Quick Guide: Support order.

Some questions come up a lot... look here for simple explanations of the rules.

Re: Support order.

Postby presser84 » 26 May 2012, 19:52

Cheruvim wrote:So I have a question about diagram 14 in the rule book.

Basically would both armies be disloged? The diagram is supposed to be showing the example of how a disloged army can't affect the territory from which the attack that disloged it came from. So that means it can't stop the army from Sev moving to Rum, but would both Rum and Bul armies need to retreat?

I think the answer is "Yes" and my reasoning is like this.. the attack on Rum = 2 the unit is not holding and = 1 So the attack on Rum wins. The attack on Bul = 3 and the unit is not holding so = 1 and thus both units are dislodged and must retreat, but what gets me is that if that is true, any attack that dislodges you while not holding causes your attack to fail, since supporting a hold on a unit that is not holding has no affect. I mean that makes the most sense to me, but I just want to make sure I have this right before I dive in.

Thanks,
C.

I believe you are referencing this from the rule book.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (208 KiB) Viewed 3798 times

Remember that two armies can not switch places in adjacent territories without a convoy. Bulgaria is attacked from Rumania with a strength of 3 (Rum, Ser, Gre). Rumania is attacked with the strength of 2 (Bul and Bla Sea). 3>2. What happens here is that the Army in Bulgaria is dislodged by the army in Rumania moving to Bulgaria. Turkey's attack on Rumania fails becuase it only has a force of 2.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Support order.

Postby Cheruvim » 30 May 2012, 04:50

presser84 wrote:
Cheruvim wrote:So I have a question about diagram 14 in the rule book.

Basically would both armies be disloged? The diagram is supposed to be showing the example of how a disloged army can't affect the territory from which the attack that disloged it came from. So that means it can't stop the army from Sev moving to Rum, but would both Rum and Bul armies need to retreat?

I think the answer is "Yes" and my reasoning is like this.. the attack on Rum = 2 the unit is not holding and = 1 So the attack on Rum wins. The attack on Bul = 3 and the unit is not holding so = 1 and thus both units are dislodged and must retreat, but what gets me is that if that is true, any attack that dislodges you while not holding causes your attack to fail, since supporting a hold on a unit that is not holding has no affect. I mean that makes the most sense to me, but I just want to make sure I have this right before I dive in.

Thanks,
C.

I believe you are referencing this from the rule book.
Untitled.jpg

Yes, my confusion is why Turkey doesn't dislodge the Bulgarian attacking army since 2>1 but I guess there are only two outcomes when two territories attack each other at the same time... bounce or one gets dislodged depending on who is the stronger power.

Thanks for the clarification.

C.
Remember that two armies can not switch places in adjacent territories without a convoy. Bulgaria is attacked from Rumania with a strength of 3 (Rum, Ser, Gre). Rumania is attacked with the strength of 2 (Bul and Bla Sea). 3>2. What happens here is that the Army in Bulgaria is dislodged by the army in Rumania moving to Bulgaria. Turkey's attack on Rumania fails becuase it only has a force of 2.
Cheruvim

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Re: Quick Guide: Support order.

Postby NewHalburk » 24 Dec 2015, 00:11

Okay, I made this set of orders recently

F Spain (SC) to Portugal
A Marsaille Support F Spain (SC) to Hold

There was a fleet in Portugal and F Spain (SC) bounced
Would the support order effect F Spain (SC)? Or is it basically useless?
NewHalburk

Standard rating: (805)
All-game rating: (811)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WHSeward » 24 Dec 2015, 01:19

It is useless. A unit ordered to move may not be supported to hold.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Shampoo » 01 Jan 2017, 15:46

WHSeward wrote:It is useless. A unit ordered to move may not be supported to hold.

Can a unit A which ordered to support B -> C be supported to hold by D (D supports A to hold)?

Suppose A gets attacked with support, does A hold if he gave a supportorder but was supported to hold by D?
Shampoo

Standard rating: (1258)
All-game rating: (1248)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Carebear » 01 Jan 2017, 16:09

VincentK wrote:Can a unit A which ordered to support B -> C be supported to hold by D (D supports A to hold)?

Suppose A gets attacked with support, does A hold if he gave a supportorder but was supported to hold by D?

Yes, unit A did not move and therefore may receive support to hold. However, when attacked, its support of B to C is cut.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Shampoo » 01 Jan 2017, 17:14

Thanks!
Shampoo

Postby Shampoo » 02 Jan 2017, 21:52

One more question. A supports B to hold. B moves to C but bounces. Is B still supported by A to hold?
Shampoo

Postby musashisamurai » 02 Jan 2017, 22:00

VincentK wrote:One more question. A supports B to hold. B moves to C but bounces. Is B still supported by A to hold?

I wouldn't think so, because B wasn't ordered to hold.

This is a good way to trip up allies during a backstab, because their units would effectively be doing nothing if they had supported you and you did something else.
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Carebear » 03 Jan 2017, 00:45

VincentK wrote:One more question. A supports B to hold. B moves to C but bounces. Is B still supported by A to hold?

No, even though unit B remained in place, it moved and cannot receive a hold support.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

PreviousNext

Return to Regular Rules Issues Explained