It took a few years but I get it now!!

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: It took a few years but I get it now!!

Postby Machiara » 14 Sep 2017, 22:52

Point, NPI10D. *updates scoreboard*
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1961
All-game rating: 1992
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Tarsier » 14 Sep 2017, 23:01

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
Tarsier wrote:I am referring to a player choosing a draw premature to himself seeing a contextual reason to do so.

I think the player you have defined here is somewhat of a contradiction. I don't think any player under normal conditions chooses to push for a draw without a "contextual reason to do so."

What's likely different is the threshold of "contextual reason" that you find acceptable versus the threshold that they find acceptable.

Probably not exactly the way you word it. But I think there are plenty of players who consistently enough (by their own admission) jump right into a partnership to which they pledge total fidelity (unless stabbed), that it sort of fits my criteria. What I'm arguing is that these players would benefit (in my opinion) from calibrating their ambitions toward solos more than they do.

I honestly believe that there are players who, because they have suffered some losses early on, do not believe themselves capable of solos and therefore rely too heavily on draws. I suspect a lot of them would surprise themselves if they took a few more gambles.
Tarsier

Standard rating: (1975)
All-game rating: (2069)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 Sep 2017, 01:37

Tarsier wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:
Tarsier wrote:I am referring to a player choosing a draw premature to himself seeing a contextual reason to do so.

I think the player you have defined here is somewhat of a contradiction. I don't think any player under normal conditions chooses to push for a draw without a "contextual reason to do so."

What's likely different is the threshold of "contextual reason" that you find acceptable versus the threshold that they find acceptable.

Probably not exactly the way you word it. But I think there are plenty of players who consistently enough (by their own admission) jump right into a partnership to which they pledge total fidelity (unless stabbed), that it sort of fits my criteria. What I'm arguing is that these players would benefit (in my opinion) from calibrating their ambitions toward solos more than they do.

I honestly believe that there are players who, because they have suffered some losses early on, do not believe themselves capable of solos and therefore rely too heavily on draws. I suspect a lot of them would surprise themselves if they took a few more gambles.

I certainly agree with what you say here. Most players that take the road of early game fidelity would benefit from taking more risks. But being pressured to do so, particularly in-game, may only reinforce the notion that they need such an alliance. If one's non-allied opponents, that one is currently beating, start proffering suggestions, said suggestions are likely to be ignored (even if they're good advice).

The better education would be to sniff out such diehard allies as early as possible and get them on your side. Then you, the better tactician, can demonstrate firsthand how a more solo-oriented approach can lead to better results.

By leaving them bleeding on the side of the road.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1273
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Tarsier » 15 Sep 2017, 06:04

NoPunIn10Did wrote:The better education would be to sniff out such diehard allies as early as possible and get them on your side. Then you, the better tactician, can demonstrate firsthand how a more solo-oriented approach can lead to better results.

Maybe GSMX will chime in here about how a former player named awfulthings did just this, teaching him the nature of a soloist. He might also share the very unique and embarrassing (to me) conclusion of that game.
Tarsier

Standard rating: (1975)
All-game rating: (2069)
Timezone: GMT

Postby DQ » 15 Sep 2017, 16:25

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
I certainly agree with what you say here. Most players that take the road of early game fidelity would benefit from taking more risks. But being pressured to do so, particularly in-game, may only reinforce the notion that they need such an alliance. If one's non-allied opponents, that one is currently beating, start proffering suggestions, said suggestions are likely to be ignored (even if they're good advice).

The better education would be to sniff out such diehard allies as early as possible and get them on your side. Then you, the better tactician, can demonstrate firsthand how a more solo-oriented approach can lead to better results.

This is pretty much always sound advice.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1062
All-game rating: 1063

Postby David E. Cohen » 16 Sep 2017, 02:14

My ears are burning.
My Dip site: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/

The warrior's Way is the twofold Way of pen and sword.

Weep not, Alexander. There will always be another world to conquer.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby WHSeward » 16 Sep 2017, 02:15

I was wondering when you would post, David. :)
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby springbutt46 » 21 Nov 2017, 01:57

Holy Freaking macaroni!! I can't believe this went on for a month!! I can't believe I just read it all (skimmed here... dug in there)! I can't believe I am adding to it!!

First of all thanks to ALL who participated. It was truly illuminating! Truly!!

When I originally posted I had hoped to express an evolution of my thinking... I in no way expected this debate. Bravo to one and all for adding your thoughts.

I should also say I AM a believer in live and let live. While I prefer to live (play) differently, I do not exclude others for how they live (play) even if I object to it. I have friends who are draw-seekers, (it's just a label, not an insult). Good friends. Life-ling friends I hope. I didn't expect to change anyone's mind about how they played, I know better than that, I just wanted to say. "hey it happened to me".

Please... all... if you open a new game.. regardless of your leanings... and you need a player... I'd love an invite. i just love to play.

Thanks again!!
Spring
Classicist, Platinum Member.
Premium Member.
NEVER Surrender.
and I play discgolf too.
springbutt46
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1443
All-game rating: 1454