Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game over (Town wins!)

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Re: Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game thread (Day 1)

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 02:57

Investigated sjg11 and got dirty.

Am liking the tone of thread so far. Not reading our game master's thoughts on how town should play this game is utterly ridiculous, and apart from posting their investigation results immediately, everybody should be familiar with twc's posts before posting. Obviously it's not all applicable to a different set-up, and feel free to argue that twc is wrong, but at least be aware of his posts there.

I investigated sjg because I was aiming for a player 1) likely to be investigated by lots of people, and 2) likely to die early. I did consider Harb for #1, but sjg has a much better meta for early deaths, and I know as of late he's been trying to embrace his poor fortune and make his early deaths as town-positive as possible.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 06 Mar 2018, 02:58

kimbyrle wrote:Since I have some unexpected extra bonus time because day started earlier than the clock said...

I read Wyse's strategy post from 2011 back at the beginning of February, so it's had plenty of time to percolate. The changes for the 12-player version definitely fuck with a few things, but the core of it where he suggests mass IRs on one person... that's still a powerful tool we can use. 1) It forces scum to fit a lie in, and 2) It gives them a strong disincentive to kill someone we've mass read. And since our reads happen before they kill, if we pick a target today, they aren't going to die tonight, and they're unlikely to in the near future either. So it's a sort of lingering pseudo-doctor.

I've also been pondering whether we should consider splitting the IR between two different targets, half on one person, half on the other. The downside is that it would muddy up any data we get from the IRs and eventual flip. But the upside is that it speeds up the point at which scum have to kill someone we've investigated. I'm still not sure what the best approach is.

The other obvious change is that with no-lynches off the table, we have two mislynches before we have to get it right. But I also keep thinking that isn't really all that different from the 8-player version: they were able to no-lynch once and mislynch once before being at MYLO, so... it's not really a huge difference in terms of how quickly we need to catch scum. So I think pressure is somewhat higher for good scumhunting, but not so much that we're significantly worse off than the 8-player group would have been.

Ok, that's my immediate stuff. Looking forward to actual interaction.

SHIT I'm excited about this game. Logic puzzle is exactly what I need to recover from hidden rule frustration.

PPE: Yep, read it. And interesting. We're opposite results on Harb.

well then since my computer decided to run an error and erase my entire post ill just do a quick run cuz now im irritated.... on vaca for 3 months so will try to be more interactive them my usual gameplay but not promising ill get to everything

kim town lean due to the way she is communicating in thread seems similer to wrestling

nanook--->shadowface dirty cant be naïve
exile---> harb dirty cant be naïve
dwilt---> condude honest cant be paranoid
kim---> harb honest cant be paranoid
para----> exile honest cant be paranoid
red---> harb honest cant be paranoid
(hoping I got all right didn't actually check again)

nanook was first to reveal/suggest reveal... (was also first to suggest reveal of cards in wrestling which was a scum motive) tho we all agree with the reveal thus far
redsun questions reveal gives up after 1 post
para questions reveal and takes concincing from others and strat guide to see its a good idea

bolded I think is a good idea as it can get a lot of data from most say investigating harb and allow a next target and info on them from a few players as well...
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Dwiltse1114

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:01

Harb, on the town EAH was taking re: Little Miss Townie, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down: that EAH seems vaguely dissatisfied that kim is capable of that Aura of Greater Towniness effect, and that's weird, because it's helpful for town. Is that correct? If so, I'd point out that Exiled just lost a game as scum, in quite significant part because of kim's AGT special ability, so that might be the source of dissatisfaction.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:04

kim wrote:For N0 I investigated Harb. I chose him because I was just* talking to Keir in the queue thread about how difficult scumHarb is to lynch. While I felt that discussing IR targets before the game would be over the line, I hoped he might have read the strategy post linked above and was breadcrumbing toward suggesting Harb.

Mmm, definitively not what I intended. I wouldn't consider "breadcrumbing" information on in-game strategy out-of-thread to be any different than explicitly discussing IR targets out-of-thread; ie., not OK. Sorry for my part in that misunderstanding. Harb was obviously a good target anyway. Just, in my opinion, less likely to die early enough to offer that clarity.
Keirador

Postby ExiledAtHome » 06 Mar 2018, 03:05

Harb wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:I mentioned to Telleo while kibitzing Normal that I'm trying to lean more on first impressions instead of torturing myself around in circles over little things. We'll see where that lands long term, but short term it means EAH.

Weirded out by this post that struck me as performative. I don't even know what Kim post/s he's referring to that made him feel this way, and the tone is off in a way that I'm having trouble explaining.

Additionally I didn't like the tone of his jump in on the PB/RS innocent versus honest discussion. It seems like he's stoking a fire that's burning real low. (PPE: PB notes this is soft pushing. Never a fan of that particular idea, but I think we're thinking the same things.

Harb,

Not sure it you're familiar with Kim's meta, but it's been an ongoing light-hearted insight that she just comes across as super townie when she's town, helpful in logging data, for example, and has a tough time faking things. There's a genuineness to her. In this particular reference, I was speaking more to her overall approach, which mirrors my own, which was essentially: read the Wyse link, adopt a lessons learned approach, commit to reveals, and narrow in on a collective IR target or two. This is how I approached entry into the game (my initial post suggested everyone read Wyse's link to the prior game), and Kim was the one other player thus far strongly pushing that idea as well. So I dig it. What's wrong with my tone?
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 06 Mar 2018, 03:06

nanook--->shadowface dirty cant be naïve
exile---> harb dirty cant be naïve
dwilt---> condude honest cant be paranoid
kim---> harb honest cant be paranoid
para----> exile honest cant be paranoid
red---> harb honest cant be paranoid
kier---> sjg dirty cant be naïve
harb---> shadow honest cant be paranoid

conflicts on investigation

shadowface: nanook vs harb
harb: exile vs kim and red
Dwiltse1114

Postby Harb » 06 Mar 2018, 03:07

Keirador wrote:Harb, on the town EAH was taking re: Little Miss Townie, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down: that EAH seems vaguely dissatisfied that kim is capable of that Aura of Greater Towniness effect, and that's weird, because it's helpful for town. Is that correct? If so, I'd point out that Exiled just lost a game as scum, in quite significant part because of kim's AGT special ability, so that might be the source of dissatisfaction.

Actually, that's something I can totally see but not what I was getting at. It struck me more as a point where EAH was trying to say something that looked townie but didn't mean it. I didn't see any disgruntlement, but someone going for earnestness. I I was more tweaked by the fact that I'm not sure what he's referencing, that Kim has a pretty limited number of posts for striking a Kim level townie chord, and that he's also pointing out she's in the same space as him while pointing out how townie she is.

If that's the source of his dissatisfaction, how do you read that right now? I'm not sure if you're supporting or dissuading the idea you thought I was putting forth.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:08

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Stupidface

Investigated Shadow, got a dirty IR back, until given a reason to think that IR is innacurate I'll stick to it.

Headdesk. And I don't mean I'm so frustrated I'm hitting my head against the desk. I mean I'm going to find you and put your head through a desk.

If you are passingly familiar with the basic foundational premise of this game, you should be able to conjure up three reasons to think that IR is inaccurate.
Keirador

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 06 Mar 2018, 03:10

ok it might have been mentioned but I missed it can anyone explain to me why peaopl are using stupidface and not shadowface?
Dwiltse1114

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:13

Harb wrote:
Keirador wrote:Harb, on the town EAH was taking re: Little Miss Townie, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down: that EAH seems vaguely dissatisfied that kim is capable of that Aura of Greater Towniness effect, and that's weird, because it's helpful for town. Is that correct? If so, I'd point out that Exiled just lost a game as scum, in quite significant part because of kim's AGT special ability, so that might be the source of dissatisfaction.

Actually, that's something I can totally see but not what I was getting at. It struck me more as a point where EAH was trying to say something that looked townie but didn't mean it. I didn't see any disgruntlement, but someone going for earnestness. I I was more tweaked by the fact that I'm not sure what he's referencing, that Kim has a pretty limited number of posts for striking a Kim level townie chord, and that he's also pointing out she's in the same space as him while pointing out how townie she is.

If that's the source of his dissatisfaction, how do you read that right now? I'm not sure if you're supporting or dissuading the idea you thought I was putting forth.

Dissuading the idea that I thought you were putting forth. "Little Miss Townie" does not strike me as a compliment, a jovial thing to say, or really anything besides sarcasm. I make similarly jocularly embellishing comments on kim's towniness, but I guess there's something about employing the diminutive here that strikes me as unfriendly/unhappy/ungruntled. I thought you were saying the sour note was scum-indicative, I was countering that it could be carry-over sourness from last game, but you're saying you don't see it as sour at all? So we're talking past each other and should probs let EAH weigh in.
Keirador

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads