Is racism somewhat inevitable from multiculturalism?

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: Is racism somewhat inevitable from multiculturalism?

Postby Strategus » 16 Dec 2018, 00:39

I don't see where you said it was the victim's fault?
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1730
Timezone: GMT

Postby UFO Fever » 16 Dec 2018, 01:08

Oh Cheese wrote:The root cause of racism is not multiculturalism. For sure, that exacerbates the problem. The reason racism exists in the first place though, is because of human's competitive nature, as well as our inclination to be suspicious of what we do not know or understand.

Additionally, in my very honest opinion, the biggest propellor of racism is the victims themselves. They lash out that someone made them feel bad by calling them a "nigger", etc. They choose to be offended by it. Why? Why not choose to be not offended. Why don't you choose to be proud of your skin colour, and understand that this neither makes you a greater or lesser person? Or is the driving factor here that you yourself believe you're inferior, because of your skin colour. If you believe you're inferior, you become inferior. By screaming "he called me a nigger and that offends me" you're only inviting more people to offend you in the future. If you just think, "you're trying to put me down, but I don't care because I know my worth" and do nothing, that triggers nothing. Nobody gets a kick out of mocking you, and so they don't do it again.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Oh my god, here it is bolded. And why do you keep saying "you" as if I'm the one that said it. I'm referring to someone else.
Formerly Napoleon Hitler (but not in a pro-Nazi kind of way)
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby UFO Fever » 16 Dec 2018, 01:09

Oh Cheese wrote:
Agnimandur wrote: have you ever wondered why it is entirely socially acceptable to call a Caucasian person "white", but it is incredibly offensive to call an Asian person "yellow"? Fundamentally, both colors are simple, somewhat accurate descriptions.

No, because I know the reason is white people generally don't mind being called white... Because the minority's inferiority complex becomes the driving force - i.e. the 'blacks' and 'yellows' keep squealing as soon as someone refers to the fact that they look different from other races, and they CHOOSE to take this as an insult. THEY perceive that their skin colour makes them a lesser person, and that is why society accepts people being called white, but not any other colour. It is racist only because the victim cries out, and needs to be reassured that the world doesn't hate them just because of the colour of their skin... But do they listen? No. If they did, racism wouldn't exist. However it perpetuates, and only because of the victims, not the name-callers.

And here's double down part 2: electric boogaloo. This post you yourself quoted and said you agree with it.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby UFO Fever » 16 Dec 2018, 01:19

Strategus wrote:
Oh Cheese wrote:
Agnimandur wrote: have you ever wondered why it is entirely socially acceptable to call a Caucasian person "white", but it is incredibly offensive to call an Asian person "yellow"? Fundamentally, both colors are simple, somewhat accurate descriptions.

No, because I know the reason is white people generally don't mind being called white... Because the minority's inferiority complex becomes the driving force - i.e. the 'blacks' and 'yellows' keep squealing as soon as someone refers to the fact that they look different from other races, and they CHOOSE to take this as an insult. THEY perceive that their skin colour makes them a lesser person, and that is why society accepts people being called white, but not any other colour. It is racist only because the victim cries out, and needs to be reassured that the world doesn't hate them just because of the colour of their skin... But do they listen? No. If they did, racism wouldn't exist. However it perpetuates, and only because of the victims, not the name-callers.

I agree wth this. I also think that racism and really any type of insult really depends on the INTENT. If something is intended to be racist, then it is, whatever language is used, and if it is not intended to be, then it isn't, regardless of whether taboos are ignored (or even the person is ignorant of them).

A sort of example I had recently at work was a guy leaving the team to work in another area of the company. My boss is a young woman late twenties, and got him a card to say thanks for all he has done. Now he is a black guy of West Indian heritage in his early twenties. She got him a card with a bunch of bananas on it, with the phrase "thanks a bunch" on it. So she passed the card around for us to sign. Now I am in my fifties, and I would not have chosen that card, as I would consider the possibility that it COULD cause offence. Knowing the woman who got the card is a really nice person, who had obviously no idea of the possibility, I thought about telling her this, but decided that if she was that innocent of this part of life, it would be better if she stayed that way. So it got signed, and the guy loved it. No offence intended, and certainly none taken. I thought after that maybe if the guy was my age he might have taken offence. But that's a moot point.

So anyway, to answer V's original question, I think multiculturalism both creates the problem, but also solves the problem. But I think based on my experience it is a generational thing. The younger generation are much more diverse, and much more used to it. I think the more open the world is to movement of people, the more diverse it will get and the more tolerant, and less prejudiced people will be. At the present time, there are still a lot of communities out there, where there are pockets of people whomare isolated from multiculturalism, and I think those places are ehere the problem still exists. Bad habits are passed down the generations in these areas. Nut over time, I believe this will disappear, as the world grows smaller.

