Mafia CXXXIV - DoobieFest III -- GAME OVER

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia CXXXIV - DoobieFest III -- GAME OVER

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 31 Dec 2014, 17:23

Link back to rules/signup thread

Link to AAR thread is here

The current Phase -- Day Four -- will end at approximately 12 noon on Monday, January 19th.
Generally speaking, Day/Night Phases may run longer than stated here, as my schedule plays a role in when they end.
All times Central/Chicago time.

Day One Start
- Checkpoint Rooster
- Checkpoint Junkhead
Day One End

Day Two Start
- Checkpoint Geek
- Checkpoint Zero
Day Two End

Day Three Start
- Checkpoint Everlong
- Checkpoint Call
Day Three End

Day Four Start
- Checkpoint Hero
- Checkpoint Wolf
Day Four End

ACTIVE ROSTER:
1 Blackswimmer
2 sjg11 - PEARL JAM - Killed Night Two
3 asudevil - STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - Lynched Day Four
4 Izzmund - NIRVANA - Killed Night Two
5 condude1 - OUR LADY PEACE - Lynched Day Two
6 istott
7 Harb
8 dwiltseredu
9 numa529 - PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - Lynched Day One

It is Night Zero.

All role assignment messages have been sent out.

No night actions are to be submitted or processed during this phase.

There is to be no public communication at this time.
Last edited by Rolan A Doobie on 19 Jan 2015, 20:07, edited 18 times in total.
Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time...
Rolan A Doobie

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Mafia CXXXIV - DoobieFest III -- Day One

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 02 Jan 2015, 20:23

Backstage at Doobiefest III, Chairman Staley calls a meeting to order.

"As you know, my band and I murdered the shit out of Everclear last night. We don't have any idea whether they were loyal to our Brotherhood Of Rock or Sellouts To The Man, and we don't particularly care either way. Their crimes against music were so heinous that they had to die horribly.

That said, we do know that among the nine of you gathered for this meeting, there are two of you that have indeed sold out. This will not stand.

We've left the billions of fans out there waiting long enough, so we're going to go hit the stage. The door will be bolted when we leave, and since they've apparently given up on playing music entirely, we've hired The Police to wait outside and make sure none of you try to escape.

Cleanse the Brotherhood of these sellouts.

And with that, Staley and the rest of Alice In Chains head up to the main stage to get things started.

It is now Day One.

Please note that the first post of this game thread will always have the most recent Day/Night phase listed, along with the time that the current phase is scheduled to end.
Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time...
Rolan A Doobie

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 02 Jan 2015, 20:40

Going out to eat Brazilian Steakhouse

Assuming I don't pass out into a coma...Ill post when I return.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby condude1 » 02 Jan 2015, 20:44

I IR innocent.

Obviously no role reveals.
Band reveals are a no as they give us little info. unless, that is, the mafia have a murder song, in which case we might be able to clear people with no evil sounding songs. I doubt it.

I'm rereading the rules to look for a real talking point.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 02 Jan 2015, 20:48

It's been too long since I had a good game of Mafia to sink my teeth into. Izzmund you think you need a Mafia fix, you've only gone a day without a game. I've gone a month and a half without any action. I've been champing at the bit for this game to start.

First things first, I'm going to quote Cat's initial strategy post from Ladies Night 4 as I think the strategy he outlined there could be useful here in a similar scenario with roles likely to have been in the previous two Doobiefest games:
thewysecat in Ladies Night 4 wrote:Hello everyone

I am fine with 4, but I prefer my answer to 3. And if we implement my version of 3 (see below) we likely don't want to implement 4 to narrow things more than I am already suggesting

I am in favour of limited character name claims in our first posts

Two people (likely) will have to lie.

I want them to commit to their lie in their first post.

A lie that they must stick to all game based on their very first action of the game.

Wyse's Character Name Reveal Format

Q1. Has your character featured in a previous version of a Ladies Night by Rolan? Y/N

Rolan has provided a handy link in the sign up thread to these games. Take care to answer accurately

Rolan A Doobie wrote: This game will include some number of returning characters from previous installments (Ladies Night 1, Ladies Night 2, and Ladies Night 3), as well as the possibility of new characters that haven't appeared in any of the previous games. Returning characters may or may not have different alignments and/or abilities.

My answer: Y

This is where the flow chart forks

Q2a. If you answered Y to Q1. How many letters are there in your character name as per the categories below? A, B, C or D?

A - 1-10 letters
B - 11-12 letters
C - 13-14 letters
D - 15 or more letters

To be clear if your name is Brittany Amazing otherwise known as half-naked girl - I am referring to "Brittany Amazing" not the nickname (unless the nickname is all you have in your role PM)

My answer: Category C

Q2b. If you answered N to Q1. How many letters exactly are there in your character name?

I will at a later time (if it is necessary) explain why I use Q2a & Q2b based on the answer to Q1.

There may also be other iterations of this later, but for now I want everyone on record at game start.

And I want how long someone takes to go on record...to be on record.

If I am scum I dreamt this up N0 with my buddy and have already committed to my lie. However, I am town...and maybe the scum are scrambling to confirm something they may have hoped to leave more ambiguous for longer.

I am waiting

Wyse

This pretty much covers the basic principle of my early game strategy here with some amendments:
1. Instead of Superhero name we use Band name instead. Not song name, the name of the Band your role PM indicates you are. You can't miss it. This should be a fairly obvious amendment.
2. We change the groupings a little bit, Cat's initial groupings for Ladies Night 4 don't quite work here so instead I suggest using these as groupings:
1-7 letters
8-9 letters
10-13 letters
14+ letters
These all lead to fairly even results looking at the old Doobiefest games of bands. The most you'll be narrowing your band to is a 1 in 6 chance of the Sellouts working it out and even then it'll be tough for them to work out your precise role. The information gained by the town and the pressure this plan immediately puts the Sellouts under is more than worth it in my opinion.
Ummm.... I believe that's it for the changes, if anyone has another amendment to propose please slap me on the head.

