Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game over (Town wins!)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game over (Town wins!)

Postby thewysecat » 03 Mar 2018, 14:23

Game Roster

1. nanooktheeskimo - lynched d1, honest cop
2. sjg11 - survives
3. condude1 - lynched d2, dirty cop
4. RedSun mhsmith0
5. kimbyrle - survives
6. Harb - survives
7. ExiledAtHome - survives
8. Parabellum - lynched d3 - dirty cop
9. Keirador - killed n3 - honest cop
10. Dwiltse1114 - killed n2 - honest cop
11. shadowface upsidedownchuck - lynched d4 - dirty cop
12. asudevil - killed n1, honest cop

Reserves
12. Telleo
13. upsidedownchuck
14. mhsmith0
15. Justy

Game Map
Shadow replaced by Chuck on d1
End of d1 - Nanook is driven out of the force and revealed to be an honest cop
RedSun replaced by mhsmith0
Asudevil is murdered during n1 and revealed to be an honest cop
End of d2 - condude1 is stripped of all rank and revealed to be a dirty cop
Dwiltse1114 is murdered during n2 and revealed to be an honest cop
End of d3 - Parabellum is exited from the unit and revealed to be a dirty cop
Keirador is murdered during n3 and revealed to be an honest cop
End of d4 - upsidedownchuck is removed from the police force and revealed to be a dirty cop. Town wins!

AAR is here
Last edited by thewysecat on 20 Mar 2018, 04:03, edited 19 times in total.
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Re: Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game thread

Postby thewysecat » 03 Mar 2018, 14:25

Internal Affairs 2.0 Rules

Welcome to Internal Affairs 2.0

Hello everyone,

This was an original concept and game design by Rolan A Doobie, a fine mechanics developer. It was actually played back in 2011, but the GMing was botched in the handover from Rolan and the game was broken as a result. For me, it was one of this mafia forum's greatest lost opportunities. It is a short game and AAR thread, you can view it here.

Rolan isn't around as far as I know, and I hope he would not mind seeing this played. He handed the game over at the time to another GM so in that spirit...

I decided now might be a time to attempt a revival since the forum has once again been inducted into the idea that alignment cop is a fundamentally broken role. You see, in this game, every town role is a cop! Well, a cop of varying degrees of reliability.

It is a beautiful little puzzle and may even survive multiple playings. We never really found out back in 2011 though of course I offered some strategic theory at the time as I am want to do...

Basics/Overview

Internal Affairs is the story of the Doobieville police force rocked by the realization that some of their number are dirty when Chief Constable Rolan A Doobie is found murdered. It is clearly an inside job!

There will be 9 Honest Cops who want to clean up Doobieville, and 3 Dirty Cops who want to murder them and skip town.

{Note this larger version is not the original design by Rolan and so it will play very differently with different strategy given the increased duplication of roles.]

For the Dirty Cops - they just have a night kill. They can speak privately via PM during the day and night phase

For the Honest Cops - There are 5 different flavours of Honest Cop.
#1 Sane Cop = results are always correct
#2 Insane Cop = results are always reversed
#3 Paranoid Cop = results are always "Dirty"
#4 Naive Cop = results are always "Honest"
#5 Random Cop = results are always random

Given that there are 9 Honest Cops each flavor will appear twice except one which will be held by only one Honest Cop. This role will be randomly selected from those 5 flavours, putting one single in the game. There could be two Sane Cops, or two Random Cops, or two of any other type (but not three). And only one role will be singular.

Cops are NOT told their own flavour, and that flavor is NOT revealed upon their death.

Also, no self-investigations allowed!

In this larger version of the game there will no longer be a dying declaration, investigation reveal and vote by any Honest Cop nightkilled. I wrestled with this, but in the larger version I think this is likely too town-sided.

That said, there will no longer be a kill on N0 and all Honest Cops will get a N0 investigation

Role assignment PMs

They will essentially look like this:

Alignment : Honest Cop
Role: Cop

- Each Night, you may investigate one of your colleagues.
- The results you get are the results you get. They come without explanation or guarantee.

Alignment : Dirty Cop
Role: Killer

- Each Night, you and your partner (_______________) can KILL another player of your choosing. Submit this name to me via PM during the Night Phase.
- You may speak privately during the Day and Night Phase.

When will this run?
N0 will begin on Saturday 3 March, 2018

D1 will begin on Monday 5 March, 2018

Victory Conditions

Honest Cops (Town) win when all the Dirty Cops (mafia) are dead.

Dirty Cops (Mafia) win if they are equal or superior in numbers to the Honest Cops at any point in the game

There are no other kinds of victory conditions in play

Always play to your victory conditions. If I suspect you are not then I will investigate and reserve the right to remove you from the game.

Statement about the rules
Unless directly specified otherwise as a unique ability of your role all of the following applies to all players

The game will be played in two phases – day and night.

Night Zero
The game begins with a 48-hour, Night 0. The Dirty Cops get to talk strategy and tactics. There will be no N0 kill in this larger version of the game

Each Honest Cop will also submit an order to investigate one other player in the game.

All Honest Cops will also receive their investigation results before the end of N0.

Day
After night zero, the game begins in earnest in a day phase.

Each game day will last at least 72 hours in RL. During this time players will discuss and vote on who they wish to see busted by Internal Affairs (lynched) at the end of that game day as a suspected Dirty Cop (mafia).

No Lynch is no longer a valid vote option. Again in the larger version of the game I think this is too town-sided to be allowed.

I will generally stick closely to this deadline, but as a matter of policy I will not make the exact deadline 100% predictable. Players are allowed to keep posting and voting until I post the GM’s end of day message

Night
All players are encouraged to submit their night orders promptly and where possible/desired in advance of the end of day. I will then do my best to operate speed deadlines. Otherwise, night will last approximately 24 hours in RL subject to GM availability.

Lynch Voting
Voting is public, in large, red letters. I will naturally use common sense around misspellings and acronyms etc., but votes not in this format will not be recognised by the GM

The player with the most votes at the end of game day will be lynched.

In the event of a tied vote between two or more lynch candidates then the player with the longest continuity with their current lynch vote (or higher) total will be lynched. For example, if Player A reached 4 votes and then Player B reached 4 votes - Player A would be lynched. Also note that if Player A reached 4 votes and then Player B reached 4 votes and subsequently Player A blipped down to 3 before returning to 4 votes then Player B would be lynched not Player A. This is because in that context Player B has the longest continuity of being on 4 (or more) votes - they are considered to have therefore been at (at least) their current vote count total longer.

Self-votes will be counted.

Running Vote Counts
As GM I will not provide regular vote counts though I will provide a final vote count at end of day. Tracking the current vote count will be a player responsibility. I believe this encourages player attentiveness to the thread. It also leaves scope for player shenanigans...and I’m lazy. Plus C4 has a nice 'machine' to help you.

Communication
Dirty Cops (Mafia) will have the ability to communicate via PM during the day and night phases. This is another amendment to reflect the new and larger game structure.

The GM must be copied in on all PMs.

Any players with a PM ability may – if they wish – use their own web board instead of or additional to PM as long as the GM has access to it. All other forms of communication (RL, IRC etc) are prohibited. The honour system is in force

Except where specified all communication between players outside the game thread about the game is prohibited. The honour system is in force

GM Messages

No copying and pasting of any correspondence with the GM or GM messages in thread or in PMs is allowed. No exceptions upon pain of ModKill!

Posting in Thread

Editing posts is strictly forbidden. No exceptions! No, not even spelling or grammar, not even if it is 10 seconds later, not even if it is to properly format a vote. Just post again! Simple

Posting is only allowed during the day phase. There is to be no posting at night until the GM’s dawn message signalling the start of a new day phase

No ghost posting - sorry - not even "curses" or something you imagine to be amusing :roll: - save it for the AAR - when you're dead - no more posting.

Also, once you are dead, no communication with anyone about the game because they may be needed to sub in at a later date. The only exception is with fellow dead players in a 'dead thread' that can be created in partnership with the GM.

Decorum
You can be 'robust' in your communications as long as it is 100% about playing to your victory conditions and obtaining in-game advantage for your team. If it is about emotional leakage and/or just being abusive because you are pissed off or whatever...you are being a dick. Don't be a dick. I reserve the right to make an intervention up to and including Modkill if you are being a dick. Don't be a dick.

Racist, homophobic or other group-targeted hate comments will not be tolerated. They will result in an instant Modkill.

Night Orders
All players will have night orders. They will be executed (if in game) in this sequence:
1. Investigative Phase
2. Kill Phase

I will do my best to prompt night orders, but you will have approximately 24 hours RL from the GM’s end of day message. Prompt or even early (submitted during the game day) orders are much appreciated.

