Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game over (Town wins!)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Mafia CLXX: Internal Affairs 2.0 Game thread (Day 1)

Postby ExiledAtHome » 06 Mar 2018, 01:17

Parabellum wrote:Hi guys! Super excited to play again, after sitting out wrestling mafia (which was awesome to watch - y'all are so creative!).

I'm kind of confused on the reveals thing - should we be giving up all that info right off the bat? Since we have no idea who is right and who is wrong, it seems like it might help mafia more (since they already know alignment).

Typically, yeah I'd be a little cautious about InfoSec concerns, but we have several players in this game who are reliable cops, and that's a huge asset if we can ever determine who they are. And we can't determine who is reliable without reveals and cross referencing data.

The alternative is just to ignore the cop roles altogether and play vanilla, but that seems a major waste of a potential powerful tool. Have you read the original version of this game that Wyse linked to?
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 01:18

ExiledAtHome wrote:
Parabellum wrote:Hi guys! Super excited to play again, after sitting out wrestling mafia (which was awesome to watch - y'all are so creative!).

I'm kind of confused on the reveals thing - should we be giving up all that info right off the bat? Since we have no idea who is right and who is wrong, it seems like it might help mafia more (since they already know alignment).

Typically, yeah I'd be a little cautious about InfoSec concerns, but we have several players in this game who are reliable cops, and that's a huge asset if we can ever determine who they are. And we can't determine who is reliable without reveals and cross referencing data.

The alternative is just to ignore the cop roles altogether and play vanilla, but that seems a major waste of a potential powerful tool. Have you read the original version of this game that Wyse linked to?

Para, I put a link directly to his giant strategy post from that game in my first post here. It's awesome, by which I mean literally awe-inspiring. It might make you feel like an idiot... it certainly did me.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Parabellum » 06 Mar 2018, 01:19

kimbyrle wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, scum doesn't know our cop flavors any more than we do. Sharing info gives us a chance to triangulate in on who is what type of cop.

Mk. I get that, but doesn't alignment trump flavor? Like, isn't it more important to scumhunt than to try to pinpoint flavor, since scum will mess up our reveals anyway?
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Standard rating: (990)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby RedSun » 06 Mar 2018, 01:19

kimbyrle wrote:
RedSun wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:And they don't necessarily know. I got an Honest on Harb, but I could be naive, random, or insane and that result might be wrong. Scum doesn't know our cop type any more than we do.

K I investigate Harb too and I got innocent

Why did you pick Harb?

I remembered people talking about him in the forum about his scumgame and he's the only person I don't think I've played with yet.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Parabellum » 06 Mar 2018, 01:21

kimbyrle wrote:
ExiledAtHome wrote:

Para, I put a link directly to his giant strategy post from that game in my first post here. It's awesome, by which I mean literally awe-inspiring. It might make you feel like an idiot... it certainly did me.

Oh, I didn't look at that. I'll check it out, though I'm sure with this roster I'll feel like an idiot plenty of times throughout the game. :)
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 01:24

Parabellum wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, scum doesn't know our cop flavors any more than we do. Sharing info gives us a chance to triangulate in on who is what type of cop.

Mk. I get that, but doesn't alignment trump flavor? Like, isn't it more important to scumhunt than to try to pinpoint flavor, since scum will mess up our reveals anyway?

Also, yes, you are correct about scumhunting being top priority because we need to get one of them dead in a big damn hurry, and I don't think we'll have enough data before then to make the cop reveals useful. But the cop reveals are still a thing we want out there.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby Parabellum » 06 Mar 2018, 01:24

Also, Nanook, because he's not being very solvy and he checked out of the thread right when it was getting good.

Parabellum

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 01:25

And now I also have to leave for class. Back in ~3 hours.
kimpossible

Postby Parabellum » 06 Mar 2018, 01:34

Ok. I want to reread some parts of that thing Kim linked to, but here's the important part:

Town strategy?

Option 1 – lynch today – largely based on opening day garbage, highly likely go to 3:2. Then try to lynch right on day 2 with only one day of garbage lynch data to work on. Meanwhile, totally ignore the mechanics as a trick. So that’s our game? A Vanilla game with possibly only 2 lynches before loss? Very unattractive! And persuading you this is the town’s best option and shutting down any meaningful strategy dialogue with which – in turn - to generate meaningful scum-hunting thread data feels like a scum wet dream to me…

Option 2 – no lynch today. Go to 4:2. You must then no lynch day 2 as well. Go to 3:2 and have 3 nights of investigative data to layer on top of in-thread ‘guts’ and use that to make the ‘key’ lynch.

Which gives you better odds of spotting scum at the key 3:2 moment? Well, debating that should at least give you more data to play with either way.

So what do we think about no lynch?
Parabellum

Postby RedSun » 06 Mar 2018, 01:38

Parabellum wrote:Ok. I want to reread some parts of that thing Kim linked to, but here's the important part:

Town strategy?

Option 1 – lynch today – largely based on opening day garbage, highly likely go to 3:2. Then try to lynch right on day 2 with only one day of garbage lynch data to work on. Meanwhile, totally ignore the mechanics as a trick. So that’s our game? A Vanilla game with possibly only 2 lynches before loss? Very unattractive! And persuading you this is the town’s best option and shutting down any meaningful strategy dialogue with which – in turn - to generate meaningful scum-hunting thread data feels like a scum wet dream to me…

Option 2 – no lynch today. Go to 4:2. You must then no lynch day 2 as well. Go to 3:2 and have 3 nights of investigative data to layer on top of in-thread ‘guts’ and use that to make the ‘key’ lynch.

Which gives you better odds of spotting scum at the key 3:2 moment? Well, debating that should at least give you more data to play with either way.

So what do we think about no lynch?

If we do that we shouldn't reveal who we investigated or they just won't kill the investigated player
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads