Microchip employees

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Would you let your employer microchip you?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 24

Re: Microchip employees

Postby joe92 » 01 Aug 2017, 11:42

For me, the negatives outweigh the positives.

I have liberty and I have pride. I'm not an animal, I'm not a robot. I'm a human. I lose my keys occasionally and same with my cards. It's annoying as hell when it happens, but I'd much rather have that annoyance than be tagged like a common household pet or a farm animal. Like I'm the property of my employer.

The convenience argument is compelling, but it's not enough. The main issue is that with the chip you have no control. You can't choose when it's on and when it's off. It's always on. And you can't remove it. It's embedded into your body.

If you could control when the chip was on then I would be interested. For example, using a hand gesture to activate it: if you had to press your thumb, your forefinger and your third finger together to activate the chip then you have control over it. You can sit on the tube knowing that no one could possibly be scanning your details as you're not making the hand gesture. The invasion of privacy is no longer an issue as you have control over when the chip is activated. Like with a credit card, you have control over how you use it. It eliminates most of the negatives except the issue of removing the chip easily, which would be exceptionally difficult to achieve.

PatCleburne, your twist to the question is an interesting one. However, I don't think it would go that way round; that you get the chip and you get x amount more money. It would likely go the other way, like Cardlinger says:
Cardlinger wrote:Is refusing also ensuring no pay rises, promotions, or autonomy? If so it's more of a 'this job isn't for me' rather than 'this option isn't for me'.

StarkAdder wrote:I seem to be the only "Yes" vote so far. My reasoning: like it or not, it's coming.

That's only the case if we all roll over and take it.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Emergence

Platinum Classicist

None
joe92
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1097
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT

Postby dulles » 01 Aug 2017, 13:23

It depends on how badly I need that job. I do not like the idea at all but I have to eat and feed my family. So you do what you have to do.
dulles

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1088)
All-game rating: (1090)

Postby PatCleburne » 01 Aug 2017, 21:14

I suspect it would my version first, Cardlinger's second. At first: a voluntary, incentivized trial program. Nothing permanent! Just an experiment!

And then later, other things.

joe92 wrote: PatCleburne, your twist to the question is an interesting one. However, I don't think it would go that way round; that you get the chip and you get x amount more money. It would likely go the other way, like Cardlinger says:
Cardlinger wrote:Is refusing also ensuring no pay rises, promotions, or autonomy? If so it's more of a 'this job isn't for me' rather than 'this option isn't for me'.

StarkAdder wrote:I seem to be the only "Yes" vote so far. My reasoning: like it or not, it's coming.

That's only the case if we all roll over and take it.
- "As between the loss of independence and the loss of slavery, we assume that every patriot will freely give up the latter — give up the negro slave rather than be a slave himself." Patrick Cleburne, 1864.
PatCleburne

Standard rating: (1146)
All-game rating: (1418)

Postby V » 01 Aug 2017, 22:27

USA employers are currently so abusive towards junior staff, that to be trusted with this technology is "Fox in the Henhouse stuff".

My son works for a large famous (to be nameless here) US corporation in California & has been told he will get a promotion in 2017. He tops the district sales figures each month & has been trained in a junior management role ahead of the anticipated promotion.

He called me, there are 5 appropriate vacancies in the district & he was "told" to apply for the panel interview. Problem is all candidates will be interviewed on the basis they have all applied for all 5 positions. Successful applicants will be notified which position they get! At that point to refuse is career suicide, to not apply is career suicide, so it's a lottery. He may get a job where he wants to work, or he may not. Tough luck, if he gets a bad location, he's doing it anyway!

I was never treated with such disrespect during my early sales days in London back in the 90's. By the time I was selling in California I was good enough to tell a company that tried such a stunt to go F--- itself. My son has just a few years of patience, before he can provide that response & meanwhile takes the abuse. I wonder what US personnel departments do for their living in USA. Practises like this will only cause animosity that will hurt future company loyalty. Madness.

Glad I'm out of it now. "Wasn't like that in the old days":-) Back to my retirement beer.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1682
All-game rating: 1707
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sjg11 » 03 Aug 2017, 12:39

To me, it seems like a classic issue with technology. As ever the question is that, is the increased convenience worth the loss of privacy/the increasing control that technology seems to have over civilisation? Is convenience worth the potential for abuse which it gives an employer?

As ever, with these questions, I lean towards no. Smartphones are a great example of this.

Yes, it's convenient that I can check the news when I'm wandering around. Yes it's convenient that I can input Diplomacy orders on my phone. Yes it's convenient that I can order a pizza while having a shit.

But, it's not worth the fact that you're constantly expected to be linked in all the time. Now I've just graduated from uni and haven't started work yet so bear in mind that I have no direct experience of this... but it does seem to me like there is an increasing expectation from employers towards employees that I need to be available all day, every day.

And that's without going into the impact that smartphones have had on certain service industries.

Frankly, it's stressful. So no, the convenience is not worth the stress/loss of privacy it causes.

As ever the question should be, how can a nasty employer abuse this technology? And the fact is that microchips are open to abuse from employers.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 908
All-game rating: 899

Postby GPD » 03 Aug 2017, 12:47

Maybe we could turn the tables. If somebody invented an extraction tool, you could skick the microchip under your seat at work and make out you had been busy all day. :mrgreen:
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
GPD

Standard rating: 1706
All-game rating: 1766

Previous