Sounds of Silence

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: Sounds of Silence

Postby joe92 » 09 Jun 2016, 13:36

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Meat besides pepperoni doesn't belong on pizza. Neither does pineapple. I'm not saying you can't have a pizza-esque dish with those things on it, but it has ceased to become pizza at that point, and is instead some sort of pizza like variant. Sort of like how it's not Champagne unless it's from Champagne. Similar thing.

Literally anything goes on pizza. That's what makes pizza so great. Sure, you have a few pretentious Italians who may not like that but they don't like anything so no harm there.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Emergence

Platinum Classicist

None
joe92
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1097
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 09 Jun 2016, 19:32

sjg11 wrote:
Keirador wrote:Anchovies, as a cured meat product, are acceptable on pizzas.

I think I'd rather eat pretty much anything else on a pizza over anchovies on a pizza.

Meat besides pepperoni doesn't belong on pizza. Neither does pineapple. I'm not saying you can't have a pizza-esque dish with those things on it, but it has ceased to become pizza at that point, and is instead some sort of pizza like variant. Sort of like how it's not Champagne unless it's from Champagne. Similar thing.

Why specifically pepperoni as the only pizza allowed meat?

Amen to anchovies. They're awful.

Pepperoni and, begrudgingly, anchovies. Do they belong on my pizza? No. Can they be on a pizza and still have it called a pizza? Yes. Sadly.
joe92 wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Meat besides pepperoni doesn't belong on pizza. Neither does pineapple. I'm not saying you can't have a pizza-esque dish with those things on it, but it has ceased to become pizza at that point, and is instead some sort of pizza like variant. Sort of like how it's not Champagne unless it's from Champagne. Similar thing.

Literally anything goes on pizza. That's what makes pizza so great. Sure, you have a few pretentious Italians who may not like that but they don't like anything so no harm there.

This is mistaken. It's not pizza then, just pizza like substance. Call it pizza if you want, but know in your heart that it's a fraud.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby The O » 14 Jun 2016, 18:05

Most under-rated pizza toppings are green olives and garlic! Both are delicious options. Also, bacon (American) is a pretty solid meat option if you are sick of sausage or pepperoni.
The O

Standard rating: 953
All-game rating: 885
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby musashisamurai » 25 Jun 2016, 21:03

sjg11 wrote:
Keirador wrote:Well I'm on vacation for the next week. I'll argue with anybody about anything, if it helps.

Pineapple on pizza. For or against?

With ham, yes. Otherwise, no.

As for other toppings, the important thing is that there is a lot of them and most of them are unhealthy. So, pepperoni, hamburger, meatballs, sausage, bacon, ham, chicken, peppers, onions, tomatoes, more cheese(s), the list goes on.

I see the arguments against hamburger, but you're looking at it the wrong way-its like using two types of cheese on a pizza, using hamburger and pepperoni. Heck, the best method is to sprinkle it on like Parmesan cheese.
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby ospiter » 17 Jul 2016, 22:28

Just returned from three weeks in Italy. While there I attended three events involving pizza.
From my perspective, The appetizing pizza is one which has a variety of toppings to satisfy and entertain the palate.
Given the basic Marguerita' (tomato sauce and mozzarella) as the base, toppings which complement these two items are most welcome.
Tutto il mondo è diviso in sette parti, senza contare i centri di supporto che non aderiscono.
ospiter

Standard rating: (1184)
All-game rating: (1188)
Timezone: GMT

Postby steelfish » 04 Sep 2016, 04:40

ospiter wrote:Just returned from three weeks in Italy. While there I attended three events involving pizza.
From my perspective, The appetizing pizza is one which has a variety of toppings to satisfy and entertain the palate.
Given the basic Marguerita' (tomato sauce and mozzarella) as the base, toppings which complement these two items are most welcome.

The only thing that ruins a pizza is a lousy crust. A good crust is essential to a pizza, but if the crust is bad then regardless of toppings it isn't going to be any good. Great toppings on a bad crust = a lousy pizza.
steelfish

Standard rating: (1097)
All-game rating: (1099)

Previous

Return to Debates