Mixing up

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Mixing up

Postby Aurelia1 » 07 Aug 2018, 23:42

How do you avoid mixing games up? I sign off my messages with my country name (usually France) and I’ve messed up so many times. In a game I was France, I signed off as Russia in a message TO Russia (yes, I’m that stupid) and a game where I’m England, I accidentally signed off as France four times. I guess making benign mistakes can make you seem more trustworthy (studies show that people trust clumsy people more) but it is kind of annoying. How do I stop doing this?
Silver Classicist

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1016
All-game rating: 982
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Mixing up

Postby V » 08 Aug 2018, 01:10

One idea I’ve used with success. Use a different system to sign off in each game. For instance in one use country name. In another use national capital. In a third use title of national leader. In a fourth use a national nickname etc.
If your previous message signed of as “Paris” & maybe the recipient even replied to “Dear Paris” it’s less likely you will accidentally sign off as “Italy” by mistake. Equally if you are signing off as “Kaiser” in a game, it’s unlikely you’ll accidentally sign off as “Vienna”.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1677)
All-game rating: (1704)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 08 Aug 2018, 03:34

Don't sign off
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby edmgrim » 08 Aug 2018, 04:35

Since I am one of the people you have done this to, I'll just add a couple of my "tricks"

1: Assume a personality (at least at the start). That will help you focus on your country

2: Keep a sense of the orders you are planning (or trying to convince the person with whom you are communicating) in mind.

My biggest problem is I get some countries confused even though they are often in completely different regions. I transpose Venice/Vienna, Bulgaria/Budapest, Balkans/Baltic, Trieste/Tyrrhenian/Tyrolia. Once I got St Pet and Sev mixed up. See a pattern?
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 08 Aug 2018, 13:40

2: Keep a sense of the orders you are planning (or trying to convince the person with whom you are communicating) in mind.

Yes. I agree... I use to do the same thing.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Congo in African 5!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1063
All-game rating: 1179
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby mjparrett » 08 Aug 2018, 15:00

Well if it isn't an anon game, I sign off as "Mike". Now unless you also happened to be called Mike I don't suggest you use this tactic, but I'm sure you get the point :) Even if it is an anon game I sometimes do this to be honest, as I'm never bothered about trying to hide identity etc. But just a simple "Thanks" or "Thoughts?" without any named sign off stops this happening pretty quickly

Steve
(only joking)
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1580
All-game rating: 1622
Timezone: GMT

Postby Aurelia1 » 08 Aug 2018, 16:11

mjparrett wrote:Well if it isn't an anon game, I sign off as "Mike". Now unless you also happened to be called Mike I don't suggest you use this tactic, but I'm sure you get the point :) Even if it is an anon game I sometimes do this to be honest, as I'm never bothered about trying to hide identity etc. But just a simple "Thanks" or "Thoughts?" without any named sign off stops this happening pretty quickly

Steve
(only joking)

:D :D
Silver Classicist

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1016
All-game rating: 982
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Lore