Mafia CXXXVII: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread Town Victory!

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Night 0)

Postby Crunkus_old » 17 Feb 2015, 21:16

I confirm I have read the rules
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Crunkus_old » 17 Feb 2015, 21:20

dwiltseredu wrote:so blackswimmer and strategum approach to this game...? you had a brilliant plan last game even though it wasnt utilized...

I'm not sure what game you are referring to, but keep in mind if it is a game in progress, you should not be discussing it.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Re: A Shot in the Dark Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Crunkus_old » 17 Feb 2015, 21:23

I have no role that would make me appear to be anything that I am not upon any sort of hypothetical accurate investigation.
(sigh)
Crunkus_old

Postby Keirador » 17 Feb 2015, 21:51

I already apologized to condude, but sorry again. I got used to Crunkus locking the thread in RPSLS at night, so I just figured if it was possible to post in thread, it must be OK.

There's nothing in my "role" that indicates I wouldn't come up town on investigation.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby shadowface » 17 Feb 2015, 22:27

I confirm I have read the rules :P.

Hi all, this is my first game in a while but I think it will be lots of fun.

Am I the only one who thinks this thing is really town sided? Yes, there are more mafia then regular proportions, but they could so easily shoot themselves (via aspirant). I have observed that people are not great at scum hunting in general (no offense ;) ). The aspirant will have to scumhunt in reverse, obviously. This seems like quite a task, which is why I think that any hidden mechanics would usually benefit the mafia(my guess atleast). For example, I doubt there is another killing role in the game because they would increase the likelyhood of the aspirant dying. This is great for town, but very bad for mafia, thus I think this would disrupt the balance of the game and therefor not have been be included.

More after school,
~Sf1 8-)
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby shadowface » 17 Feb 2015, 22:31

shadowfriend1 wrote:The aspirant will have to scumhunt in reverse, obviously.

Oh, one more thing. This means that scumhunting is not necessarily a town thing to do. The Aspirant will be intensely interested (maybe even more so than townies) in finding out who the mafia are so they can not kill them.
~sf1 8-)
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby dwiltseredu » 17 Feb 2015, 22:35

shirt wrote:keirador
For having communicated N0.
Yes that indeed means,

dwilts: any reason you're not looking for a tactic yourself?

thats what i was pretty much seeing as well i was looking at it since we all had to confirm but i wasnt seeing any huge gashes to where we could maximize town effectiveness -.-... well ill be back on in a couple hours talk to you all then...

right there shirt to answer your question...

For example, I doubt there is another killing role in the game because they would increase the likelyhood of the aspirant dying. This is great for town, but very bad for mafia, thus I think this would disrupt the balance of the game and therefor not have been be included.

obvious but a good point either way and i would say i have to agree with you in this game it is very town sided... that said for the sake of the game it is essentially split into 3 teams from my perspective even though (and correct me if im wrong) that with everything else the aspirant is still considered a mafia member...
dwiltseredu

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1119)
Timezone: GMT

Postby dwiltseredu » 17 Feb 2015, 22:37

Crunkus wrote:I have no role that would make me appear to be anything that I am not upon any sort of hypothetical accurate investigation.

crunkus i feel this is very open ended because essentially you are saying when investigated you will show up as nothing you are not...

why word this statement so open when in my open it would be better to have a closed end to it so that not many people question it?...
dwiltseredu

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1119)

Postby Blackswimmer » 17 Feb 2015, 22:46

Izzmund wrote:I would also suggest that we not have any discussion of how we anticipate the mafia to group/not group in the voting given this twist on the NK, at least D1, maybe even a little longer depending on how the first lynch goes. No need to let them know what we may or may not be looking for.

+1 on this.

shirt wrote:keirador
For having communicated N0.
Yes that indeed means,

Run by me why this is scummy. Also, why is no one else interested in this?

shadowfriend1 wrote:
shadowfriend1 wrote:The aspirant will have to scumhunt in reverse, obviously.

Oh, one more thing. This means that scumhunting is not necessarily a town thing to do. The Aspirant will be intensely interested (maybe even more so than townies) in finding out who the mafia are so they can not kill them.
~sf1 8-)

.... Dislike this. Scumhunting is the only way we're going to use the lynch against the scum, as well as get meaningful vote data. What do you suggest we do all day, sit around chatting about sports? Anyway, if you genuinely believe this, surely you'll want to ban all posting, lynch at random, and just play the numbers game? Enlighten me on specifically what you think we should be doing, please.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Harb » 17 Feb 2015, 22:49

I confirm that I have read the rules.

shadowfriend1 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this thing is really town sided? Yes, there are more mafia then regular proportions, but they could so easily shoot themselves (via aspirant). I have observed that people are not great at scum hunting in general (no offense ;) ). The aspirant will have to scumhunt in reverse, obviously. This seems like quite a task, which is why I think that any hidden mechanics would usually benefit the mafia(my guess atleast).

Why do you feel it's important to share your belief that hidden mechanics, if present, are going to benefit the mafia?

shadowfriend1 wrote:For example, I doubt there is another killing role in the game because they would increase the likelyhood of the aspirant dying. This is great for town, but very bad for mafia, thus I think this would disrupt the balance of the game and therefor not have been be included.

Again, why do you feel this is important to state?

dwiltseredu wrote:crunkus i feel this is very open ended because essentially you are saying when investigated you will show up as nothing you are not...

why word this statement so open when in my open it would be better to have a closed end to it so that not many people question it?...

How is Crunkus' statement open ended in a bad way? What closed-ended way of expressing this same sentiment do you find superior?

PPE:

Blackswimmer wrote:.... Dislike this. Scumhunting is the only way we're going to use the lynch against the scum, as well as get meaningful vote data. What do you suggest we do all day, sit around chatting about sports? Anyway, if you genuinely believe this, surely you'll want to ban all posting, lynch at random, and just play the numbers game? Enlighten me on specifically what you think we should be doing, please.

Do you really think shadow is calling for us not to scumhunt?
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads