Mafia CLV: Fable Mafia 8: Town Victory

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia CLV: Fable Mafia 8: Town Victory

Postby sjg11 » 08 Dec 2016, 23:12

Right so, let's start with the Night Actions:
Happymeal selected theGreatPlaya as the Anointed (he initially picked Don Juan but changed at the last minute, how differently would this game have gone if that had gone through?)

The Mafia were Jordan and theGreatPlaya. On Night One they guessed condude for the Anointed, on Night 2 they guessed BROCKENBROUGH.

The scumchat link is here:
https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/79wS5d6WGvx

So, first things first, well done to both teams in this game! The town played effectively throughout and functioned well, more than well enough to carry the win across in the game. Jordan's an impressive newer player and I hope to see him around in other games soon. You, for the second game in a row, gave a good account of yourself as Mafia Jordan. Well done!

Oh, and thank you for moving a step closer to saving sjg. To those who also played in Fable 7, shame on you for dragging him into hell in the first place. :evil:

So, onto business. Firstly some individual points:
condude: Really well played. You made the right call on the main mechanical issue of Day One and you made the right call on Jordan on Day Three. One issue is that your Day Two play potentially made you a viable mislynch on Day Three but you overcame that well enough.
Zoomzip: Outside of the suicide, well played. Just don't suicide as town again.
Happymeal: Really good performance on Day One. You pushed through an Anointed lynch, often alone (and in my view you pushing that position caused a slip from Jordan which should have been chased up better in future days).
Keirador: Inactive on Day One, it happens to the best of us. Good performance after that though. You were pretty close to being bang on during Day Two and then lost your way a little bit on Day Three as you became distracted by Chuck at points.
Jordan: Good performance. The thing that let you down here is an inability to push through a narrative in a 2:1 situation. In those scenarios it's so important to be pro-active and take control of the discussion at an early stage and that's what you need to work on next time.
Chuck: Thanks for replacing in. Generally good Day Two, you called Zoomzip correctly, but you then got distracted by Keirador on Day Three which potentially extended the game by an extra day.
Harb: Solid performance as ever.
justy: Well played. You made the right calls at the important moments and contributed well to a team win.
GreatPlaya: Not much to say here.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mafia CLV: Fable Mafia 8: Town Victory

Postby Keirador » 08 Dec 2016, 23:21

For anybody who missed it in-thread, I just want to reiterate my sincere apologies for that string of abusive posts from me. I get unreasonably frustrated when mislynched and that combined with too much alcohol turned into an inexcusable mess. I'm sorry.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby condude1 » 08 Dec 2016, 23:30

Keirador: No problem. I wrote it off as you being drunk, and promptly townread you for it.

Now, I get to gloat! You guys should have listened to me D3, it would have saved you a lot of trouble. ;) Seriously though, well done guys. That was a smooth D4.

For some reason, I get a lot better as the days progress. I think it's because I can do backreads a lot more accurately with more people's alignment's revealed. Plus I actually have the time to do those backreads. My reads progressed from crap on D1 to on target by EOD3.

Also, sorry to Sjg for making a comment about game balance being thrown off by the lurkers. I hate when people do that in my games, and I felt bad about it shortly after I made it. The game was balanced nicely.

Things I need to work on: Standing up for my reads more thoroughly. Both ZZ and UDC I strongly felt were town by the time they were lynched, but didn't defend them enough. I think this is a bit of fear of being scumread, which is still a weakness of mine (you guys kind of conditioned me to play defensively though! :D )
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Keirador » 08 Dec 2016, 23:38

FWIW condude, your arguments on justy and Jordan heavily influenced my decision there. You're my vote for MVP.

As for my own gloating, justy > Jordan would have been an autowin from a partnering perspective. I felt pretty strongly any conceivable team had to have justy on it, but I got scumread for that. Let the record show, I am nowhere near as persuasive, inventive, or focused as town as UDC thinks I am.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 08 Dec 2016, 23:43

condude for MVP. Justy also did good. Tough luck for the scum I think having chooser pick one of them D1, good job to Jordan for living as long as he did.

Sorry to Keirador/Harb for misreading you. I think I tend to be overly paranoid about players I think are good and that came back to bite me here.
UpsideDownChuck

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Jordan767 » 08 Dec 2016, 23:43

Condude for MVP. Spot-on reads and D1 mechanics.

Full AAR later.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Keirador » 08 Dec 2016, 23:51

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Tough luck for the scum I think having chooser pick one of them D1

Yeah, part of the reason I preferred hunting a pair on D3 was that the town would have to have been quite lucky for the chooser to hit a scum right off the bat, and I never assume I've been lucky. I did a very poor job of explaining my reasoning D3.
Keirador

Postby sjg11 » 09 Dec 2016, 00:17

I agree with the calls for condude for MVP. He was influential in the Playa lynch and his pushing on Day Three led to the Jordan lynch as well. Really good performance.

More details in my above post.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 09 Dec 2016, 01:05

GM notes added.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Jordan767 » 09 Dec 2016, 05:56

sjg11 wrote:Happymeal selected theGreatPlaya as the Anointed (he initially picked Don Juan but changed at the last minute, how differently would this game have gone if that had gone through?)

No shit!
sjg11 wrote:Jordan: Good performance. The thing that let you down here is an inability to push through a narrative in a 2:1 situation. In those scenarios it's so important to be pro-active and take control of the discussion at an early stage and that's what you need to work on next time.

Yeah I screwed up the LYLO. Should've been more proactive. I got off on the back foot D4 and ended up on the defensive and couldn't switch the momentum.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to AARs