Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game over (Town wins!)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game thread (Day 1)

Postby ExiledAtHome » 06 Mar 2018, 03:39

Ah, yes, Normal, not Fable.

Harb, can you elaborate on how you picking me out as scum in Normal is potentially influencing your read on me here?
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby RedSun » 06 Mar 2018, 03:40

Keirador wrote:
ExiledAtHome wrote:
Harb wrote:
Actually, that's something I can totally see but not what I was getting at. It struck me more as a point where EAH was trying to say something that looked townie but didn't mean it. I didn't see any disgruntlement, but someone going for earnestness. I I was more tweaked by the fact that I'm not sure what he's referencing, that Kim has a pretty limited number of posts for striking a Kim level townie chord, and that he's also pointing out she's in the same space as him while pointing out how townie she is.

If that's the source of his dissatisfaction, how do you read that right now? I'm not sure if you're supporting or dissuading the idea you thought I was putting forth.

Harb, this doesn't seem like you at all. Are you seriously questioning why Kim would stand out as more townie to me than anyone else at that time?

. . . that's not what's happening.

ExiledAtHome wrote:**As for Little Miss Townie, just some joking sour grapes from last game, Fable 10. Completely independent from my alignment in this game. Scum EAH doesn't probably want to impugn towniness on any serious level. Just messing with Kim.

Uh. . . you mean Normal. Wasn't she third party in Fable 10 and didn't have her normal Aura of Greater Towniness?

In Fable 10 she was the towniest town ever. When she flipped green that made me question everything.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:40

ExiledAtHome wrote:
Harb wrote:
ExiledAtHome wrote:Harb,

Not sure it you're familiar with Kim's meta, but it's been an ongoing light-hearted insight that she just comes across as super townie when she's town, helpful in logging data, for example, and has a tough time faking things. There's a genuineness to her. In this particular reference, I was speaking more to her overall approach, which mirrors my own, which was essentially: read the Wyse link, adopt a lessons learned approach, commit to reveals, and narrow in on a collective IR target or two. This is how I approached entry into the game (my initial post suggested everyone read Wyse's link to the prior game), and Kim was the one other player thus far strongly pushing that idea as well. So I dig it. What's wrong with my tone?

Definitely familiar with the meta. The note about overall approach is a good one, I can dig that. Was there anything in particular that came across as genuine?

As for tone, I'm not sure. It didn't feel genuine in a way that I'm struggling to explain. Trying too hard to fit in maybe? Anticipating that others were gonna feel that way, wanting to get in on their goodwill when everyone was patting themselves on the back for townreading Kim. Like trying to drop a Telleo limerick your first visit here cause it seems like this thing people do.

Striking a townie chord, for me, was her willingness to jump in and offer to track reveals, her immediate correction of dWilte(?) positing that we pursue No-Lynch votes (which is prohibited by the rules), and her overall encouragement that people read and adopt some permutation of Wyse's strategy. Her over all engagement just strikes me as anathema to what scum would be trying to do, and if she's scum, it's a damned good facade, which she's traditionally struggled with.

That sort of record-keeping rule-defining kinda custodial stuff is not what she actually ever struggled with, tho'.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Nanook » 06 Mar 2018, 03:41

Keirador wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Alrighty, back in thread and catching up. Before that--yes, OBVIOUSLY reasons exist to doubt my IR of shadow--but until I see evidence of those reasons, it's just as likely to be accurate as anybody else's. Christ people. I read the rules, keep your damn socks on.

So you think everybody should be voting for their IR if they got a red check? What does it mean to you that apart from yourself, nobody who got a red check is doing that?

If that someone made the first post of the game--yes.

It means to me that they didn't make the first post of the game and have nothing else/better to go on.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Nanook » 06 Mar 2018, 03:43

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Stupidface

Investigated Shadow, got a dirty IR back, until given a reason to think that IR is innacurate I'll stick to it.

Class is about to start, I'll be back in tonight.

Reasons? Like maybe you're the paranoid cop or the random cop? There's two.

I could also be an insane cop, there's a third.

On the very first post of the game, why would I not proceed with the best information available to me, which is a red IR on shadow? There are reasons in the rules to doubt it, but nothing in the game to that point.

RedSun wrote:Hold up guys should we be revealing investigation results? If the scum figure out whose correct and whose incorrect they'll know who to kill because of their accuracy.

If this were Anyone Else except Always Paranoid Kypton I'd probably be scumreading you for this, but I think I reluctantly have to give you a pass on it since you've been super concerned about this in every game we've played together even when there's strong town-positive reasons to be open.

RedSun wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Yes. Read the strategy post I linked above. We need all our IRs out and on the table because those are where scum will have to lie.

And they don't necessarily know. I got an Honest on Harb, but I could be naive, random, or insane and that result might be wrong. Scum doesn't know our cop type any more than we do.

K I investigate Harb too and I got innocent

This is literally your next post. That's an exceptionally quick turnaround from "We shouldn't reveal" to "Oh ok let's reveal."

Parabellum wrote:Hi guys! Super excited to play again, after sitting out wrestling mafia (which was awesome to watch - y'all are so creative!).

I'm kind of confused on the reveals thing - should we be giving up all that info right off the bat? Since we have no idea who is right and who is wrong, it seems like it might help mafia more (since they already know alignment).

Oh look, it's Anyone Else.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:43

RedSun wrote:Also Kim: post your spreadsheet with claims at EOD each day so if your killed we can pick up on it

This is a good thought, but better is to put a link to an active Google Doc in your signature.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:44

Harb wrote:
Keirador wrote:Dissuading the idea that I thought you were putting forth. "Little Miss Townie" does not strike me as a compliment, a jovial thing to say, or really anything besides sarcasm. I make similarly jocularly embellishing comments on kim's towniness, but I guess there's something about employing the diminutive here that strikes me as unfriendly/unhappy/ungruntled. I thought you were saying the sour note was scum-indicative, I was countering that it could be carry-over sourness from last game, but you're saying you don't see it as sour at all? So we're talking past each other and should probs let EAH weigh in.

Why are you dissuading the idea you thought I was putting forth though? If EAH just lost a game as scum and Kim's Towniest of All feel was a part of, why is town EAH disgruntled at the start of this game? Shouldn't he be feeling relief that at least this time it's in his favor? I think I'm confused. Even granting some carryover feeling it's hard to imagine that sourness from a town to someone they think could be a huge asset, especially in someone who's fresh off of seeing that asset turn in a town win.

Fair point.
Keirador

Postby Harb » 06 Mar 2018, 03:45

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Alrighty, back in thread and catching up. Before that--yes, OBVIOUSLY reasons exist to doubt my IR of shadow--but until I see evidence of those reasons, it's just as likely to be accurate as anybody else's. Christ people. I read the rules, keep your damn socks on.

Actually, another note... RedSun, you poked at PB for the wording of his IR reveal. Why not Nanook, who was first to reveal?

Keirador wrote:. . . that's not what's happening.

Okay, not just me then? I thought I was overreacting and getting too into things, so I didn't mention it, but I did think that interpretation from EAH was off.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Postby Harb » 06 Mar 2018, 03:48

nanooktheeskimo wrote:On the very first post of the game, why would I not proceed with the best information available to me, which is a red IR on shadow? There are reasons in the rules to doubt it, but nothing in the game to that point.

So, just to be clear there wasn't any element of joking around shadow's meta with the vote? Just a straight vote based on best available info.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 03:50

"best available info" is gag-worthy and Nanook 100% knows it, so why is this happening?
Keirador

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads