one type with another. Retreating units can move in to and occupy a supply centre by retreating. If 2 units Retreat to the same space both units are destroyed. Retreats are taken as the last action of a season’s (Fall, Spring) turn. This means that if a retreating unit retreats into an unoccupied supply centre it occupies the SC in the same way it would if it had moved there. This newly occupied centre counts towards builds and disbands for the Build phase if it is still held at the end of that year’s Fall turn. (Thanks to rick.leeds for his contribution regarding Retreats in this FAQ)

PLEASE POST OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FAQ
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Diplomacy Rules FAQ

Postby Diplomat » 02 Mar 2009, 19:23

Post your ideas on what needs to be in the FAQ below and we will add to it as we go
Diplomat

Postby infinity8ball » 02 Mar 2009, 22:04

Let's see... common ones I think are:

How does a convoy work? done...
How do you support a fleet? Support an army with a fleet? done...
Can you bounce yourself? done...
What happens if I have more builds than home centers? pending
Can I convoy someone else's army? done...
Can I support a unit (to hold) that is supporting something else? done....
How do I propose/accept/deny a draw? pending...

Just off the top of my head!
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby camroc » 02 Mar 2009, 23:38

Infinity said:

How do I propose/accept/deny a draw?

I presume it is the propose/accept parts that you have a difficulty with? ;)
camroc

Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 03 Mar 2009, 08:57

Oh yes, and feel free to kick in some explanations for the things you think need to be included... :|
Diplomat

Postby EarlOfWessex » 03 Mar 2009, 17:26

we get a lot of questions about support, and the explanation is long and tedious if you want to cover all angles and possibilites, so perhaps a graphic explanation would be better? I'd be willing to do this when i've a little more time...
Who are you?
...................................................................I am the new number two.
Who is number one?
...................................................................you are number 6
I am not a number, I'm a FREE MAN
EarlOfWessex

Postby Diplomat » 03 Mar 2009, 19:22

Feel free to see what you can come up with.
Diplomat

Postby Waterice man » 17 Mar 2009, 23:12

I'd like to know what the 'Beta Test server' is, not being a premium member (yet)
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

The word 'surrender' derives from old French
Waterice man

Postby rick.leeds » 22 Mar 2009, 07:14

(I hope no-one minds me doing this...)

RETREATS - A displaced unit must retreat. Retreat rules are the same as movement rules: you can retreat to any space the retreating unit could normally move to. But there are two exceptins. FIRST, you cannot retreat into the space the attacking unit came from. SECOND, you cannot retreat into a space that has been left unoccupied by a stand off. If your unit cannot retreat you must destroy it.

The bit people sometimes forget is that you can occupy a supply centre by retreating. Retreats are taken as part of the season's turn. This means that if a retreating unit retreats into an unoccupied supply centre it occupies the SC in the same way it would if it had moved there. This newly occupied centre counts towards builds and disbands for the Build phase.

VOLUNTARY DESTROYS - Instead of retreating a player may choose to destroy a unit. This is true even if the unit could retreat AND even if the player does not need to destroy a unit in the Builds phase. It is a tactical decision that may be taken if, say, a unit could be stranded and better positioned in a home centre. It is also possible to voluntarily destroy a fleet and re-build an army and vice versa.

BUILDS - A player gains a build for every newly occupied supply centre controlled at the end of a Fall season (including retreats). This usually means a new unit may be built. HOWEVER this is only the case if a player has an "open" (unoccupied) supply centre in the home country (although this may alter in some Variants - Build Anywhere, AoE - when a player can build in any unoccupied supply centre that player owns).

If, however, all the home centres (in the classic game) are occupied, or another player controls an SC in your home country, you cannot build there. This doesn't necessarily mean the build is lost, however. If no other player has captured the SC that earned you the build at the end of subsequent Fall turns, and a viable build centre has opened up, you can claim the build then.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby Diplomat » 27 Mar 2009, 10:21

Thanks Rick! See the top post.
Diplomat

Next

Return to Regular Rules Issues Explained