Guilt from stabbing

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Guilt from stabbing

Postby Crisu » 27 Nov 2008, 08:51

Do you feel it? If so, how long does it last?

Or does that clearly label me as a newbie to even think that?

A friend has told me: think of the other players just as countries, not people. It's merely the way you play the game. I would hope that no friendships or marriages have ever been broken over a game of Diplomacy.

But I'm generally too nice of a person. If someone has helped me greatly in a game, and I find this huuuge opening to stab and take him down, I just can't bring myself to do it.

I -have- stabbed before (to lesser degrees). And in those situations, once that country is off the map, I tend to forget that I was partly or fully responsible for it. x.x

So maybe I overthink it and just need to stab more (without doing it chronically)? Is stabbing something that gets easier the more you do it?
I like gunboat. I dislike public-press. I'm too busy for live games, sorry. :(
Visit: MyAnimeList, Borderline Hikikomori, AnimeBlogger Antenna, Saimoe League
Crisu

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Guilt from stabbing

Postby Diplomat » 27 Nov 2008, 09:11

First, you need to define what a stab is to you. It is commonly accepted that a stab requires that you are a trusted ally of the victim, which itself would indicate that you had worked with that person to develop that relationship in the game. I generally don't consider any betrayal in 1901 and very few in 1902 as stabs, there is just no history of trust. Yeah they attacked you, maybe you died, but if you left yourself open in the first moves of the game then you deserve it. Also a stab is generally not taking 1 center, unless that is a crippling blow to you for some reason. A stab should be a sudden move that cripples your opponent and enhances your own chances of winning the game, or wins you the game. A 3 center stab is generally a huge event and massively changes the fate of most players on the board. There could be devastating stabs that occur with fewer centers changing hands, ones that prevent new key builds, or split someone's forces, but those are clearly situational and beyond the scope of my post here.

After you have determined what you consider stabbing to be, and if you agree with my description above, then you recognize that you are potentially putting someone out of the game when you stab.

I generally don't like to stab and, honestly, it does usually make be feel guilty to some extent. I will often apologize to players I have stabbed, explaining my reasoning, and I generally don't do it for points. I've always been content to 'win' with a good ally rather than stab. Most of the time if I stab it is because I have a prior agreement and I am put into a situation where I can't keep 2 agreements any longer, or the situation on the board changes in some huge fashion and the victim does not 'change' with the board. I will occasionally 'stab' a player in a game if they are chronically late on moves, turns, or rude and obnoxious and I'm tired of dealing with them, but in those cases I generally regret attempting to ally with them more than the stab itself so it works out.

In short, yeah I feel guilty, and its ok if you do as well. I mean we all play the game to have fun and you just made someone's day WAY LESS fun when they see what you just unloaded on them.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby CJ 92 » 27 Nov 2008, 09:56

:idea:
Last edited by CJ 92 on 28 Nov 2008, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
CJ 92 wrote:So am I. Oh hold me tight Diplomat, my dear temee.

ファンキーな音楽再生はホワイトの少年
CJ 92

Timezone: GMT

Postby Stander » 27 Nov 2008, 16:07

Like diplomat, I too don't go in for the pointless stab - it has to be worthwile. Otherwise you just get a reputation as being untrustworthy. People tend to forget that this game isn't about lying. It's actually about telling the truth, well it is if you are a good player.

I do also tend to apologise to the stabee. Good manners cost nothing, even if you are twisting the knife, it's polite to smile at the same time. and they might not hate me so much in the next game we meet in.

:D
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

Postby Dar Krum » 27 Nov 2008, 18:41

Guilt about stabbing? I'd like to hear from my good buddy Spitfire on that one...

Really, there should be no guilt. They left themselves open. They had it coming. Really, they shouldn't have been wearing that dress in that neighbourhood....
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Spitfire » 27 Nov 2008, 19:08

Oh, and what are we insuniating DK? :P
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Postby CJ 92 » 27 Nov 2008, 19:16

Last edited by CJ 92 on 28 Nov 2008, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

ファンキーな音楽再生はホワイトの少年
CJ 92

Postby Dar Krum » 27 Nov 2008, 21:00

CJ 92 wrote:Are you a droogie of mine DK? We could go get some vellocet milk plus later.
8-)

DK says, "Pardon?"
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Spitfire » 27 Nov 2008, 21:01

But doesnt answer Spitfire???? :shock: :cry:
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Postby CJ 92 » 27 Nov 2008, 21:10

Last edited by CJ 92 on 28 Nov 2008, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

ファンキーな音楽再生はホワイトの少年
CJ 92

Next

Return to Diplomacy Lore