Page 4 of 8

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 16:40
by shadowface
SJG what was your actual reaction to this post :lol:

shadowface wrote:
Evil SJG Scheme wrote:Think of scum play like this. Every moment a townie spends talking to you is a moment that a townie is NOT spending talking to another townie (presumably working with that townie to figure out the game). Each townie only has a finite amount of time to spend thinking about and playing Mafia. The more of that time you can waste with townies talking to you, the more likely you are to win the game. This, naturally, disrupts the group problem-solving that the town needs to perform to win a Mafia game. The more pro-active you are as Mafia, and the more you take risks in the thread and put yourself out there, the harder it is for the Town to develop a productive solving environment. As scum, start thinking about how you can have an impact in the thread and how you can block town-town interactions. If you do this successfully, you can either infiltrate or weaken the town's confidence in any POE that develops. This will only benefit you as Mafia.


SJG YOU BASTARD YOU WERE BUDDYING ME :evil: :evil: :evil:

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 16:47
by sjg11
shadowface wrote:SJG what was your actual reaction to this post :lol:

shadowface wrote:
Evil SJG Scheme wrote:Think of scum play like this. Every moment a townie spends talking to you is a moment that a townie is NOT spending talking to another townie (presumably working with that townie to figure out the game). Each townie only has a finite amount of time to spend thinking about and playing Mafia. The more of that time you can waste with townies talking to you, the more likely you are to win the game. This, naturally, disrupts the group problem-solving that the town needs to perform to win a Mafia game. The more pro-active you are as Mafia, and the more you take risks in the thread and put yourself out there, the harder it is for the Town to develop a productive solving environment. As scum, start thinking about how you can have an impact in the thread and how you can block town-town interactions. If you do this successfully, you can either infiltrate or weaken the town's confidence in any POE that develops. This will only benefit you as Mafia.


SJG YOU BASTARD YOU WERE BUDDYING ME :evil: :evil: :evil:

I mean I wasn't worried. Because I had anticipated you and kim, if you spotted me as scum, would figure that out. And me and Justin had already moved the consequences for that indiscretion onto jako not Justin. So... it was still going according to Plan B which we cooked up Night Two.

Y'all saw I was Grima Wormtongue. Y'all missed that shadow and kim were Theoden, not just shadow.

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 16:48
by sjg11
shadowface wrote:
sjg11 wrote:Justin deserves MVP- he played brilliantly. But there is not enough praise for sjg's behind the scenes scheming going on here so... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Perhaps the directly manipulated townspeople didn't appreciate it :P

Lol- you should learn to appreciate the subtle art of deception in more detail. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:00
by sjg11
Naw yea Sjg is scary as scum, especially if he can put enough time into the game to be townread and leading early
I feel like he either gets caught D1 or he endgames
every time

^Fatmo gets scum sjg. My scum strategy is time intensive but if it gets going very very effective.

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:28
by shadowface
AKFD wrote:Plugging in 2 Mafia games in signups:

Telleo's A Return to Numbers
sjg's Multi-colored Vote

And I need all the criticism I can get, as I am designing a new Mafia game based on my favorite video game series, Just Dance. I'm not yet sure when to run this, but definitely not in the next few months.

I probably won't be playing again for a while (playing forum mafia doesn't work well with zoom law school tbh) so I can look over your new setup and give you feedback if you want.

I also will probably be putting a game into signups in the next few weeks :) It's a very simple premise that will probably have some of the most complicated and nuanced solving and gameplay ever required for a mafia game, should be fun!

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:30
by Keirador
shadowface wrote:Where is the Aura of Greater Towniness at these days? Can we give that one to Justin too for his scum performance in this game?

Nobody else has earned it.

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:31
by kimpossible
Keirador wrote:
shadowface wrote:Where is the Aura of Greater Towniness at these days? Can we give that one to Justin too for his scum performance in this game?

Nobody else has earned it.

I may no longer bear the Aura, but at least I'm still the only person ever to have earned it to begin with.

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:32
by Keirador
My big takeaway is that I was wrong to sub out, and in fact I'm going to be playing more games half-assedly, and if anybody doesn't like it, too bad.

I made two red votes in this game. Check see who they were for. ;)

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:34
by sjg11
Keirador wrote:My big takeaway is that I was wrong to sub out, and in fact I'm going to be playing more games half-assedly, and if anybody doesn't like it, too bad.

I made two red votes in this game. Check see who they were for. ;)

Correctly identifying scum sjg is only half the battle. Successfully out-talking scum sjg often proves to be more of a challenge.

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 17:36
by kimpossible
I also would like to propose the creation of two new awards.

The first is the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot, and it will belong to Shadow until such time as I judge someone else has made an even worse miskill based on an angleshoot.

The second is the Timeclock of Confusion :?:, and goes to Dwiltse for obvious reasons.