Naming the Alliances

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Naming the Alliances

Postby Mr.E » 10 Mar 2019, 13:38

So, yeah, I can be a nerd, but I was thinking a little more about how the hobby loves to name things, and I wanted to look at naming the alliances. Some are already named, but I thought it would be (well, I want to say fun but I'm not sure) to name all the 2-player alliances.

ENGLAND and...
France: The Entente (or Entente Cordiale, if you want) - from the pre-WWI treaty.
Italy: The Hadrian - from the wall the Roman emperor Hadrian had built to keep the Picts out of Roman Britain.
Germany: The Saxon - from one group of people who came over to England from Germany during and after the Roman occupation.
Austria: The Castlereagh - from the name of the British Foreign Secretary that helped Metternich create the Congress 'System' in the post-Napoleonic era (The Metternich, if you prefer).
Turkey: The Witches - from the idea that England is the Witch of the West (North), and Turkey the Wicked Witch of the East (South), both being 'corner' powers.
Russia: The Anglonaut - based on alliances with Russia being the "somethingnaut".

FRANCE and...
Italy: The Napoleon - from both Napoleon's and Louis Napoleon's successful invasions of Italy.
Germany: The Rhineland - from the area of Europe both powers have liked to claim ownership of in the past.
Austria: The Marie Antoinette - from Louis XVI's wife, from the Habsburg Empire that became Austria-Hungary.
Turkey: The Mediterranean - from the fact that this is to share dominance of the south or the board.
Russia: The Franconaut - based on alliances with Russia being the "somethingnaut".

ITALY and...
Germany: The Pact of Steel - based on the alliance of the same name between the two prior to WWII.
Austria: The Dalmatian - based on the area that both liked to think of as their's in times past.
Turkey: The Unholy Alliance - based on an alliance between Catholicism and Islam...
Russia: The Wintergreen - a pre-named alliance.

GERMANY and...
Austria: The Dual Alliance - the actual name of the pre-WWI alliance between the two powers.
Turkey: The Railroad - pre-WWI Germany signed a treaty with the Ottoman Empire to build railways extending the route of the Orient Express.
Russia: The Prussian: Named for one of the non-SC spaces that are usually DMZed in this alliance, which just happens to be the name of the pre-eminent German state that united Germany.

AUSTRIA and...
Turkey: The Balkan - from the fact that this is aimed at splitting the Balkans between the two.
Russia: The Austronaut - based on alliances with Russia being the "somethingnaut".

TURKEY and...
Russia: The Juggernaut - wait: really? You didn't know?

Some of these are a little tentative, I know. If you have alternatives, post them below.
Last edited by Mr.E on 17 Mar 2019, 12:20, edited 2 times in total.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 974
All-game rating: 974
Timezone: GMT

Re: Naming the Alliances

Postby David E. Cohen » 10 Mar 2019, 14:40

This is so incomplete. You didn't ascribe names to any of the 3 Power alliances. :roll: :lol:
The credit belongs to the man... who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
David E. Cohen

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

And now the Triples

Postby Mr.E » 10 Mar 2019, 14:56

Not all triple alliances are worth naming as they're unlikely to emerge, but here goes...

ENGLAND, FRANCE and...
Italy: The Spaghetti Western - because I like it.
Germany: The Western Triple - because it is.
Austria: The Faerie - as with all that don't have a usable name, really, this is made up from the initials of the powers. And, as this is a less than believable alliance, it seemed about right.
Turkey: The Crimean - the alliance that went to war against Russia in the Crimean War.
Russia: The Triple Entente - basic WWI history.

ENGLAND, ITALY and...
Germany: The Guillotine - because it is death to France.
Austria: The Aegis - formed from the initials A, E, I being found in a cool word.
Turkey: The Maritime - because all three powers will base their strength on fleets.
Russia: The Oktoberfest - because Germany is in danger.

ENGLAND, GERMANY and...
Austria: The Germanic Triple - because all three powers are linked, historically, in some way, to German peoples.
Turkey: Russia's Bane - because Russia is the target.
Russia: The Northern Triple - because it is.

ENGLAND, AUSTRIA and...
Turkey: The Scimitar - because the slight curve between these capitols brings to mind the shape of this sword... sort of.
Russia: The Drucken - because if these three ally, Germany is completely unsafe in the long run; German for 'press'.

ENGLAND, TURKEY and...
Russia: The Eastern Arc - because of the shape of the alliance around the board.

FRANCE, ITALY and...
Germany: The Swiss Star - because this is based around Switzerland.
Austria: The Garanzia - Italian for 'guarantee' or 'safety' because Italy is ultimately protected by this alliance.
Turkey: The Southern Triple - because it is.
Russia: The Vice - there is no area of the board that can't be squeezed.

FRANCE, GERMANY and...
Austria: The Alsatian - The Alsatian - in 1793, the forces of Republican France defeated Austro-Prussian forces and allowed the French cede Alsace.
Turkey: The Graft - because Turkey has been grafted on to the Franco-German alliance... and because it takes graft (hard work) to make it work... as well as incorporating the initials G, F, T.
Russia: The GOT (German Ocean Triple) - because England is a gonner, and the North Sea's alternative name in the German Ocean.

