Mafia CXXXVII: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread Town Victory!

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby dwiltseredu » 18 Feb 2015, 00:49

A Miller (sometimes called an Outsider) is a role or role modifier such that the player passively returns an unfavorable result (i.e. Guilty) if investigated by a Cop.

is that correct?... i googled it because i was curious but in that case i mean sure i can get the understanding as to why someone would do it... say if they have in their role for some reason they would come up guilty if investigated... but what doesnt make sense to me is would bring this concept up just give mafia another whole to hide in...? it just sounds dumb to me unless i aint understanding it correctly...

p.s. i see that a few answered before i could post this...
dwiltseredu

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1119)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Harb » 18 Feb 2015, 00:50

dwiltseredu wrote:not in particular can you explain or something...? i figured miller was just like another name for mafia or something....

A Miller is a townie that shows up as mafia when they're investigated by a cop. So a miller reveal limits the ability of mafia to claim "Oh I'm a Miller!" after the fact if a cop outs a guilty result on them. Since Millers are often told they'll show up as guilty on investigation, if they don't claim early it limits the credibility of their claim. It also helps cops to not waste investigations since there's no reason for someone who won't show up Guilty to claim that they will.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby dwiltseredu » 18 Feb 2015, 00:52

as for i have to get to class so ill be back on tomorrow morning to answer any questions directed towards me and such...
dwiltseredu

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1119)

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 00:54

dwiltseredu wrote:
A Miller (sometimes called an Outsider) is a role or role modifier such that the player passively returns an unfavorable result (i.e. Guilty) if investigated by a Cop.

is that correct?... i googled it because i was curious but in that case i mean sure i can get the understanding as to why someone would do it... say if they have in their role for some reason they would come up guilty if investigated... but what doesnt make sense to me is would bring this concept up just give mafia another whole to hide in...? it just sounds dumb to me unless i aint understanding it correctly...

p.s. i see that a few answered before i could post this...

The mafia don't have another hole to hide in. Anyone not claiming miller, or a role that will come up guilty if investigated day one, will be lynched.

Thus the point in 100% clarity on the subject day 1.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)

Postby Ugluk » 18 Feb 2015, 00:55

One Finger steps onto his front porch, like a contestant in the Hunger Games, and surveys the arrayed townsfolk with squinted eyes. His head throbs dully, a reminder of the three Lemon Drops at the bar the night before. This day had Long written all over it. One after another, his neighbors sounded off with "I confirm I have read the rules." This town has gone to shit. One Finger shakes his head slightly in disdain and pulls out his trusty notepad and a multi-color balloint pen.

"No one forget to do this in your first post!" Blackswimmer shouts at him. Then he opines on role reveals and millers, implicitly denying being a miller. One Finger looks at the head of his pen and finds the red selector before jotting down some notes.

As he clomps down his porch steps, One Finger's referee jersey catches on a railing splinter. No real damage, thankfully. Just a loose thread on his WFTDA patch. He checks his other patches, the last being the mandatory "I <3 CD1", which never failed to remind him of his car's compact disc changer.

dwiltseredu waves to the crowd still in his jeans and "I <3 CD1" T-shirt, soiled from P.E., and rushes over to Blackswimmer, asking what the plan is. Blackswimmer shrugs. One Finger makes more notes in red.

Izzmund, sporting his collared shirt, slacks, and tie, gives a thumbs up to Blackswimmer. One Finger furrows his brow, but switches to black ink before writing "Vote dogpiling?", and adding an unchecked box to the left.

shirt is next on the scene, chiding dwiltseredu for not promoting his own plan. The pen clicks again, and a brief note is jotted down in blue.

Crunkus makes an entrance, with the common declaration, and adds for good measure, "I have no role that would make me appear to be anything that I am not upon any sort of hypothetical accurate investigation." One Finger ponders the breadth of the message, and writes it down. "I have no role that would make me appear to be anything that I am not upon any sort of hypothetical accurate investigation." He underlines "accurate" with a squiggly.

shadowfriend takes proverbial podium, proverbial hair blowing in the proverbial wind. Clearly One Finger has never read Proberbs. She rambles about how blessed we are as a town, but there is no smile in her eyes. She speculates on various aspects, using many placatory words, but saying little. One Finger switches back to black. "Eyes on mayorship," he notes.

"Obvious, but a good point either way," One Finger hears, and his head snaps over to find the voice of dwiltseredu, whose name he writes down in red, circling it twice.

Soon the town descends into finger pointing, name calling, and rehashing of recent dialogue. One Finger takes notes in black while observing the people still standing on their porch, lazy smiles on their quiet faces.
Niakan is a tease.
Ugluk

Standard rating: (1048)
All-game rating: (1028)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 18 Feb 2015, 01:02

I confirm that I have read the rules. I also confirm that I am the greatest sjg to ever walk the earth. Anyone disagree?

Any Millers reveal or sjg will be removing body parts again in the AAR. And nobody wants that to happen. Last time was bad enough. And no I'm not a Miller and, as far as I know, my investigation will be nice and normal.

