Pet Mafia AAR

Moderators: condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo

Pet Mafia AAR

Postby UFO Fever » 27 Dec 2019, 05:16

Congrats to scum on the win! Special thank you to Fatmo for ending Day 2 and to CT for being a reserve in the wings.

Okay, I get it, the mechanics weren't that balanced and maybe sucked. But I wasn't going to let either side abuse the mechanics for the win. Savannah and Baxter would NOT have been the scum team together, but I wasn't going to give town that info for a free potential mechanical clear. I did parity checks after each death so a scum Fish could get the final dog TKed if necessary, and Shadow couldn't steal Pepper's tiebreaker, nor could Pepper keep that tiebreaker. I tried to make the best of it. The optimal play I think would have been for no reveals, and the vig holsters until Night 2 that way they can attempt a hero shot to save the game to Day 3 in case town had 2 mislynches. If I wanted to fully balance it I probably should have only let scum NK on odd numbered nights, but I wanted it to be just a dumb, quick, fun game with a subject matter that I enjoy.

Discuss, let me have it, I warned you.
Last edited by UFO Fever on 27 Dec 2019, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Pet Mafia AAR

Postby UFO Fever » 27 Dec 2019, 05:18

Spec chat is here: https://quicktopic.com/52/H/W85CgRRMn7QFa

Scum chat was handled via Discord.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Nanook » 27 Dec 2019, 05:24

The mechanics were bad.

I also don’t think that mechanics are why we won tho.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UFO Fever » 27 Dec 2019, 05:31

This game was meant to be filler to basically waste time in between Lights Out and ?????????, it was not meant to be A Serious Game.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Nanook » 27 Dec 2019, 05:33

I’m not really gonna have this conversation with you at this point, it’s clear you only want to say “NOT MY FAULT” and ignore other opinions.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby lecrae » 27 Dec 2019, 05:44

You guys drive me crazy. :lol:

Really well done nook/Blackswimmer, you definitely didn't need mechanics to win. Townclearing yourself day 1, nook, and encouraging kim/my fight day two really was masterful, and Blackswimmer staying out of the spotlight despite being in the town circle of distrust was well played too. Congratulations.

I have no idea why sjg did what he did...inactivity, I guess? But I won't blame that for the loss, my reads were almost all wrong this gamed I probably would've wrongly stuck on kim had sjg been more townie. I learned a lot in this first dip back into the playdip mafia waters and enjoyed playing with y'all, thanks for hosting UFO.

(May have some questions later, I'd love to hear the scum strategy since we don't get to see the chat!)
lecrae

Standard rating: (1262)
All-game rating: (1305)

Postby UFO Fever » 27 Dec 2019, 06:06

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I’m not really gonna have this conversation with you at this point, it’s clear you only want to say “NOT MY FAULT” and ignore other opinions.

Yes that’s clearly what I’m doing. It definitely has nothing to do with reading 2 game days worth of thread where pretty much half of it was “wow this game sucks, I should never have signed up” without being able to comment about it. I pretty clearly put it all out there. There weren’t any hidden mechanics. You’re allowed to be annoyed with flawed game design, and I’m allowed to be annoyed with just open shitting on something I cared enough about to make that you knew what you signed up for and even had a substitute waiting to play if it really bothered you that much.

Like hell, the first game here I played all the way through involved a secret third party that lost the game for the town. But I make a poorly balanced game that I tell you will be poorly balanced and give you all the details over how it works but it’s my games people say they won’t play without someone else checking them first.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby UFO Fever » 27 Dec 2019, 06:13

It also sucks that the 2 people that spent the most time shitting on it were the 2 people I’m probably closest with outside of the thread (of all the players in the game). Not saying you had to love it, or even like it, and I’m definitely not saying this game was even close to good, but it wasn’t what I was going for and I think I ran the game well.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Nanook » 27 Dec 2019, 06:17

This is the actual reason I’m reticent to play your games in the future. GMs attacking players and being antagonistic to them during and post game is not fun to play with.

I love you dude but damn, not every criticism of your game design is a full scale attack on you as a human being. We’re allowed to bitch about a game we’re playing if we realize after it starts how screwy the mechanics are.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby UFO Fever » 27 Dec 2019, 06:24

nanooktheeskimo wrote:The mechanics were bad.

I also don’t think that mechanics are why we won tho.

And seriously, the only “other opinions” other than “this game sucks” that I remembered hearing were “holy shit definitely do not make this a 5:2 game” to which I listened and made it 6:2 (and would have gone to 7:2 had enough interested demanded it) and “don’t make a lynchproof character” which, yes, I ignored that. But I said at the beginning I was more concerned with matching the personalities of my pets with their abilities. No other ability I could think of describes Savannah better. If you want to give me constructive criticism on how to make this game better or how to run games better I’ll happily listen. But I think I’m within my right to say that hearing more of “bad game is bad” is annoying. And I’m not the only one to say this, because one of you even said that in the thread itself.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Next

Return to AARs