Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Writing Contest Mafia AAR (Scum Win)

Postby AKFD » 18 Jan 2021, 15:36

Right!

Justinrs2 for MVP. Easily. I also considered sjg11 during D1 but Justin was more universally townread. Props to him.
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby jakofipa » 18 Jan 2021, 15:40

Justinr2

Also Justin, if you set up your American mafia game, I would love to join (if I have time) and be a dirty European :D
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1022)
Timezone: GMT

Postby kimpossible » 18 Jan 2021, 15:42

jakofipa wrote:
shadowface wrote:Justin for MVP, as well as a star on the Never To Be Trusted walk of fame.

100% agreed. Can we policyKill him at the start of the next game? ;)

Yes, on both counts.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 18 Jan 2021, 15:45

Ah kim- you did well to grok that I was scum on Day Three. But you failed to notice that I'm a wily little weasel who is fully aware that sjg paranoia is a thing and was fully aware that you may go to me if, for instance, a Cop result came back clearing Subs as town (which was my main concern heading into Day Three). Knowing that, jako/sjg kill you every time Night Two as leaving you alive is too risky. Frankly kim you're a nightmare to try to mis-TK- you're far too good at having a town tone and shifting things back around when you're not expected to. And you had enough sjg suspicion that it could easily backfire on me if I relied on leaving you alive and getting you mis-TKed for the win. If I were planning to be the deep scum, I would never be so chill about you suspecting me. It would be my main worry heading into F5. I never planned to actually push a wagon on you that would result in you dying. The fact that's what you would think I was doing was a very useful plan to have up our sleeve if something wacky happened on Day Three though. I allowed you to live to Day Three because you were not gonna get Justin even if you swung to sjg. I knew that, even in the event that shenanigans took place, I could try to nudge kim paranoia and tie myself to jako and Justin could ride that train all the way home. Justin flipping to an anti-sjg position in the event of shenanigans was planned long before the Subs modkill was even a ploy in shadow's head and it worked beautifully. :twisted:

Obviously Plan A was just to play Subs/jako off against each other and chill for the final day but we had to adapt a bit after the Modkill stuff went down. Fortunately me and Justin had already run through how we were gonna play that long before Day Three kicked off.

Our play was never for me to be the guy who won things at F3 if required. Our plan was always to lull the town into thinking that that was the case while Justin snuck into the town's COT and killed you from there. Look back at Day One. Guess who deflected the Day One Justin wagon and was right there besides kim pushing the consensus Justin TR from the beginning? This guy. I was always the distraction here if it came down to it, Justin was the one you had to watch.

Also, I was being completely honest when I said that me/jako didn't really fit as a scumteam. I would never be so chill about a scumbuddy dying EOD1 like that when I'm around and in the thread. Either I push him actively to get town cred or I flip to Dwiltse to save him. Plus if we were scum together I was very prepared to bus him Day Two which also doesn't really fit. The Nimb kill also didn't fit in an sjg/jako scenario.

In other news, this game proved my points on scum play from a games back. Controlling the flow of ideas and information into the thread is a highly effective scum strategy. Take the moments after the Subs modkill. It's not a coincidence that the town consensus after that immediately crystallised against me and jako, who were both sleeping at the time. And Justin played brilliantly in taking control of that moment and ensuring he remained in the town COT at that point. I told him to be prepared to bus me and he followed through beautifully when the big moment came. Also, the lack of enthusiasm from me and jako was NAI. Regardless of alignment, it's REALLY depressing waking up in the morning and finding that the entire town consensus has shifted against you. I knew I was unavoidably gonna be scumread at that point and jako knew he was likely gonna be mis-TKed giving scum the win. It's frustrating. Hell kim faced the same thing when she was busy for a spell and came back to find thread consensus against her. It took the turbulence after the Subs modkill for her to shift that. He who controls the flow of information and ideas, more often than not, controls and ultimately wins the game of Mafia. It is a central foundation to my play as either alignment.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby sjg11 » 18 Jan 2021, 15:45

kimpossible wrote:Congrats guys. I'm not even mad. I had actually been thinking it would be poetic justice if scum outplayed us after Shadow did some of the craziest angleshooting I've ever personally observed in a game.

I would argue shadow's play there went beyond mere angleshooting. I was... not happy when that went down.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 18 Jan 2021, 15:47

jakofipa wrote:I got it right at the end!!! Was a lot easier if you knew I was town!

But wow, good job SJG and Justin (especially)! This was a fun return to mafia, even if we got soundly destroyed...

SJG/Justin, I assume you intentionally kept me as a suspect without hard pushing it (so I'd be an easy late kill). When did you decide to do this? I only twigged fully after ISOing SJG on the final day...

And I assume you killed Nimb because he was the only on vaguely suspecting Justin? Or was he just the towniest town left?

1. Pretty much. Tbh we had a pool of mis-TKs we were pulling from. It was you, Subs and BS primarily by EOD2. Whichever of you two survived Day Two were gonna be played off against each other on Day Three. Town should never have killed Dwiltse Day One, that was a nice freebie mis-TK that we probably wouldn't have got otherwise.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 18 Jan 2021, 15:51

AK- link to the spoiled spec chat?
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby jakofipa » 18 Jan 2021, 15:51

SJG wrote:Look back at Day One. Guess who deflected the Day One Justin wagon and was right there besides kim pushing the consensus Justin TR from the beginning? This guy.

I caught this when I did my ISO of you! I had in my notes "SJG TReads Justin, is this where his TR came from?" That's why I was thinking of rereading Justin and seeing what I found. Tbh I probably wouldn't have found much.

I cottoned on to you both by the end, but too little too late. By the time Subs was modkilled and I was locked into being missTKed, there was nothing I could do. Ironically, Justin was the only one who engaged with me at all after that!

Grrr, you guys played it perfectly
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1022)

Postby shadowface » 18 Jan 2021, 15:57

We had sjg in the end, It was just justin I never would have killed which ruined my POE.

Justin can you explain how you fake such nonstop scumhunting commitment as scum? It's quite extraordinary and I want to learn your ways.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Blackswimmer » 18 Jan 2021, 16:02

Well, good game everyone and thanks to AK for GMing.
Scum just straight up outplayed us here. :evil:
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

All-game rating: (1000)

PreviousNext

Return to AARs