Wage Transparency

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: Wage Transparency

Postby The O » 11 Oct 2016, 19:32

Thanks for the clarification. I still don't think that the "free market" customer based pay is what we have here, but I'm not likely to solve this issue here in this thread. I don't want to take the thread too off subject, so I'll allow it to resume with women's pay gap. Carry on
The O

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 953
All-game rating: 885
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby JamesCook » 25 Oct 2016, 13:40

Postby OldBaldGuy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:03 am

Wage disparity in business is usually a myth. Women and minorities tend to earn more in the same jobs, especially at higher levels. In a training program I developed, I give an example where One Company pays all women 7% more than men. One Company pays men 25% more than women, and what should we do? The trick is that these 'two' companies is actually the same company. The reason is not pay disparity, but the large numbers of women who concentrate in lower paying jobs. We have a bi-modal distribution of men and women in the company, and ON AVERAGE women are paid less even though paid more position by position. The peal problem is people don't try to understand the problem before firing off a solution.

In the US it is already against the law to pay men and women differently. Using a company wide 'average' pay is a number that is completely accurate, but totally useless. I have helped companies defend against frivolous accusations.

The above is so well stated. In my career, women were always paid EXACTLY (to the penny) the same as any man in the same position. But women left more often and thus fell behind in years of service and then receive less pay upon their return. The wage numbers being thrown about are just mythical.
Member of The Classicists
JamesCook

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1392)
All-game rating: (1387)

Postby The O » 26 Oct 2016, 22:02

So then the stats lie?
The O

Standard rating: 953
All-game rating: 885

Postby Carebear » 26 Oct 2016, 22:12

The O wrote:So then the stats lie?

People believe what they want to believe. The conservative conspiracy memes that are believed about how Obama wasn't really born in the US and didn't really go to Columbia or Harvard. It is just incredible.

I have spent a bit on my Automated League proposal. I will come back here and post a rebuttal to these posts sometime in the next few days.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 26 Oct 2016, 22:19

Where was Obama born? :P
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
and Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Britain in Colonial 7,
Mercia, (like, "mercy") in Heptarchy XV!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1069
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Subotai45 » 27 Oct 2016, 02:17

Carebear wrote:

People believe what they want to believe. The conservative conspiracy memes that are believed about how Obama wasn't really born in the US and didn't really go to Columbia or Harvard. It is just incredible.

You've just been brainwashed by the liberal media. We all know Obama wasn't really born in the US, and the DNC just covered it all up. Obama wasn't born in America, he was born in Hawaii.
Empire of Venus
PM me if you're interested in Create Your Own Country!
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 27 Oct 2016, 02:20

Subotai45 wrote:
Carebear wrote:

You've just been brainwashed by the liberal media. We all know Obama wasn't really born in the US, and the DNC just covered it all up. Obama wasn't born in America, he was born in Hawaii.

LOL, really!
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Happymeal » 07 Dec 2016, 09:54

OldBaldGuy wrote:Wage disparity in business is usually a myth. Women and minorities tend to earn more in the same jobs, especially at higher levels. In a training program I developed, I give an example where One Company pays all women 7% more than men. One Company pays men 25% more than women, and what should we do? The trick is that these 'two' companies is actually the same company. The reason is not pay disparity, but the large numbers of women who concentrate in lower paying jobs. We have a bi-modal distribution of men and women in the company, and ON AVERAGE women are paid less even though paid more position by position. The peal problem is people don't try to understand the problem before firing off a solution.

In the US it is already against the law to pay men and women differently. Using a company wide 'average' pay is a number that is completely accurate, but totally useless. I have helped companies defend against frivolous accusations.

This the correct response though I don't believe that addresses the entire topic. I believed (though I could be wrong) OP wanted to address other countries' (specifically ones which do not currently currently possess equal opportunity) issues with women and pay. If not, correct me. However, before addressing other countries' issues with pay, one might considering addressing other countries' treatment of women prior to it.
It's true I'm nervous, but why do you think I'm mad?
Happymeal

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Debates