Looking forward to playing with y'all. This is a fun cast.

shadowfriend1 wrote:
shadowfriend1 wrote:The aspirant will have to scumhunt in reverse, obviously.

Oh, one more thing. This means that scumhunting is not necessarily a town thing to do. The Aspirant will be intensely interested (maybe even more so than townies) in finding out who the mafia are so they can not kill them.
~sf1 8-)

Scumhunting is, however, something all town players should do. Again, anyone not doing it... body parts.. removed... and that's just no fun for anyone.

Blackswimmer wrote:.... Dislike this. Scumhunting is the only way we're going to use the lynch against the scum, as well as get meaningful vote data. What do you suggest we do all day, sit around chatting about sports? Anyway, if you genuinely believe this, surely you'll want to ban all posting, lynch at random, and just play the numbers game? Enlighten me on specifically what you think we should be doing, please.

Yo Blackswimmer, this is not what shadowfriend was saying. No need to get so indignant about this... he's not saying we shouldn't scumhunt just to bear in mind that the Aspirant doesn't know who the other Mafia are so is capable of scumhunting normally... take it from an sjg who's played a sole third-party role a couple of times, scumhunting's easy since you can genuinely do it sincerely.

shirt wrote:I sure do, or requesting the lynch of the top-scumhunter (because 'must be aspirant')
the 'people aren't any good at scumhunting (no offense)' call to say it's useless for town, but needed for aspirant,next to it, really doesn't sit well with me
shadow
And before a 'your votes mean nothing'-accusation comes in.
Yes this is one i also would have made if i didn't try to kickstart scumhunting.
dwilts is my nr2 read atm

Really? Shadowfriend was not saying town shouldn't scumhunt or arguing for the lynch of the top scumhunter. He was just saying the Aspirant can, and likely will, be scumhunting sincerely in the thread since the Aspirant does not know who the two Mafia are. Like how your regular SK can scumhunt sincerely in the thread because he doesn't know anything more than a regular townie.

Keirador wrote:
shadowfriend1 wrote:
shadowfriend1 wrote:The aspirant will have to scumhunt in reverse, obviously.

Oh, one more thing. This means that scumhunting is not necessarily a town thing to do. The Aspirant will be intensely interested (maybe even more so than townies) in finding out who the mafia are so they can not kill them.
~sf1 8-)

Except the Aspirant has no interest in publicly catching scum, remember. The Aspirant wants to publicly appear to scumhunt, but the Aspirant does not want to actually publicly catch scum. Cuz, y'know, we'll lynch them.

This is more sensible... but given how inaccurate our scumhunting tends to be, if I were the Aspirant I would scumhunt just as I would as a normal townie. But then again I know I'm always more willing to axe a teammate for my own personal survival than most anti-town players tend to me.

Crunkus wrote:For the record, I'd like to pause and make on thing clear to the aspirant:

I could very well be mafia. I'm very clever. Don't you dare night kill me. I'll be pissed. Please and thank you.

That is all.

If Crunkus turns out to be Mafia in this game... he's going to mock us in the AAR after he made this statement. Unfortunately he could also be a townie just trying to survive so he can be useful.

PS: HARB, me and you are going to have to have a word about your new avatar.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 01:05

dwiltseredu wrote:as for i have to get to class so ill be back on tomorrow morning to answer any questions directed towards me and such...

Is that your role as you see it? To answer any questions directed toward you and such?

Is that everyone else's role as well?
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Postby dodgy56 » 18 Feb 2015, 01:20

i confirm ive read the rules. at work atm, will give thoughts on goings on when i get home this afternoon.
you never play your hand.
You play the man across from you

The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone else he can blame it on

Drug Cheats mafia now in signups
dodgy56

Standard rating: (833)
All-game rating: (764)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 01:20

sjg11 wrote: I also confirm that I am the greatest sjg to ever walk the earth. Anyone disagree?

sjg11 wrote:
Scumhunting is, however, something all town players should do. Again, anyone not doing it... body parts.. removed... and that's just no fun for anyone.

It should be noted, however, that gangrenous body parts are properly removed, and while not fun, do represent an overall benefit to the prognosis of the amputee.

sjg11 wrote:This is more sensible... but given how inaccurate our scumhunting tends to be, if I were the Aspirant I would scumhunt just as I would as a normal townie. But then again I know I'm always more willing to axe a teammate for my own personal survival than most anti-town players tend to me.

Are we still talking about this? Yawn.

sjg11 wrote:If Crunkus turns out to be Mafia in this game... he's going to mock us in the AAR after he made this statement. Unfortunately he could also be a townie just trying to survive so he can be useful.

I don't understand what you are saying here exactly or why I am going to mock "us" in the AAR as mafia if I made this statement as you see it.

...blah, blah, blah scumhunting is something every townie should do....blah, blah, blah.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 01:25

sjg11, what part would you choose to have removed? You know, if you don't start practicing as you preach?
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads