Play dip the best?

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Play dip the best?

Postby MisterPlant » 07 Dec 2020, 13:05

Greetings fellow play dip users.until recently,I’ve only ever played diplomacy online on this site,but signed to another site on an invite to play a Team tournament.
I have to say like for like -for me-play dip wins hands down for graphics,order processing,game choices,general user friendliness, you name it..and no,I’m not on the payroll,lol.
That prompted an idle look at a couple of other diplomacy websites,that also seemed pretty lacking compared to play dip.
My experience of other sites is as stated,pretty limited and I just wondered what’s the general verdict on other sites by playdippers who for want of a better phrase-play around?
MisterPlant
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1638
All-game rating: 1785
Timezone: GMT

Re: Play dip the best?

Postby Malarky » 07 Dec 2020, 13:33

I guess it depends what you're looking for but, for me, Playdip is the most enjoyable site to play on but I think there's room for all the sites out there. The only thing I'd moan about graphic-wise is the WitA variant, where I've come across a problem with some of the mainland spaces being too small to work out if you're already occupying them or not. But that's a minor thing and can be circumvented. It's a shame though. I'd like to see something happen with the storing of old games, too. I get the issue with server space but it's a shame that you can't go back to older games to see exactly what happened again.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)

Postby V » 07 Dec 2020, 13:37

I spent 2019 playing on WebDip. The maps are poor & I found the community less welcoming compared to PlayDip, but otherwise it was a good year of Diplomacy.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Custer » 07 Dec 2020, 15:28

Mister Plant are you familiar with the Shropshire Slasher?

:lol:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 1135
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Audacia » 07 Dec 2020, 15:49

I don't know if other sites have this challenge, but I dropped into my first live game last night (England had not moved yet, surrendering right after the game started). I just managed to get fall 1902 orders in. I find the orders/message mechanism too slow for 15 minutes turns. Discord would have been really sweet for messaging. Perhaps slight longer time for live turns (20 minute turns). But I've not shopped around to other sites, so I'm just offering a helpful criticism. I literally parked in a chair next to my home server for better response, but it was quite slow.
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 07 Dec 2020, 16:29

Webdip is poor on graphics, but veey quick on order processing (instant), whereas playdip takes a few minutes to render the new image. Thus 15 min turns on playdip take a bit longer. On Webdip, you can play with 5 min deadlines for a more pacy game without the waiting for the turn to process. Playdip is my favourite, but I do play a bit on webdip and enjoy it. There are also alternative maps on either site, so you can get more variants by playing on both. Webdip has an American Empire map (North America plus Peru), which I especially enjoy, as it is fairly well balanced, and there is also a 17 player world map.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1770

Postby AnMaRi20 » 07 Dec 2020, 19:02

I agree with all the comments posted here and add 1 of my own. I really do prefer Playdip over Webdip, especially but not only on account of the better graphics. My one gripe about Playdip is having to log out and log on again every few minutes if I want access the Forum or write a PM. Or does anyone have a solution for that which works?
Silver Classicist and an Oldie

"Eh bien, mon prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now no more than private estates of the Bonaparte family." (Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace).
AnMaRi20
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1234)
All-game rating: (1343)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Strategus » 07 Dec 2020, 19:52

AnMaRi20 wrote:I agree with all the comments posted here and add 1 of my own. I really do prefer Playdip over Webdip, especially but not only on account of the better graphics. My one gripe about Playdip is having to log out and log on again every few minutes if I want access the Forum or write a PM. Or does anyone have a solution for that which works?

I don't have to do that?

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus

Postby Strategus » 07 Dec 2020, 20:01

Strategus wrote:
AnMaRi20 wrote:I agree with all the comments posted here and add 1 of my own. I really do prefer Playdip over Webdip, especially but not only on account of the better graphics. My one gripe about Playdip is having to log out and log on again every few minutes if I want access the Forum or write a PM. Or does anyone have a solution for that which works?

I don't have to do that?

Can you explain what happens?

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus

Postby AnMaRi20 » 07 Dec 2020, 20:25

Sure, like just now, in order to write this response I have to log back into the forum. But it doesn’t accept my credentials, so I have to log off the whole site, log back in, then quickly write my message before the forum logs me off again. It's a pain.
Silver Classicist and an Oldie

"Eh bien, mon prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now no more than private estates of the Bonaparte family." (Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace).
AnMaRi20
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1234)
All-game rating: (1343)
Timezone: GMT+1

Next

Return to Diplomacy Lore