Mafia CXXXVII: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread Town Victory!

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 00:13

For the record, I'd like to pause and make on thing clear to the aspirant:

I could very well be mafia. I'm very clever. Don't you dare night kill me. I'll be pissed. Please and thank you.

That is all.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old
 
Posts: 17650
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 23:51
Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby istott » 18 Feb 2015, 00:30

I haven't read up yet, but I will confirm I've read the rules.
I have to go to my course now.
If you want me to do something or have a question for me, please be specific. I have Asbergers.
User avatar
istott
 
Posts: 927
Joined: 09 May 2009, 01:47
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby dwiltseredu » 18 Feb 2015, 00:32

Crunkus wrote:
dwiltseredu wrote:
Crunkus wrote:I have no role that would make me appear to be anything that I am not upon any sort of hypothetical accurate investigation.


crunkus i feel this is very open ended because essentially you are saying when investigated you will show up as nothing you are not...

why word this statement so open when in my open it would be better to have a closed end to it so that not many people question it?...


I'm not sure what there is to question.

Do you feel this way about anyone that does not explicitly state in their initial post that they are town?

@ Keirador: How do you feel about the point dwilts brought up?


no i really dont but with you i shld expect it should i with the way you play from games ive read past...

that said let me ask you a question... is there really any point in it?... same goes for keirador here...

There's nothing in my "role" that indicates I wouldn't come up town on investigation.


whats the point?... weather you are mafia or town they are both going to claim town so why bother if we know the outcome in it?...

that said i also like what you did here...

For the record, I'd like to pause and make on thing clear to the aspirant:

I could very well be mafia. I'm very clever. Don't you dare night kill me. I'll be pissed. Please and thank you.

That is all.


if logic is right i think your actually doing the right thing while claiming to be town at the same time you wanna try to look like scum no...? that way aspirant will be less inclined to kill scummy looking players (not saying you are...YET...) and more inclined to lynch the scum who are actually trying to look more towny... smart but risky stratagum in my mind... im not sure if thats what you are actually attempting to do but it could be very bad for us town if you actually are town and you get lynched simply because you look too scummy...

@harb..,.

How is Crunkus' statement open ended in a bad way? What closed-ended way of expressing this same sentiment do you find superior?


as i explained above im not particularly fond of the idea one way or another... however a more closed "i will show up as town if killed or investigated" would be better in my opinion...
User avatar
dwiltseredu
 
Posts: 601
Joined: 29 Sep 2014, 21:16
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1119)
Timezone: GMT

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Harb » 18 Feb 2015, 00:38

shirt wrote:as for why no-one else is interested:
i'd guess the 'do not scumhunt the first couple of pages'-idea probably.
But yes the vote was more to break that, than the idea i actually caught scum already.
Too bad really that you're the one who'se actually hunting at the moment, with harb closely behind it (exactly as expected, therefore nothing to learn there(yet))


Actually, it was because I didn't think there was really a chance you were serious about the issue. I didn't (and don't) see a plausible way to connect a mistake post to being scum. Particularly if you're not sold on the idea that you've caught scum (which feels weird to be saying three pages in). You're treating this as if it should be a serious issue to be discussed, when if you've thought (as you claim to have thought) through other potential explanations for Keir's behavior it's abundantly clear that his mistake post is a null tell. How do you see both potential explanations but not recognize town and scum are equally likely to make this mistake?


shirt wrote:I sure do, or requesting the lynch of the top-scumhunter (because 'must be aspirant')
the 'people aren't any good at scumhunting (no offense)' call to say it's useless for town, but needed for aspirant,next to it, really doesn't sit well with me

I'm going to let shadow come back and explain what she meant before getting further into this.


@dwilt Are you familiar with miller reveals and their purpose?
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
User avatar
Harb
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: 03 May 2012, 15:08
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Keirador » 18 Feb 2015, 00:39

Crunkus wrote:
Keirador wrote:
Crunkus wrote:@ Keirador: How do you feel about the point dwilts brought up?

The "point" that your non-miller claim was too open-ended? I think he, like many players this early, is just grasping at anything. I don't share his concern.


I ask because you essentially copied my statement...and made a change to it...that reflects that perhaps you do prefer clarity in that regard. At least when you're the one making the statement.

You feel me?

I copied you in that I also gave a non-miller reveal. I didn't purposefully set out to paraphrase you, or copy/paste you, or whatever. Just wrote down that I'm not a miller in the clearest way possible. Yeah, I suppose yours was a bit wordy compared to mine. That's pretty standard.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 11217
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby dwiltseredu » 18 Feb 2015, 00:41

@dwilt Are you familiar with miller reveals and their purpose?


not in particular can you explain or something...? i figured miller was just like another name for mafia or something....
User avatar
dwiltseredu
 
Posts: 601
Joined: 29 Sep 2014, 21:16
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1119)
Timezone: GMT

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Keirador » 18 Feb 2015, 00:45

dwilt, the idea is to claim miller or non-miller status upfront, so in the future, if we have a cop who gets a "guilty" on somebody, that person cannot then claim that they are town millers.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 11217
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Keirador » 18 Feb 2015, 00:46

A miller is a generic term for a town-aligned player who does not throw back an "innocent" verdict if investigated. There may or may not be any in this game.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 11217
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 00:46

dwiltseredu wrote:no i really dont but with you i shld expect it should i with the way you play from games ive read past...


I don't understand what you're trying to express here.

dwiltseredu wrote:that said let me ask you a question... is there really any point in it?... same goes for keirador here...


I don't understand your question. Any point to what?

dwiltseredu wrote:
There's nothing in my "role" that indicates I wouldn't come up town on investigation.


whats the point?... weather you are mafia or town they are both going to claim town so why bother if we know the outcome in it?...


You're the one expressing that you find my leaving it open ended odd. How you do find it odd, given you feel this way?

dwiltseredu wrote:if logic is right i think your actually doing the right thing while claiming to be town at the same time you wanna try to look like scum no...? that way aspirant will be less inclined to kill scummy looking players (not saying you are...YET...) and more inclined to lynch the scum who are actually trying to look more towny... smart but risky stratagum in my mind... im not sure if thats what you are actually attempting to do but it could be very bad for us town if you actually are town and you get lynched simply because you look too scummy...


dwilts...try focusing on things that are actually only apparently explainable plausibly in one way. If you are saying I look scummy then say so and explain why you think so. But remember what looking scummy means. By saying I look scummy you are saying that some behaviour I have exhibited is only plausibly explainable by my being scum. If you aren't saying that...I'm not sure what you are intending to say here. Perhaps you could make that more clear to me.

dwiltseredu wrote:@harb..,.

How is Crunkus' statement open ended in a bad way? What closed-ended way of expressing this same sentiment do you find superior?


as i explained above im not particularly fond of the idea one way or another... however a more closed "i will show up as town if killed or investigated" would be better in my opinion...


dwilts, if someone answered one of your questions this way...might you naturally follow up with...

Gee, why would it be better in your opinion?

How about we skip that part for the rest of the game?
(sigh)
Crunkus_old
 
Posts: 17650
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 23:51
Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Crunkus_old » 18 Feb 2015, 00:48

Keirador wrote:I copied you in that I also gave a non-miller reveal. I didn't purposefully set out to paraphrase you, or copy/paste you, or whatever. Just wrote down that I'm not a miller in the clearest way possible. Yeah, I suppose yours was a bit wordy compared to mine. That's pretty standard.


Do you see my point or no?
(sigh)
Crunkus_old
 
Posts: 17650
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 23:51
Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests