Microchip employees

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Would you let your employer microchip you?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 24

Microchip employees

Postby joe92 » 31 Jul 2017, 11:35

Microchipping employees. It's been in the news a lot lately now that a US firm is offering it as well. [1] [2] [3] [4]

The chip is an RFID chip. It's about the size of a rat dropping and fits beneath your skin between your thumb and your forefinger. It does not track you with GPS* and it has a short range; anything from a contactless credit card sort of distance up to a maximum of 15 metres depending on the antenna. The chip would allow you to log into work, unlock computers, and open doors without needing cards or keys. The future implication is that the chip could be used to pay for stuff from vending machines or a workplace cafeteria, or if accepted on a national scale then pay for stuff from restaurants and shops. If accepted on an international scale it could even be your passport. You would no longer risk losing your credit card, your keys, your passport. It's always on you.

The issues with this of course are the invasion of privacy, the inability to easily remove the chip day-to-day, the parallels drawn to microchipping dogs, the abilities this would give to a nasty employer, and the risk of fraud from hackers developing the means to randomly scan and steal the identity of chipped passer by's.

Where do you stand on this issue? For or against? Is this moving towards the utopian future or the dystopian future?

*While the chips cannot track you, the scanners could. Enough in a workplace and your exact movement log could be recorded.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Emergence

Platinum Classicist

Peru in War in the Americas
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1689
Timezone: GMT

Re: Microchip employees

Postby The SHIV » 31 Jul 2017, 11:54

Bad idea....nuff said

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1133
All-game rating: 1120
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pootleflump » 31 Jul 2017, 12:13

Oooooft. You want to give the message of mistrust to your employees and micromanage them. No!

Expect the worst from folk and they will surely deliver on it. Not worth any benefits it may bring.
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1836
All-game rating: 1885

Postby V » 31 Jul 2017, 14:03

Simply no. If required by a company, resign. If required by a country, emigrate. Never in any way acceptable, with any attempted justification.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1677
All-game rating: 1704
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Strategus » 31 Jul 2017, 14:10

joe92 wrote:Is this moving towards the utopian future or the dystopian future?

It would be a backward step - towards 1984
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1629
All-game rating: 1792

Postby PatCleburne » 31 Jul 2017, 16:20

Let me ask Joe's question this way -- how much extra would your employer have to pay you to make you consider this?
- "As between the loss of independence and the loss of slavery, we assume that every patriot will freely give up the latter — give up the negro slave rather than be a slave himself." Patrick Cleburne, 1864.
PatCleburne

Standard rating: (1146)
All-game rating: (1418)

Postby Strategus » 31 Jul 2017, 16:26

PatCleburne wrote:Let me ask Joe's question this way -- how much extra would your employer have to pay you to make you consider this?

Liberty or Death!
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1629
All-game rating: 1792

Postby V » 31 Jul 2017, 17:10

To address the "pay" issue. Lots. $30,000 bonus in advance per year. Of course I'd still look for a better employer just with $30K in my pocket. Such a proposal is so outrageous, I'd feel no qualms in any subsequent betrayal towards the employer. After all that's the way Diplomacy works...
I was a sales exec with a valuable customer base. Finding someone to offer well paid employment, without a microchip, would not have been a challenge...
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1677
All-game rating: 1704
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 31 Jul 2017, 17:25

GPD wrote:
PatCleburne wrote:Let me ask Joe's question this way -- how much extra would your employer have to pay you to make you consider this?

Liberty or Death!

Live free or Die- Home State Motto. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

The USA in WitA7!
Britain in WitA8!
House Martell in DoIaF-III,
Athens in GCS4.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1177
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby uzes90 » 31 Jul 2017, 18:09

What if the chip gave you some benefits? LIke "mind-to-internet" connection?
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 2027
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Debates