FRANCE, AUSTRIA and...
Turkey: The Schiacciare - Italian for 'crush' - because Italy's, well, crushed.
Russia: The Austerlitz - named after the battle which saw Napoleon defeat Austria and Russia, leading the the treaty between Austria and France, and Russian withdrawal from the Napoleonic Wars at that time.

FRANCE, TURKEY and...
Russia: The Bridge - because it unites the Juggernaut with France, the power least to fear from the Juggernaut.

ITALY, GERMANY and...
Austria: The Central Triple - because it is.
Turkey: The Vienna Sandwich - because Austria is crushed between the three.
Russia: The Hatchet - because it cuts the board in two, giving the three the chance to eliminate all other opposition on either side.

ITALY, AUSTRIA and...
Turkey: Il Greco - because it will usually start with the agreed Italian occupation of Greece.
Russia: The Gobbler - because Turkey is the target.

ITALY, TURKEY and...
Russia: The Southern Arc - because of the shape of the alliance around the board.

GERMANY, AUSTRIA and...
Turkey: Grater - because Russia is run over a grater and shredded - and from the initials G, A, T.
Russia: The Dreikaiserbund - the 'League of Three Emperors', the name given to this alliance in post-Napoleonic Europe.

GERMANY, TURKEY and...
Russia: The Wedge - from the shape: Germany is the point of the wedge.

AUSTRIA, TURKEY and...
Russia: The Eastern Triple - because it is.
Last edited by Mr.E on 17 Mar 2019, 13:46, edited 6 times in total.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Postby Mr.E » 10 Mar 2019, 14:57

David E. Cohen wrote:This is so incomplete. You didn't ascribe names to any of the 3 Power alliances. :roll: :lol:

Wow. Quick off the mark, Dave ;)
Mr.E
Premium Member

Postby Strategus » 10 Mar 2019, 15:34

Germany Austria is the Anschluss, I believe. There is an article on these somewhere. And my invention for FIE is the Spaghetti Western.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1624
All-game rating: 1775

Postby WarSmith » 10 Mar 2019, 19:49

Napolean’s second wife did indeed come from Austria, but was called Marie Louise.
Marie Antoinette (let them eat cake!) was the wife of Louis XVI.
They were both Hapsburg archduchesses, and closely related - There’s a couple of generations between the two though!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1681
All-game rating: 1700
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Elric Hazard » 10 Mar 2019, 20:25

France, Italy, and Germany is the Swiss Star
https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4043
The history of civilized man is but the history of his misery. All the pages of it are stained with blood. - Abbé Raynal 1781
Elric Hazard

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1215
All-game rating: 1213
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Mr.E » 11 Mar 2019, 10:13

I like Spaghetti Western. Will use that, I think. Hate the Anschluss. With a perfectly usable 2-power alliance name for G/A from the era, why go for a WWII name?

Swiss Star - I forgot about that. That has to be used!

And embarrassed apologies for mixing the Habsburg Maries up. I knew there was something off but, with Napoleon on my mind, put him instead of Louis XVI. Corrections coming.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Postby Mr.E » 17 Mar 2019, 13:46

Not to be overly anal, but I've changed some alliance names that I wasn't overly happy with. All are listed below.

England and Austria: The Ostend - during the Seven Years War, England and Austria (or the Habsburg Empire) allied, and Austria suspended it's overseas colonisation through the Ostend Company (previously, the 'Castlereagh).

France and Italy: The Napoleon - from both Napoleon's and Louis Napoleon's successful invasions of Italy (previously 'The Bonaparte'; changed because only the original was commonly known as Bonaparte).

Germany and Russia: The Prussian: Named for one of the non-SC spaces that are usually DMZed in this alliance, which just happens to be the name of the pre-eminent German state that united Germany (previously 'The Ribbentrop'; changed because I like the new name better).

England, Italy and Austria: The Aegis - formed from the initials A, E, I being found in a cool word (previously the highly unsatisfactory 'Isosceles').

England, Italy and Russia: The Verbrennung - very tentative: I used the initials I, R, E to form 'ire', changed this to 'fire' as someone whose ire has been raised might be 'fuming', and took the German for 'burning' as the name because it sounded good (previously the 'Oktoberfest').

France, Italy and Austria: The Garanzia - Italian for 'guarantee' or 'safety' because Italy is ultimately protected by this alliance (previously the 'Maghreb').

France, Germany and Austria: The Alsatian - in 1793, the forces of Republican France defeated Austro-Prussian forces and allowed the French cede Alsace (previously the 'Munchen').

France, Germany and Turkey: The Graft - because Turkey has been grafted on to the Franco-German alliance... and because it takes graft (hard work) to make it work... as well as incorporating the initials G, F, T (previously the 'Scalene').

France, Austria and Russia: The Austerlitz - named after the battle which saw Napoleon defeat Austria and Russia, leading the the treaty between Austria and France, and Russian withdrawal from the Napoleonic Wars at that time (previously the 'Squeeze').

Germany, Austria and Turkey: The Grater - because Russia is run over a grater and shredded - and from the initials G, A, T (previously the 'Bear').
Mr.E
Premium Member

Return to Diplomacy Lore