The advantages to this plan are simple. Firstly it provides an early talking point which gets people to take sides on an issue and to think from a townie perspective right off the bat. Always good, particularly on Day One which is the day and the phase of the game when we are most likely to force the Sellouts to make an error. This is a key phase for the town, get Day One right and our chances of victory increase dramatically.

Secondly it forces the Sellouts to start thinking on their feet now, the quicker we implement it the earlier we can force a Sellout to mess up by making an error and it ties them to something now which they may have to contradict later on in the game if a mass reveal ever becomes necessary.

So to summarise (be sure to pay attention to this part):
1. Has your Band appeared in a previous Doobiefest game (the Game Threads and AARs are linked to in Rolan's rules or you can use the Mafia History to locate it)?
Yes, my Band has appeared in a previous Doobiefest game.
2. If your Band has appeared in a previous Doobiefest game, state which of these four groupings of letters your band has belonged to:
A. Does your Band Name have 1-7 letters?
B. Does your Band Name have 8-9 letters?
C. Does your Band Name have 10-13 letters?
D. Does your Band Name have 14+ letters?

I belong to Pool B.

3. If your Band has not appeared in a previous Doobiefest game, how many letters exactly are in the Band Name?

Personally I see no risk in revealing this information so I'm just going to reveal straight out and I think the sooner we reveal the sooner we can pressure the scum into a potential early error. Still, if you're unsure wait a little, we have enough time for discussion, if we're going to implement this I want it done within the first 24-36 hours of the day.

Now dwilt, I liked your improvement after Day One in Fable 6. This is how I want you to improve here. In this game, I want you to try to explain your gut reads. If your gut feels something that's fine but look back and work out why it's telling you this. If you do this it is so much easier for the town to track and follow your process and it makes you substantially more persuasive to other town players and decreases the chances of us lynching you if you're scum and mislynching you if you're town. I also want you to ask questions if you don't understand what another player is pushing or saying or asking you. Again this makes you so much more useful to the town.

By the way, the maths for the individual groupings:
4-7 letters- 7 Bands
8-9 letters- 6 Bands
10-13 letters- 6 Bands
14+ letters- 6 Bands

I won't give who has what Band at just this moment as it may help the Sellouts to make a fake claim and I want to force them to produce some accountability early on and make them commit to an error right here at the beginning of Day One.

Yeesh, you can tell I've been waiting for another game of Mafia.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sjg11 » 02 Jan 2015, 20:52

condude1 wrote:I IR innocent.

Investigation reveals are necessary. Millers (i.e. townies who look guilty to an investigation) reveal now or forever hold your peace when you're lynched after being investigated.

Obviously no role reveals.

I agree but why not? Humour me, just want to get you on record right off the bat

Band reveals are a no as they give us little info. unless, that is, the mafia have a murder song, in which case we might be able to clear people with no evil sounding songs. I doubt it.

I just provided a talking point. What do you think of a limited band reveal as seen in Ladies Night 4 (also run by Rolan)?
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby condude1 » 02 Jan 2015, 21:00

sjg11 wrote:
condude1 wrote:Obviously no role reveals.

I agree but why not? Humour me, just want to get you on record right off the bat
In this game especially, role reveals are bad. Mafia are given roles too, if my reading of the previous games is correct, meaning the upside for the town is only to be able to coordinate roles, and can't catch mafia in a lie. The mafia, on the other hand, get to pick off docs, cops, etc. leaving us with the dregs to work with as the game goes on.

sjg11 wrote:Band reveals are a no as they give us little info. unless, that is, the mafia have a murder song, in which case we might be able to clear people with no evil sounding songs. I doubt it.

I just provided a talking point. What do you think of a limited band reveal as seen in Ladies Night 4 (also run by Rolan)?

I don't see a major downside, it served us well in LN4, and I like to force scum into a claim early.

I'm doing the partial reveal in a minute, I wanna make sure I'm right first.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby condude1 » 02 Jan 2015, 21:03

My band has been in no previous games.

It has 12 letters.

condude1

Postby condude1 » 02 Jan 2015, 21:05

sjg11 wrote:

In this game especially, role reveals are bad. Mafia are given roles too, if my reading of the previous games is correct, meaning the upside for the town is only to be able to coordinate roles, and can't catch mafia in a lie. The mafia, on the other hand, get to pick off docs, cops, etc. leaving us with the dregs to work with as the game goes on.

sjg11 wrote:Band reveals are a no as they give us little info. unless, that is, the mafia have a murder song, in which case we might be able to clear people with no evil sounding songs. I doubt it.

I just provided a talking point. What do you think of a limited band reveal as seen in Ladies Night 4 (also run by Rolan)?[/quote][/quote]
I don't see a major downside, it served us well in LN4, and I like to force scum into a claim early.

EBWOP, I screwed up the quoting.

condude1

Postby sjg11 » 02 Jan 2015, 21:11

condude1 wrote:
sjg11 wrote:

Good, good, so, in other words, it gives more information to the Mafia than it does to us making it a bad play. I agree. No need to reveal roles early unless you're about to be lynched. That is the only exception. By the way in my next post I'll quote my stuff from the Fable 6 AAR about analysing role reveals. It can't hurt.

[/quote]

EBWOP, I screwed up the quoting.[/quote]
What are the advantages of the partial reveal? Can you think of any disadvantages to the partial reveal? Just to check, can you confirm that your role is not listed in the AARs of either of the previous Doobiefest games?

Yeah I know I'm making you jump through hoops but... it's been so long since I played a game of Mafia.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Next