Mixing up

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Mixing up

Postby Aurelin » 07 Aug 2018, 23:42

How do you avoid mixing games up? I sign off my messages with my country name (usually France) and I’ve messed up so many times. In a game I was France, I signed off as Russia in a message TO Russia (yes, I’m that stupid) and a game where I’m England, I accidentally signed off as France four times. I guess making benign mistakes can make you seem more trustworthy (studies show that people trust clumsy people more) but it is kind of annoying. How do I stop doing this?
Silver Classicist
Aurelin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1016
All-game rating: 985
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Mixing up

Postby V » 08 Aug 2018, 01:10

One idea I’ve used with success. Use a different system to sign off in each game. For instance in one use country name. In another use national capital. In a third use title of national leader. In a fourth use a national nickname etc.
If your previous message signed of as “Paris” & maybe the recipient even replied to “Dear Paris” it’s less likely you will accidentally sign off as “Italy” by mistake. Equally if you are signing off as “Kaiser” in a game, it’s unlikely you’ll accidentally sign off as “Vienna”.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby asudevil » 08 Aug 2018, 03:34

Don't sign off
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby edmgrim » 08 Aug 2018, 04:35

Since I am one of the people you have done this to, I'll just add a couple of my "tricks"

1: Assume a personality (at least at the start). That will help you focus on your country

2: Keep a sense of the orders you are planning (or trying to convince the person with whom you are communicating) in mind.

My biggest problem is I get some countries confused even though they are often in completely different regions. I transpose Venice/Vienna, Bulgaria/Budapest, Balkans/Baltic, Trieste/Tyrrhenian/Tyrolia. Once I got St Pet and Sev mixed up. See a pattern?
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 08 Aug 2018, 13:40

2: Keep a sense of the orders you are planning (or trying to convince the person with whom you are communicating) in mind.

Yes. I agree... I use to do the same thing.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby mjparrett » 08 Aug 2018, 15:00

Well if it isn't an anon game, I sign off as "Mike". Now unless you also happened to be called Mike I don't suggest you use this tactic, but I'm sure you get the point :) Even if it is an anon game I sometimes do this to be honest, as I'm never bothered about trying to hide identity etc. But just a simple "Thanks" or "Thoughts?" without any named sign off stops this happening pretty quickly

Steve
(only joking)
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1512
All-game rating: 1550
Timezone: GMT

Postby Aurelin » 08 Aug 2018, 16:11

mjparrett wrote:Well if it isn't an anon game, I sign off as "Mike". Now unless you also happened to be called Mike I don't suggest you use this tactic, but I'm sure you get the point :) Even if it is an anon game I sometimes do this to be honest, as I'm never bothered about trying to hide identity etc. But just a simple "Thanks" or "Thoughts?" without any named sign off stops this happening pretty quickly

Steve
(only joking)

:D :D
Silver Classicist
Aurelin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1016
All-game rating: 985
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Lore