Microchip employees

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Would you let your employer microchip you?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 24

Re: Microchip employees

Postby Fuddin » 31 Jul 2017, 18:53

uzes90 wrote:What if the chip gave you some benefits? LIke "mind-to-internet" connection?

There are certainly some cool ways these chips could potentially be used, but I'd feel too uncomfortable with the idea of putting something permanent in my body (or if not quite permanent, at least not easily removable) to use it.

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
GPD wrote:
PatCleburne wrote:Let me ask Joe's question this way -- how much extra would your employer have to pay you to make you consider this?

Liberty or Death!

Live free or Die- Home State Motto. ;)

Hey, Don Juan! You're from New Hampshire? Did you know that in your home state, prisoners stamp license plates with that motto?
Never Surrender. Never NMR. Also, screw kingmakers!
Fuddin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1092
All-game rating: 1097
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Cardlinger » 31 Jul 2017, 19:14

I think the negatives outweigh the positives in this situation.

Other forms of technology I'd be all over (thinking about how Glass has found a new lease of life in the workplace). And I read about someone modding a RFID chip so they could use it as a travel card.

So there are some precursors. The things that would boil it down for me was:

1) medical: what risk of rejection? Of it wandering and ending up in a blood vessel and causing me to have an aneurysm? Things move internally, that's already known. I'd want to be aware of the medical risks, since risk management is something we all do all day.

2) convenience vs security: what am I giving up in terms of data, privacy and overall security in exchange? Another thing we constantly do, when we shop with a credit card, log onto facebook, or post a letter.

3) employment/remuneration: what are the influence factors at play here? Is refusing also ensuring no pay rises, promotions, or autonomy? If so it's more of a 'this job isn't for me' rather than 'this option isn't for me'.

I think since 1) is unclear, 2) is weighed in favour of the employer, and 3) is unclear, I'd be inclined to pass and keep using logins, an RFID in my wallet and cash money to do the jobs they fancy. If UPS can do some analysis and find out fobs open doors quicker than keys I suspect other workplaces will try and pull the same. Hopefully a brisk union response will water down the most nefarious aims (massively reduced costs for increased profits to a few, and restricted autonomy for staff) in favour of broader ones (genuine convenience/efficiency, perhaps shared profits across the company...halcyon days).

A long way of saying I agree with everyone else. But I thought Glass was pretty cool, and what's the next step...something like in this Black Mirror episode :/

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pootleflump » 31 Jul 2017, 20:12

Those Black Mirror episodes really freaked me out, lol.

Very clever and compulsive viewing - but I couldn't sleep for ages afterwards!
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1861
All-game rating: 1909

Postby StarkAdder » 31 Jul 2017, 20:13

I seem to be the only "Yes" vote so far. My reasoning: like it or not, it's coming. I already have to use an ID to get into my office, and another one plus a password to log on. I live in fear of the odd day when I forget or lose my ID card -- it's not fun to spend an 8-hour workday without computer access nowadays. The way the chip is explained (no tracking capability, used for a variety of purposes) I find it no more onerous or nefarious than an ID card system, and we need to do something to fight back against cyber-criminals more effectively. If having a chip allowed me to use an ATM more securely, I'd support that too.
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1214
All-game rating: 1100

Postby Strategus » 31 Jul 2017, 20:17

StarkAdder wrote:I seem to be the only "Yes" vote so far. My reasoning: like it or not, it's coming. I already have to use an ID to get into my office, and another one plus a password to log on. I live in fear of the odd day when I forget or lose my ID card -- it's not fun to spend an 8-hour workday without computer access nowadays. The way the chip is explained (no tracking capability, used for a variety of purposes) I find it no more onerous or nefarious than an ID card system, and we need to do something to fight back against cyber-criminals more effectively. If having a chip allowed me to use an ATM more securely, I'd support that too.

As if identity theft isn't bad enough already...they will be able to clone you, as well as your credit card.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1659
All-game rating: 1721

Postby PatCleburne » 31 Jul 2017, 21:06

See, I think you all are way less principled than you think you are. If your employer said "listen, we'll give you five grand if you let us put this chip in you while you work here. It's cheaper for us, and anyway it's temporary," I bet sixty percent of the people in this conversation would take the money (myself included). I'm more or less tracked all the time anyway, since I have a smartphone. Why not get paid for it?

GPD wrote:
PatCleburne wrote:Let me ask Joe's question this way -- how much extra would your employer have to pay you to make you consider this?

Liberty or Death!

- "As between the loss of independence and the loss of slavery, we assume that every patriot will freely give up the latter — give up the negro slave rather than be a slave himself." Patrick Cleburne, 1864.
PatCleburne

Standard rating: (1146)
All-game rating: (1418)

Postby V » 31 Jul 2017, 21:13

I said 30, annually, in advance. 5! Stick that.:-)
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1664
All-game rating: 1689
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 31 Jul 2017, 21:30

Fuddin wrote:

Hey, Don Juan! You're from New Hampshire? Did you know that in your home state, prisoners stamp license plates with that motto?

Not aware, and don't really mind that they do.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

The USA in WitA7!
Britain in WitA8!
House Martell in DoIaF-III,
Athens in GCS4.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1081
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby amino » 31 Jul 2017, 22:40

uzes90 wrote:What if the chip gave you some benefits? LIke "mind-to-internet" connection?

This would actually be a con for me. The internet makes me massively unproductive, since the point of my job (studying) and the point of my job later (graduate school) rely on being able to think deeply for 3-4 hours at a time. The internet is directly opposed to that. (Of course, the internet is also supremely useful. But I want the ability to easily ignore it completely if I need to, and having it embedded in my body strikes me as placing way too much emphasis on my own self-control).

I would much rather have the freedom to set down all my cards and id's and phones and anything that forces to me to connect to someone else's idea of what's important 24/7.
amino

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1023)
All-game rating: (1023)

Postby condude1 » 31 Jul 2017, 22:56

It all depends. If I knew that there was no way for it to track me outside the office, and did improve my quality of life at work, I'd probably go for it. Most people lose WAY more security from carrying around a smartphone all the time anyways. Maybe it would be even better if it automatically went off once you left the office.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Debates