Debate: Ways to overcome bias in media

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: Debate: Ways to overcome bias in media

Postby schocker » 13 May 2021, 15:36

The debate lives on....
Member of The Classicists
schocker
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1370
All-game rating: 1367
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby with_an_h » 13 May 2021, 21:55

I don't fully understand how one can think it's better to consider all media/journalists as liars and advocate a world without them, and then say that having external media/journalists is a coping mechanism for state-dominated info dissemination.
with_an_h

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1500
All-game rating: 1509
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 13 May 2021, 22:33

with_an_h wrote:I don't fully understand how one can think it's better to consider all media/journalists as liars and advocate a world without them, and then say that having external media/journalists is a coping mechanism for state-dominated info dissemination.

To clarify;
Right now I believe journalist integrity in English speaking democracies to be appallingly low (I can’t speak to other nations, due to ignorance & lack of language skills) & as such we would probably be better off without them. At least I can make that individual choice & ignore them all for my own benefit & so can others.
I agreed that East Germans accessed overseas information to counter internal propaganda & that that was a good example of a coping mechanism when internal news sources cannot be trusted. Sadly the case in many places now.
However I didn’t mean to suggest that West German radio stations was the only example of how they probably got that information. I’m sure it contributed, but I’d bet they had a many ways of getting uncensored information from comparatively trustworthy sources to counter the misinformation they were bombarded with.

One cannot declare West German radio stations were necessarily “independent” either. BBC World Service & Radio America being two examples that folks from a different persuasion might equally describe as propaganda.
It’s not that independent journalism cannot contribute to distribution of valuable information, it’s just that sometimes it doesn’t do much of a job at it (like right now) & it is not indispensable. We can survive as societies without journalists!
Rather none that the garbage we currently have in my opinion, but others are welcome to their “light entertainment of propaganda” if they so wish.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby with_an_h » 26 May 2021, 23:15

I haven't responded in a few days as I've been busy with games, but some final thoughts here as I think we're approaching a reasonable ending point.

Not every journalistic source is biased in every way. There are always issues that seem so obscure (read: uncharged) and sometimes those that are charged where the journalist nails the issue fairly, truthfully, and independently on the head. And even those sources that are "biased" can produce reporting without bias. Compared to official East German comms, West German radio stations and the like could report the unfiltered truth (albeit through a different world view) and that was good enough for East Germans.

This is why I've been saying it matters that these sources exist and that we build the skills for readership and media literacy. Communication is a 2-way street. I don't see the complete and utter removal of (imperfect) journalism as net good.

I have more thoughts (and these feel rushed), but won't have much time to respond. Feel free to keep this going if you'd like and I can try to respond (but no guarantees).

Thanks for the debate.
with_an_h

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1500
All-game rating: 1509
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Debates