Cheers a Solo

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Cheers a Solo

Postby Josey Wales » 06 Feb 2021, 07:49

Alright you braggarts, how about you post a pic with your favorite dram and a show of the solo, or solo to be. Yes the latter as this is technically a live game but this one is Gunboat so no chats and well, I will win. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: once the fall move judges, yes, I am a bit cocky here so settle your jets there Pootle.

A most exciting game this one was. OK, now to the rules. Show a pic of a solo (past or present) with your favorite dram and tell a bit of a story on both the game (if you wish) but more important, the drop of your choice.

For me, this was a gunboat game so not a lot of comms nor a huge surprise to anyone waiting on the fall move to see what Italy / Egypt (me) will do. Stomp your ass is what I will do with 21 SC looking for my 22nd and the win. Egyptian paratroopers have flung themselves off the map and are about to take Sev and convoy west to see what all the ballyhoo on Med cruises are all about,

Now to the drop, a lovely whiskey (Big gun would approve). It is a 2016 Whiskey of the Year winner. Made with 100% Canadian Rye gives a subtle sharpness with a hit of sweetness touched by notes of spiced vanilla, soft pepper and my mothers baked apple pie (yes, I do taste that in my drink). It is so delightful and daring, one can sip away either neat, on the rocks or as Big Gun likes it "slap a nipple on the bottle and let-r-rip!!!" The bottle you ask, "Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye".

Back to the game, I suck at gunboat so obviously, when offered an opportunity to prolong my demise, why not join a 7/7/7 game (no weekends). I have watched civilizations rise and fall faster. Great game, great partnerships and a fantastic stab (me on France) which only took 9 months (real time) to achieve.

Let's see your best/favorite/who-hum but I got drunk solo image. Top 20 players here MUST apply or be shot on sight at the next F2F or even worse, have your PlayDip membership cancelled ... using a Nerf gun of course before anyone thinks to report me to the constabulatory.

If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Platinum Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 1135
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Cheers a Solo

Postby Audacia » 06 Feb 2021, 16:06

Cheers to your solo. I'll raise my glass to your success. But as I've not yet solo'd, I'll need to wait to share a snap of my whisky and my solo.

Great thread. I'm looking forward to more substantive replies than mine LOL.
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fatmo » 08 Feb 2021, 08:55

Marking this thread.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby Big Gun » 08 Feb 2021, 20:07

Great idea Josey Wales! Soloing gives you bragging rights and as a fellow bighead, I’ll join this thread with a victory and a tipple of my own.

First to the game. Look at all those beautiful dark blue and magnificent minty green provinces spread across almost the entire northern half of the board, save for an insignificant splodge of pink in Clyde. Yep – I was France and Sweden in this match and it was my 39th ranked Versailles solo on this site, justifying my undisputed title as the King of Versailles and the only player with a rating of more than 2000 for this variant.

The liquid gold in my tasting glass is an Ardbeg single malt scotch whisky from a remote Scottish island called Islay, situated ironically just off the shores of Clyde. Ardbeg is well known amongst malt aficionados as a heavily peated dram that packs a smoky punch. This expression is a recent release called Wee Beastie, aged 5 years old and bottled at 47.4% alcohol. It’s one worth swirling around the glass and sniffing languishingly between the legs before dipping your tongue into the ecstasy and sipping slowly. The nose is sweet, rich and tingling with lots of peatbog, citrus and hints of your granny’s spit on that handkerchief she used to wash your face with.

Back to the game, 6 willing victims followed my invitation including such stars as Strategus, Charleroi, Starkadder, Woolgie and the ever-incorrigible Josey Wales. I don’t particular like allying with any of them! So it was the newcomer Icecream Guy who proved to be a most excellent ally and ordered more or less everything I requested from start to finish. He played as Italy and Spain and we swept the board from West to East. Or perhaps that’s not quite the truth, I swept up the centres and he picked up a few bits of the debris. Not even Stuff Happens could stop me as I slowly picked off my neighbours one by one, first Germany, then Britain, then Poland and finally a lunge at the Soviet Union before stabbing my buddy Icecream for five centres. In the end he still came in second place so I really didn’t feel bad about it.

Looking back over the game, it was a very subtle and long-term seduction, unlike the Wee Beastie Ardbeg, which has nothing subtle about it at all. In Diplomacy, patience is essential. When drinking malt scotch, don’t allow patience to slow you down. Drink up and pour another! It’s a monster of a dram, mouth-coating and thoroughly satisfying with a gunpowder finish, which pounds your ribcage like King Kong.

A very fitting dram to celebrate yet another Big Gun victory in Versailles. Cheers!

Last edited by Big Gun on 08 Feb 2021, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Big Gun

Standard rating: 1492
All-game rating: 2126
Timezone: GMT

Postby Big Gun » 08 Feb 2021, 20:11

Looks like my dram has been cut down to size by the PlayDip editors. Never mind, I'm not sharing a drop of the stuff anyway.

Audacia - your day to solo will come. Patience and perseverance! Jack007 is convinced that you are a reincarnation of me anyway, maybe because we both speak Deutsch.

Fatmo - how about one of your success stories? After all, you're the only player who's ever painted every province of the map in Turkish turquoise. That's gotta be worth showing off with a nice, fat dram?

Cheers all.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Postby Big Gun » 08 Feb 2021, 20:24

The mobile version shows my glass! Prost!
Big Gun

Postby Josey Wales » 09 Feb 2021, 01:15

I must lodge a formal protest over Big Gun having 3 minors in that game. It isn't enough he is a Versailles aficionado but brings in a n00b that served as his lackey all game, ppphhhht and pshaw my good sir! An asterisk by the solo in this game. All kidding aside, well done by you in that game Big Gun. I warned your lackey you were about to drive a fence post up his , ... ahem , but he wouldn't listen.

My granny's spit indeed, that made me laugh out loud. I must try that delightful drop after such an impassioned dissertation.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Platinum Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 1135

Postby DirtyHarry » 11 Feb 2021, 03:41

I rarely solo, so I'm fairly proud of this German solo in GunBoat. GunBoat is hard, but I guess I'm getting better at it.

As I've gotten older I've switched to mostly red wine, so tonight's Cabernet is in the foreground.

DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1356
All-game rating: 1427
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Big Gun » 12 Feb 2021, 00:05

That's a solid solo position, well played! The wine looks tasty. Nice to see you in this thread, Harry.
Big Gun

Postby DirtyHarry » 12 Feb 2021, 02:08

Thanks Big Gun!
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1356