Quick Guide: The Convoy

Some questions come up a lot... look here for simple explanations of the rules.

Re: The Convoy

Postby jaelis » 20 Mar 2012, 15:51

Here's what the current rules have to say:
Land and Convoy Routes
In some rare cases, orders are written so that an Army could arrive at its destination either by land or convoy. When this happens, the following qualifiers apply:
• If at least one of the convoying Fleets belongs to the player who controls the Army, then the convoy is used. The land route is disregarded.

• If none of the convoying Fleets belongs to the player who controls the Army, then the land route is used. However, the player controlling the Army can use the convoy route if he or she indicated “via convoy” on the Army move order in question.

This prevents foreign powers from kidnapping an Army and convoying it against its will.

The intent of this rule is clear: a unit only takes the convoy route if it's owner intends it to. The way it is implemented on this site isn't quite how the rules describe it, but it does follow the rules intent.

There is a case though, where I think our implementation is in error. Say you want to move from Belgium to Holland, and would be happy with either the convoy or land route. According to the official rules, you could order:
Bel-Hol
Nth convoy Bel-Hol
If your opponent orders Hol-Bel, then you can take the convoy and swap places. On the other hand, if your opponent orders Hol-Kie but also dislodges your fleet in Nth, you can take the land route. I think that our current implementation wouldn't get that right, because you'd have to specify one of the routes in your orders.
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 20 Mar 2012, 15:57

I disagree...because since you can bounce if you go by land, and convoy around if you go by sea. You have to pick one first, you cant chose which result is better for you after the fact.

The reason you can order multiple convoys is because you are convoying through however you can get there...But you are still convoying no matter what. The adjacent land space is not a convoy no matter what, its a bounce maybe/convoy maybe.

I think our site has the spirit of the rules in full force...but also a PM to Dipsy perhaps is in order to have him check this thread and see if we are all wrong.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1371
All-game rating: 1534
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby jaelis » 20 Mar 2012, 16:38

asudevil wrote:I disagree...because since you can bounce if you go by land, and convoy around if you go by sea. You have to pick one first, you cant chose which result is better for you after the fact.

I guess it comes down to interpreting "disregarded." Looking it up, there are two definitions:
1. to pay no attention to; leave out of consideration; ignore: "Disregard the footnotes."
2. to treat without due regard, respect, or attentiveness; slight: "to disregard an invitation."

I guess I was using the second one, in the sense that the convoy route would be preferred if available. You're using the first, where the land route is ignored all together. But on balance, I think your reading is stronger here, so we probably are doing it the best way.
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Regular Rules Issues Explained