I will try to avoid NMRs so I will not be dick about orders a few minutes late – the first time it happens! Everyone gets one strike. Second strike and it will be tough luck. That said, this grace only applies if I have yet to process the night orders, send out dawn messages or post the GM’s dawn message. If any of those have happened then obviously it is too late.

As long as they are received within the deadline I will accept changed orders – the first set are not necessarily final. That said, keep in mind that I might be trying to run speed deadlines so if I have received all orders you may miss your chance to change your orders even if the 24 hours have not expired.

Inactivity/NMRs
I hope to have reserves/subs in place and if becomes necessary to replace an inactive I will do my best to recruit a replacement. With NMRs (no post for 36 hours or missed night orders) – again everyone gets one strike. However, second strike (i.e. total, not sequential) and you are out. I will seek a replacement

Death/Internal Affairs (What's the difference? Am I right?)
There are only two ways to die: day lynch; and night kill by the Dirty Cops

In all cases only the faction of any dead player will be revealed upon death, not any role abilities.

Death reveal for day lynches will be posted 'immediately' - i.e. as part of the GM post for the start of the following night phase

I will generally make it a habit to have a brief delay between the final lynch count and posting death reveal. This will allow for players to spot any GM errors in the lynch vote count and warn me...

At dawn any night deaths will be reported and death reveals will be done for them.

Role and Alignment Allocation & other random events
All random events/allocations will be handled using random.org

Any questions or comments please post or PM particularly if you spot oversights, contradictions, ambiguities etc.
Last edited by thewysecat on 03 Mar 2018, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
thewysecat

Re: Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game thread

Postby thewysecat » 03 Mar 2018, 14:49

Please note that there have been some small but significant rules changes to reflect that this is now a 12-player game. Please re-read the rules carefully

We are in Day One. Please begin posting

D1 Game clock

Doobieville Internal Affairs are delighted to be leading this investigation

Wyse
thewysecat

Re: Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game thread (Day 1)

Postby Nanook » 06 Mar 2018, 00:53

Stupidface

Investigated Shadow, got a dirty IR back, until given a reason to think that IR is innacurate I'll stick to it.

Class is about to start, I'll be back in tonight.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 00:54

Well that stated earlier than expected. Guess I have time for real discussion before class after all! But first...

Wyse's post on strategy from 2011.

ISO Links

Main Roster

search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Nanooktheeskimo
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Sjg11
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Condude1
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=RedSun
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Kimbyrle
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Harb
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=ExiledAtHome
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Parabellum
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Keirador
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Dwiltse1114
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Shadowface
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Asudevil

Reserves

search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Telleo
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=UpsideDownChuck
search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=Mhsmith0

GM Posts

search.php?f=306&t=57312&author=thewysecat

For N0 I investigated Harb. I chose him because I was just* talking to Keir in the queue thread about how difficult scumHarb is to lynch. While I felt that discussing IR targets before the game would be over the line, I hoped he might have read the strategy post linked above and was breadcrumbing toward suggesting Harb.

I got a result of Honest. That rules me out as the paranoid cop.

*Before the role PMs went out. Keep your pants on.

Also, stupidface. You know why.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 00:54

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Stupidface

Investigated Shadow, got a dirty IR back, until given a reason to think that IR is innacurate I'll stick to it.

Reasons? Like maybe you're the paranoid cop or the random cop? There's two.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby RedSun » 06 Mar 2018, 00:56

Hold up guys should we be revealing investigation results? If the scum figure out whose correct and whose incorrect they'll know who to kill because of their accuracy.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 00:56

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Stupidface

Reasons? Like maybe you're the paranoid cop or the random cop? There's two.

Or insane.
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 00:57

RedSun wrote:Hold up guys should we be revealing investigation results? If the scum figure out whose correct and whose incorrect they'll know who to kill because of their accuracy.

Yes. Read the strategy post I linked above. We need all our IRs out and on the table because those are where scum will have to lie.
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 00:59

kimbyrle wrote:
RedSun wrote:Hold up guys should we be revealing investigation results? If the scum figure out whose correct and whose incorrect they'll know who to kill because of their accuracy.

Yes. Read the strategy post I linked above. We need all our IRs out and on the table because those are where scum will have to lie.

And they don't necessarily know. I got an Honest on Harb, but I could be naive, random, or insane and that result might be wrong. Scum doesn't know our cop type any more than we do.
kimpossible

Next

Return to Game Threads