Mafia CLVI, Charity Mafia: Town Victory

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Mafia CLVI, Charity Mafia: Town Victory

Postby Telleo » 30 Dec 2016, 05:34

ExiledAtHome wrote:Hey all, any games on the horizon?

The Pending Games subsection will be the place to find upcoming games. As has been mentioned, Condude's got a game in signups, and I've got another one in the works.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Postby bkbkbk » 03 Jan 2017, 04:09

asudevil wrote:
bkbkbk wrote:Missed you zippy*, was sorry I couldn't play!

*and everyone else of course

BK...you ole' rascal you ... are you going to come around some more. Im debating running a Doctor Who themed game soon...was going to try and round up some of the ex-usual suspects.

Hey asu! I'm still not really in a place where I can put the time into playing that I'd want to so I'll have to turn you down for now. I'm keen to get back involved in some form or another though so hopefully I'll see you around.

(Still game for some live mafia if there's interest)
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Zoomzip » 05 Jan 2017, 20:15

So, my AAR -- Part 1, Design and Implementaiton

Acknowledgements

First, it is cool to see bkbkbk back in the forums, even if he's not playing. Dude helped me out and his advice has always stayed with me on how to play this game and how to design it.

Second, special thanks to Telleo for stepping up as an Assistant GM after her death. She was wonderful to work with.

Third, an acknowledgement of influences. Crunkus' RHPS had some interesting mechanics on how roles and kills worked, and was sort of swirling around in the back of my head. Vindictus had a game called GOP Mini Mafia years ago that I also loved, and it had some neat playing around with how roles worked as a logic puzzle. So both of those were atmospheric inspirations. Additionally, I wanted to create a game that could potentially be re-run if people were interested. I think if you design your own roles or play around, the fundamental mechanic is an interesting one.

Design Considerations

The odd thing about the game was figuring out how to make it work. The fundamental rule I wanted was that once you know what role you had, you should not have control over how it is used. For investigative roles, this was pretty simple: Player A gives to Player B, then Player B investigates Player C, so Player B is empowered. However, the buffing or ability roles would have to work differently. If Player A has the double voter ability, then simply making them give it to Player B means Player A still has control over where it is. So now the ability had to work slightly differently, Player A gives Player B the ability to empower Player C, thus removing it from Player A's control. So the passing mechanism you will see works slightly differently on the nature of the role, but the fundamental rule is always to take the minimum number of steps to remove control from the player over how the role is used.

Charting out the roles followed from figuring that out, but also building in some ability to futz with Town Plans to nullify the mechanic. The TOR Project's randomization became the first role fo that type and first role I fleshed out. I added the "Ninjafication" to it later based on flavor. Red Cross/Red Crescent was an easy choice for a Doc type role. I then futzed around with some ideas. Girl Scouts, WWF, and Long Now were largely unchanged, and ProPublica as a cop made sense. PBS was originally a watcher, but a town with a potential cop/watcher/tracker/doc set-up seemed OP as hell, even if hobbled by the redirect, so I changed PBS to clarifying. This was actually a vanilla role, since there was no deceptive role in the game, but it could serve to make cop results non 100% indicative and make people think about it. ACLU and NOW were two of the last roles added once I figured out how to remove control.

And Away They Go...

Randomly assigned the roles and the alignments. Mafia knew, per the private rules, that their roles could have been town roles and were only mafia because of RNG. Harb sends me a snarky message when he is assigned The TOR Project and it makes me happy. Mafia team is in control of all IR related roles, which is interesting, and the potentially mafia sided roles of redirect and block are town sided.

Let me just say that I love how well this game was embraced by all of the players. Even those that subbed out. ASUDevil made a judgement call, and made it well, and Fuddin also figured out he didn't have the bandwidth. Dodgy and Keirador were fantastic subs, and my deep thanks to them. But really, I've seen games plagued by poor participation, and this game was not one of them. All players on all teams played a good game.

Day by Day

N0 was a quiet affair, with some discussion by HM and Condude but I don't think they really planned how to maximize their roles sufficiently (especially as the kill was in addition to their roles, so they had role + Kill).

D1 was a standard D1, and Thyrfing's death was, I think, unfortunate (And townie driven, primarily by Telleo) -- I think Thyrfing had a good point on the concerns about notification status as the notifications roughly aligned with whether or not a role was an investigative role or not. However, he kind of dropped out of the thread at the end, and his death was sad.

N1 HM is genuinely mystified by Harb and Telleo's night plans, and Condude never actually coaches him, so the subsequent confusion that HM put in thread was utterly genuine because Condude let him swing on that. HM pushes for a kill of Telleo, which he gets, setting up some lovely near disasters D2.

D2 was hilarious. Telleo is dead, and she is the only one who knows that Keirador's double voting power has been passed right back to Keirador. So Keirador is double voting and unaware of the fact. At one point, had the day ended the town would have lost with three townies going down. 20 minutes later the town nearly won with both HM and condude tied. Ultimately, Condude goes down and feels a bit left out by HM not getting back into thread to change votes, which might have actually changed things since Condude turning red does sort things out.

N2 HM rallies his spirits nightly. Harb is thinking things through, and sending insightful feedback. SJG has run his plan, which worked really well in the circumstances. Which makes D3 even more confusing...

D3 The suicide pact has been discussed, but Keirador sent the double voting empowerment to Harb, who sent it to Happymeal. Happymeal is unaware he is a double voter, but gleefully having fun using the PM role he has picked up. What HM did with the PM Role is still not entirely clear to me as a plan, but the chaos and fun with which he did it delighted me. While Harb is out of thread the suicide pact gets launched and people way too prematurely throw down "End Day" Votes. HM is actually convinced he has lost the game when the 4th end day comes in and he hasn't switched off. However, the secret two votes on SJG breaks the tie, and SJG is hoisted by his own plan.

N3 HM kills Harb, SJG is out, the Graveyard chat is wonderful as the suicide pact is debated all around.

D4 Town does the sensible thing.

SJG11 should be MVP, but the suicide pact mistake makes me throw my vote to Keirador

Questions to All:
1) Was this enjoyable to play?
2) Do you think this mechanic is worth replaying at some point?
3) IF you have any feedback for the GM, please let me know.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Harb » 05 Jan 2017, 22:51

I found the game very enjoyable. In particular I found the different tensions my role created very interesting and exciting to explore. I think there's definitely room for this mechanic to be replayed. It's a fun variant that stays focused on basic mafia play for the most part.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Postby Zoomzip » 06 Jan 2017, 16:25

Cool! So while I may run it again some day, I have put the rules and roles out for anyone to steal if they decide they want to run it. Sort of like the way the rules to Aliens were put out there for people to use. Maybe I'll run a new version around Christmas next year, but if other people have ideas then please feel free to take the rules and run with it!
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Previous

Return to AARs