Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

Postby kimpossible » 18 Jan 2021, 18:18

I meant that your way of doing things is confusing to others, DW. As in you cause confusion.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Keirador » 18 Jan 2021, 18:19

And AKFD, well-run game, especially as a first-time GM. Kudos, friend.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Subotai45 » 18 Jan 2021, 18:20

On the modkill plan - yeah, probably flawed ethically. But after confirming it wouldn't fuck me in trying to get games in the future, I was perfectly willing to take it. Like sjg said, out-arguing him was hard, and with pretty much everyone ready and willing to vote me I didn't have the time or motivation to try and flip that off. I was happy to get killed in a way that helped the town - sorry for beating you to the punch Jako.

Justin for MVP. I'm interested in seeing what happens when we're actually town together - but I suspect I'm just going to be preemptively trying to kill you before you get me, although I might not put a vote down or voice any suspicions until I'm sure it'll seal the deal. In a head to head I really don't like my chances of convincing folks... and that's how it usually ends when I suspect you. We'll see if that's actually a function of us being on opposite teams or not going forward.

SJG did really well in private comms trying to make me think he was town and it wasn't until he stopped replying (and it was too late for my opinion to matter) that I really soured on him. I think in the future we'll be a little more skeptical of those sort of game state arguments but sjg does a good enough job as leader that pretty much universally he can survive past the easy miskills and just needs to manage the last few imo.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-9

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 18 Jan 2021, 18:21

Just wanna add here cuz apparently its got lost over the years my gameplay is literally insane if it doesnt make sense to you thats because you arnt crazy and your still thinking in the box and not thinking every randomness which way

Also I never lie intentionally ive only ever done so once during my 12 years of mafia (even as scum) and it got a scum player killed so it was a good lie and that wad 12 years ago
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Timeclock of Confusion :?:,
Dwiltse1114

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Justinrs2 » 18 Jan 2021, 18:33

Dwiltse1114 wrote:I m not to keen on the confusion talisment because to me my logic and the way I do things makes sense to me

Second my mistake here was obviously clearing telleo (my second/third clears were more sjg/jako) sjg was pretty close and almost picked them and it may have changed the game completely but you know YOLO

Third def Justin for mvp

4th I said day 1 the case on jako was stupid and honestly the more I followed it the worse it got who it became a super clad kill jako case I have absolutely no clue but I feel like the should be #1 in worst case ever in mafia

Honestly the case on you was not one I ever understood, and as scum I was very glad to see it. You had a better handle on this game than many townies who made it to D3. I believed you when you said you would figure things out D2.

And yeah, Jako was a hit job from the start. The problem was, we killed everyone saying it was a bad case til only the townies who bought it were left :P
Keirador wrote:Well done to the scum team.

Justin, in particular, I was delighted that this performance came IMMEDIATELY AFTER a game in which I tried, unsuccessfully, to argue that you were much better than you were letting on, that you were actively deceiving the town about your true level of talent.

As I said, I try to lie as little as possible when I'm scum.

I've said in the discord- I have plenty of experience with mafia type games. Resistance:Avalon, Among Us, some rl mafia, etc. The only thing I claimed to be behind on was the meta of this site- and I think at this point I've been catching up to it. Being a lying jerk? That was the role I was born to play lol.
Subotai45 wrote:On the modkill plan - yeah, probably flawed ethically. But after confirming it wouldn't fuck me in trying to get games in the future, I was perfectly willing to take it. Like sjg said, out-arguing him was hard, and with pretty much everyone ready and willing to vote me I didn't have the time or motivation to try and flip that off. I was happy to get killed in a way that helped the town - sorry for beating you to the punch Jako.

Justin for MVP. I'm interested in seeing what happens when we're actually town together - but I suspect I'm just going to be preemptively trying to kill you before you get me, although I might not put a vote down or voice any suspicions until I'm sure it'll seal the deal. In a head to head I really don't like my chances of convincing folks... and that's how it usually ends when I suspect you. We'll see if that's actually a function of us being on opposite teams or not going forward.