So Strategus, here is you explicitly agreeing with the statement that racism only exists because the victims are bothered by it. Why should we not hold this standard to all evil things. Genocide only exists because entire ethnicities just happened to have gotten themselves killed. Rape only exists because people were offended by the lack of consent. You see how this is a stupid fucking statement, at absolute best?
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby willie23 » 16 Dec 2018, 03:18

“So Strategus, here is you explicitly agreeing with the statement that racism only exists because the victims are bothered by it. Why should we not hold this standard to all evil things. Genocide only exists because entire ethnicities just happened to have gotten themselves killed. Rape only exists because people were offended by the lack of consent. You see how this is a stupid fucking statement, at absolute best?”—UFO Fever

I don’t think your logic holds up here, UFO. Rape and genocide aren’t in the same categories as racism, first of all. Secondly, I don’t think that he was trying to say that all evil things exist because people are bothered by them, not was he saying that racism only exists because people are bothered by it. I think that Strategus and Oh Cheese make some really good points, and I tend to agree with both of them.
“Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible;”— General T. J. Jackson

Bronze Member of the Classicists
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23

Location: Lordsburg, New Mexico, USA (Right on Interstate-10)
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 999
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UFO Fever » 16 Dec 2018, 03:32

willie23 wrote:“So Strategus, here is you explicitly agreeing with the statement that racism only exists because the victims are bothered by it. Why should we not hold this standard to all evil things. Genocide only exists because entire ethnicities just happened to have gotten themselves killed. Rape only exists because people were offended by the lack of consent. You see how this is a stupid fucking statement, at absolute best?”—UFO Fever

I don’t think your logic holds up here, UFO. Rape and genocide aren’t in the same categories as racism, first of all. Secondly, I don’t think that he was trying to say that all evil things exist because people are bothered by them, not was he saying that racism only exists because people are bothered by it. I think that Strategus and Oh Cheese make some really good points, and I tend to agree with both of them.

Oh Cheese literally stated that racism wouldn't exist if the victims weren't offended by it. Tell that to the families of everyone that has been lynched, see what they say.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Oh Cheese » 16 Dec 2018, 09:36

UFO Fever - where does your need to round people up against the one person you disagree with? Kinda ironic that you do in a debate about racism, but I'm only going to listen to accurate and contextual criticism, and you blow my statement way out of proportion. I'm not saying we ignore 'murders and rapes' as you so strongly attest. Why do you need to round a bunch of anonymous guys up against another, in an exchange that will be read by about 30 people in the world. tops?

You have your opinion, thank you for expressing, and I have mine - thank you for listening, and thank you for accepting that it's a valid opinion, which others are perfectly within their rights agreeing (or disagreeing) with.

Merry Christmas.
Last edited by Oh Cheese on 16 Dec 2018, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1167
All-game rating: 1229
Timezone: GMT+6

Postby condude1 » 16 Dec 2018, 10:17

willie23 wrote:I don’t think your logic holds up here, UFO. Rape and genocide aren’t in the same categories as racism, first of all. Secondly, I don’t think that he was trying to say that all evil things exist because people are bothered by them, not was he saying that racism only exists because people are bothered by it. I think that Strategus and Oh Cheese make some really good points, and I tend to agree with both of them.

I mean, genocide is kinda the same category as racism. Rape less so, but genocide always stems from racism (This is NOT to imply racism always leads to genocide. But every genocide ever has been caused by racism, by definition.)

An easy comparison would be saying depression and suicide aren't in the same category. They totally are, even if suicide's the extreme of depression.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby UFO Fever » 16 Dec 2018, 10:19

Oh Cheese wrote:UFO Fever - where does your need to round people up against the one person you disagree with? Kinda ironic that you do in a debate about racism, but I'm only going to listen to accurate and contextual criticism, but you blow my statement way out of proportion. I'm not saying we ignore 'murders and rapes' as you so strongly attest. Why do you need to round a bunch of anonymous guys up against another, in an exchange that will be read by about 30 people in the world. tops?

You have your opinion, thank you for expressing, and I have mine - thank you for listening, and thank you for accepting that it's a valid opinion, which others are perfectly within their rights agreeing (or disagreeing) with.

Merry Christmas.

If by "valid" you mean bigoted, then yes, your opinion is bigoted. You are speaking like a bigot.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Oh Cheese » 16 Dec 2018, 10:48

LOL - if you take half a nanosecond to consider my actual stance you will understand that I am not speaking like a bigot, but indeed that you are reasoning like an idiot.
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1167
All-game rating: 1229
Timezone: GMT+6

PreviousNext

Return to Debates