Ukraine

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Ukraine

Postby beowulf7 » 27 Feb 2022, 23:17

Let's hope this ends badly for Putin. Maybe this is an opportunity for a war to be won by non-military means (editing for spelling (red wine))
Last edited by beowulf7 on 28 Feb 2022, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (938)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Ukraine

Postby schocker » 27 Feb 2022, 23:56

Well, this is a first. We agree. Makes me a bit nervous but I can't find a logical reason.
Member of The Classicists
schocker

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1375)
All-game rating: (1371)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby CrackpotConviction » 06 Mar 2022, 00:53

Social media has been flooded with statements of support for Ukraine. Suddenly everybody cares! Up until now I wasn't aware that anybody even thought about Ukraine. I have some Ukrainian heritage and I have never been able to get anyone to care about it at all!

I find it suspicious that there isn't even a single statement of support for Russia. In a democratic society, surely there would be debate...
CrackpotConviction

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 888
All-game rating: 895
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby beowulf7 » 06 Mar 2022, 19:42

Sorry, but not at all sure what point you are making? I dont think it's surprise that we cannot all point out the pro-Ukraine sentiments we have expressed previously. But that does not mean we don't care. Or that we did not care. As an example, I am concerned about my colleagues in Estonia but I'm not manning barricades - does that mean I can't speak out should Talinn fall? Do you want a list of things people care about without doing much? Israeli apartheid against Palestinians, Maldives disappearing under water, Indian treatment of non-Hindu's (or women), China & Moslems/Tibet/Taiwan, childhood desease on Africa, Stop & Search in London, the politics of Texas, Polar bears. Sure shout "where were you when they did X?" but as volunteers arrive through the doors, the better way forward is not to berate those who come late to offer their support but instead to use that support to do something.

You don't say what you are suspicious when you see no-one defending the indefensible? "I find it suspicious that there isn't even a single statement of support for Paedophilia. In a democratic society, surely there would be debate" - see? It makes no sense. Anyway, if you want to hear the voices supporting Putin try right wing US gatherings and Russian trolls. If you want my "balance" I openly say that I feel sorry for young Russian conscripts sent forward to do the unconscionable and also for their mothers.

PS: Not my idea but I like it. Go on AirBnB and book a holiday in Ukraine. Once it is confirmed, write to the hosts and tell them to keep the money but you are not coming. AirBnN have zeroed their charges in that region.
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (938)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT

Postby JWDH » 22 Apr 2022, 21:30

He makes perfect sense.
JWDH

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1165)