SJG did really well in private comms trying to make me think he was town and it wasn't until he stopped replying (and it was too late for my opinion to matter) that I really soured on him. I think in the future we'll be a little more skeptical of those sort of game state arguments but sjg does a good enough job as leader that pretty much universally he can survive past the easy miskills and just needs to manage the last few imo.

Dude in a way it kind of sucked I drew scum this game cause I was serious about improving my game, making less assumptions, and trying to clash less after rick roll mafia. That was my plan, and I had methods for going about it and everything. Then I drew scum and doing all of that no longer benefited me, so I had to wait until next time I was town and just try to be myself from rick roll but even townier (like, I re-read myself in rick-roll mafia and deliberately tried to ape my own townie tones and mannerisms, including in being confrontational).

I needed a few scumreads that could stand the test of time to get us the win, and you and Jako became my preferred targets. I felt comfortable arguing this case because at worst I thought I could draw a TvT read from others, similar to me vs Gregor in rick roll. I think you reacted quite reasonably, but, well, I'm not gonna play fair and let the case dissipate when I'm scum :P

Sjg was great- can't stop raving enough about what a great job he did. He helped save me D1 without really seeming too much like he saved me, and then it was all sabotage. We didn't really lay out a concrete plan, but our roles nevertheless really complimented each other.

For the TK plan- eh, I'm still not super happy about it. Ultimately yes, AK should have just disallowed it to remove temptation, but I feel it just wasn't a good thing to do. And AK was a new GM, not as experienced with all these shenanigans, and I think it should have fallen on town not to take advantage of that.

Had that actually solved the game for town, I would be quite salty at the moment. As it was, it didn't matter, and in fact sped the game up towards a scum win.
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Keirador » 18 Jan 2021, 18:52

FWIW I have no problem sharing the spoiled channel if that's a hold up.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Fatmo » 18 Jan 2021, 19:33

shadowface wrote:
kimpossible wrote:I also would like to propose the creation of two new awards.

The first is the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot, and it will belong to a Shadow until such time as I judge someone else has made an even worse miskill based on an angleshoot.

It is my honour to accept this dubious award and I shall bear it with pride.

:P

Gg everyone.

Scum played this very well.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 18 Jan 2021, 19:46

Fatmo wrote:
shadowface wrote:
kimpossible wrote:I also would like to propose the creation of two new awards.

The first is the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot, and it will belong to a Shadow until such time as I judge someone else has made an even worse miskill based on an angleshoot.

It is my honour to accept this dubious award and I shall bear it with pride.

:P

Gg sjg.

Scum played this very well.

Fixed that for you Fatmo btw. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nimb » 18 Jan 2021, 20:16

jakofipa wrote:And I assume you killed Nimb because he was the only on vaguely suspecting Justin? Or was he just the towniest town left?

They killed me because they thought I was the closest to figuring it out (according to Justin).

I'm frustrated because I don't think I did a good enough job of explaining my d2 vote. I wasn't particularly happy with the subs case, but it was better than Jako. By my vote d2 I realized Jako was actually town, and unfortunately no one picked up on it but scum (who killed me for it).

They were also afraid because I said mid d2 we had to look into Sjg.

In the end, scum killed me because they were C O W A R D S.

My official guess for scum when I died to AKFD was Sjg and Kim, because I really thought Sjg's whole shenenigan on Kim was fake. Turns out I was wrong on Kim (I hadn't re-read her, and I think if I did I could've solidified that it was just Sjg).

I don't know about Justin, I might or might have never voted him. AK asked who was most townie and I said Shadow and Justin.... so.... yeah. I agree with Justin MVP.

That said, Keir raised a point on the spec chat about my google notes doc for notes: It shouldn't be okay, because people can follow in real time my thoughts in a way that the thread doesn't allow for. So I won't be doing that anymore. Well, I don't plan on playing anytime soon, this has been enough mafia for a year. But I do plan on GMing more, I do enjoy GMing a lot more than playing anyway :P
Nimb

Standard rating: (1193)
All-game rating: (1195)
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby Justinrs2 » 18 Jan 2021, 21:21

Yeah Nimb, credit where it's due; you were the person left we were most scared of figuring it out. Your thought process was going in the right direction.

I guess that does make us C O W A R D S, doesn't it? :lol:
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to AARs