Pick Your Poison Mafia AAR

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Pick Your Poison Mafia AAR

Postby AKFD » 15 May 2020, 10:19

Strategus wrote:How can you be 80% bulletproof?

@AK, I can now confess, I really did steal Kim's strong power. I also "reallocated' your and Kim's badges N2 to Blackswimmer. And I stole yours N3. I have been a very naughty boy. :mrgreen:

Hehehehe I did try to steal yours too! :mrgreen:
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Strategus » 15 May 2020, 10:20

nanooktheeskimo wrote:There ended up being 7 by the end!

It would require some amount of town coordination

Yeah, and that would need more info earlier.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1698
Timezone: GMT

Postby Strategus » 15 May 2020, 10:21

AKFD wrote:
Strategus wrote:How can you be 80% bulletproof?

@AK, I can now confess, I really did steal Kim's strong power. I also "reallocated' your and Kim's badges N2 to Blackswimmer. And I stole yours N3. I have been a very naughty boy. :mrgreen:

Hehehehe I did try to steal yours too! :mrgreen:

You naughty boy!

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby Blackswimmer » 15 May 2020, 10:44

Keirador wrote:Blackswimmer, I would vote to townkill you a thousand times over based on your utter disinterest in your own argument. That still baffles me.

I can't even object to that. I played incredibly poorly D1, and could easily have cost us the game. I can only apologise to you, and everyone else, for being such a dick. I really should have listened better to what you were saying, but I was completely wrapped up in the cozy "Keir wouldn't do this as town" bubble. I hope I didn't spoil the game for you by doing that, and I'll do my best not to repeat it in future.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Blackswimmer » 15 May 2020, 10:46

In other news, thanks to nook for running this, and everyone for playing, it was a highly enjoyable game (D1 screwups on my part notwithstanding).

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Postby Fatmo » 15 May 2020, 22:10

GGs.

I will spectate whatever you guys play next too.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Keirador » 16 May 2020, 00:14

Blackswimmer wrote:
Keirador wrote:Blackswimmer, I would vote to townkill you a thousand times over based on your utter disinterest in your own argument. That still baffles me.

I can't even object to that. I played incredibly poorly D1, and could easily have cost us the game. I can only apologise to you, and everyone else, for being such a dick. I really should have listened better to what you were saying, but I was completely wrapped up in the cozy "Keir wouldn't do this as town" bubble. I hope I didn't spoil the game for you by doing that, and I'll do my best not to repeat it in future.

I don't think you were being a dick! Not at all. You certainly didn't spoil the game for me (if anybody spoiled my game at all, it was me). If anything, you would have needed to be a lot more invested in your read in order to be a dick about it. ;)

Now that I know you were town the whole time, I do have to suspect that you were suffering from a bit of the implacable paranoia I have trouble dealing with. There's saying "he sounds slick but he can't be trusted," and then there's "he's presenting out-of-thread evidence that he has always believed what he says he believes, but he can't be trusted so I'm ignoring it." The former is fine, the latter is unreasonable.

This game has really forced me to re-evaluate my working theory of the game. I never thought Kim could hoodwink me so thoroughly, and I was being honest when I said my scumread on you was one of the stronger reads I've ever had. I really don't think I've ever been so highly convinced of an incorrect read. I've also scarcely been quite so disruptive, distracting, and anti-town as I was here. I should have foreseen at least the latter, Crunkus nearly always thinks I'm incredibly scummy and anti-town.

Damndest thing is, I stand by an N0 poisoning. I was quite right that the poisonings were not a permanent condition, and I think a lot of interesting and notable interactions came out of the ensuing discussion. I wasn't following closely, but it seems like UFO got townkilled in large part because of his disinterest in a topic that had riven real live townies quite deeply. If I can take any solace from my performance here, it was calling UFO in my final post as "Super fucking fits for scum just fiddling while the town burns."

Actually looking back on that roster run, I think if I'd managed to townkill Blackswimmer, see him flip town, and then survived the night (which looking at the scumchat, I would not have), I actually would've gotten to the right answer. I wasn't terribly far off. I could tell Kim's strategy was objectively scummy, I just needed to get off my tonal read, and I'd have been there.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 16 May 2020, 00:45

I’d love feedback from anyone with an opinion on the poison options—good, bad, fun, boring, etc. Did you feel like they unbalanced things too much? Or were they a fun addition/twist to a mafia game? Which ones worked, which ones were kinda duds?

Really any opinions on it, this is a general mechanic I’m still refining so feedback is very helpful!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 16 May 2020, 10:06

Nanook wrote:I’d love feedback from anyone with an opinion on the poison options—good, bad, fun, boring, etc. Did you feel like they unbalanced things too much? Or were they a fun addition/twist to a mafia game? Which ones worked, which ones were kinda duds?

Really any opinions on it, this is a general mechanic I’m still refining so feedback is very helpful!

I thought it was a lot of fun seeing what poisin you got each day, like waiting for the lottery numbers. So the mechanic of having something new every night worked well for me. Fmpov some of the options were not immediately obvious why I was going things, like stealing and relocating badges I had no idea what they did.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby Blackswimmer » 16 May 2020, 20:47

Keirador wrote:
Blackswimmer wrote:

I don't think you were being a dick! Not at all. You certainly didn't spoil the game for me (if anybody spoiled my game at all, it was me). If anything, you would have needed to be a lot more invested in your read in order to be a dick about it. ;)

Now that I know you were town the whole time, I do have to suspect that you were suffering from a bit of the implacable paranoia I have trouble dealing with. There's saying "he sounds slick but he can't be trusted," and then there's "he's presenting out-of-thread evidence that he has always believed what he says he believes, but he can't be trusted so I'm ignoring it." The former is fine, the latter is unreasonable.

Yeah, paranoia is a good way of putting it. I've seen stuff like Sjg managing to talk his way out of guilty IRs, and that kinda pops up at the back of my head sometimes. There's always some kind of technically plausible excuse for literally anything. It is not, however, a corollary of that fact that every excuse should be rejected, and that's the rabbit hole I fell down here. I've been on the receiving end of conformation bias, and it's not fun, so I should know better than to do myself. Anyway, appreciate you being cool about it!

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

PreviousNext

Return to AARs