Debates died

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Debates died

Postby schocker » 07 Nov 2020, 01:56

Is it intolerance of other opinions or maybe, just a lack of interest?
Member of The Classicists
schocker

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1395)
All-game rating: (1392)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Debates died

Postby Malarky » 09 Nov 2020, 11:12

Lack of interest, I think. Maybe the people who used to participate aren't here as much any more. Maybe it's the fact that people have more on their plate personally and just aren't interested in arguing through topics here.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 941
All-game rating: 1066
Timezone: GMT

Postby sroca » 09 Nov 2020, 21:34

schocker wrote:Is it intolerance of other opinions or maybe, just a lack of interest?

*old man voice* I remember the 2008 "Pit of Flames". Now that was a time. The presence of intolerance definitely didn't keep us from debating.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1148
All-game rating: 1149
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby schocker » 10 Nov 2020, 19:43

So it is a lack of interest.
schocker

Postby sroca » 10 Nov 2020, 19:55

schocker wrote:So it is a lack of interest.

Just start a post about election fraud and I'm sure you'll get some takers. ;)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Postby schocker » 21 Nov 2020, 00:09

How about you start it and I will be the first poster!
schocker

Postby Keirador » 23 Nov 2020, 00:40

There was a time when Debates was largely populated by people who disagreed with each other, but could still have a discussion in good faith. Even when things got heated and people got mad, there was a shared commitment to universal epistemological principles: at a minimum, arguments should be based on evidence, and evidence that could withstand scrutiny was accepted by all parties as facts. Off the top of my head, some particularly long threads featuring furious, passionate debate on, for instance, gun control or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could see debate participants get angry enough to stoop to insulting each other or making accusations of aiding and abetting murder, but even at the ugliest the participants could still agree on things like how many people die in gun-related incidents per year or what the text of an Israeli law actually said.

Then came the era of Fake News. Now if a certain kind of "debater" doesn't like a fact presented as evidenced, they don't even dispute it, they just attack the source and assert their own warped version of reality. The "fuck your feelings" crowd believes their own feelings are all they need to generate facts, and anything that runs contrary to that is part of some lie or hoax.

There's nothing to debate there.

It' not just the PlayDip Debates forum that has experienced this, obviously. The whole world is struggling with the implications of this epistemological break. There's not that much to debate at all nowadays, unless and until we can somehow find our way back to a shared commitment to epistemological principles.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby sroca » 23 Nov 2020, 22:33

Keirador wrote:There was a time when Debates was largely populated by people who disagreed with each other, but could still have a discussion in good faith. Even when things got heated and people got mad, there was a shared commitment to universal epistemological principles: at a minimum, arguments should be based on evidence, and evidence that could withstand scrutiny was accepted by all parties as facts. Off the top of my head, some particularly long threads featuring furious, passionate debate on, for instance, gun control or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could see debate participants get angry enough to stoop to insulting each other or making accusations of aiding and abetting murder, but even at the ugliest the participants could still agree on things like how many people die in gun-related incidents per year or what the text of an Israeli law actually said.

Then came the era of Fake News. Now if a certain kind of "debater" doesn't like a fact presented as evidenced, they don't even dispute it, they just attack the source and assert their own warped version of reality. The "fuck your feelings" crowd believes their own feelings are all they need to generate facts, and anything that runs contrary to that is part of some lie or hoax.

There's nothing to debate there.

It' not just the PlayDip Debates forum that has experienced this, obviously. The whole world is struggling with the implications of this epistemological break. There's not that much to debate at all nowadays, unless and until we can somehow find our way back to a shared commitment to epistemological principles.

Well this is a brilliant breakdown of something I hadn't quite articulated in my own mind. This is probably the same foundational reason of why debates never worked on Facebook. Or Parler now for the conservative crowd which is a concerning development on its own.

Thanks for the insight Keirador.

sroca
Premium Member

Postby Keirador » 24 Nov 2020, 05:46

I'll say debates on Facebook used to work for me, most of the time, until Fake News became the new rallying-cry. Pre-2015, even people who disagreed with me would largely credit my sources, unless they had specific, factual reasons to dispute them.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby bratsffl » 25 Nov 2020, 01:22

The term Fake News in and of itself is a little incorrect.

Most media outlets for years have been reporting inaccuracies. In this day of FB and other social media platforms, instant rebuttals can occur. Those rebuttals can also be inaccurate, and the chain goes on.

Personally, I lost most respect for the major media outlets about 10 years ago when 3 stories I had first hand knowledge were reported 360 degrees inaccurately for more sensationalistic stories.

Now I love to watch David Muir, not for what he says; but how he says it. The adjectives and enunciations are terrific, regardless of what he is actually saying; he is entertaining me; NOT educating me.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Never surrender

Oldie
Classicists
bratsffl
Premium Member

Standard rating: 933
All-game rating: 1240

Next

Return to Debates