The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Back in signups

Looking for a game to sign up for? Come here.
Games in development, sign-ups, or just awaiting launch.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Back in signups

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2021, 22:11

The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia

This game is based on the most heinous crime in Canadian history: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist. If you wonder why maple syrup is so expensive, you now know who to blame. Some criminals show no mercy, and have no respect even for the sacred. Though perhaps justice will prevail... do we dare imagine that world, a world with affordable maple syrup...?

Rules:

• This game will be hosted on Discord to accommodate its complex communications mechanics, as Telephone Mafia was.
  • 11 players are maple syrup producers, part of La Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec (The Federation)
    3 players are Investigators, trying to uncover the cartel conspiracy. They are disguised as maple syrup producers and their identities hidden.
  • The Federation wins if it can form, and successfully cast a vote with, a conspiracy that includes all of the 11 members of the Federation and exclusively those players.
    The Investigators win if they hold a majority of the (not exiled) players in the town of Saint-Louis-de-Blandford.
    The Federation victory naturally resolves before the Investigator victory if they occur by the same action.
  • There are no player eliminations in this game. However, in the day, the town gets to vote to exile one person from Saint-Louis-de-Blandford. The player is exiled by being chased by a flood of maple syrup, pursuing them with a vengeance as though part of the great molasses flood. Maple syrup can be surprisingly dangerous.
  • An exiled player can still join conspiracies and communicate with any other players, but they have no active abilities and their votes are only nominal. That is to say, they must be correctly attached to the conspiracy The Federation wishes to use to win. Their vote, however, does not count towards the numerical power of the conspiracy.
  • The faction of an exiled player is not revealed upon exile. Moreover, it is not public knowledge who was exiled on any given day, though the player who was exiled is informed of their own fate.

Conspiracies
  • The communications in this game are all done through conspiracies. The Federation loves forming sneaky, secret monopolies, and this is how they make their decisions. A conspiracy in this game exists as a private channel in the discord. Everyone will be able to make new channels, so anyone can start a conspiracy and add whoever they want at any point. Any channel between at least two people is a conspiracy.
    *A lot of the detailed functionality of the communications will be determined by what is feasible on discord so expect a rules update closer to the start of the game.
  • No screenshotting or copy/pasting from chats. Paraphrasing is fine.

Voting
In addition to communications, conspiracies are how players vote.
  • All votes in this game are cast through secret ballot to the GM. A vote must contain two components:
    1. The player being voted for exile
    2. The conspiracy the vote is being cast with (by the name of conspiracy's discord chat)
  • The conspiracy that receives the most valid votes from non-exiled players will determine who is exiled. To be clear, multiple small conspiracies targeting the same player do not add together. For example, if a 4 player conspiracy votes to kill condude, and two 3 player conspiracies vote to kill stupidface, condude will be exiled.
  • A player must vote through a conspiracy, and a player can only submit one vote ballot per day. A vote only counts if all members of the conspiracy secretly vote for that player with that conspiracy, including any exiled players who are part of it. Assuming the conspiracy successfully casts their votes, their votes count collectively towards their target.
  • Feel free to send me preliminary votes: I will accept changes in votes up until the posted deadline. This game will have no overtime.
  • An exiled player can still join conspiracies. However, their vote does not count for anything numerical, but it can still ruin an otherwise successful conspiracy if they do not submit a compatible ballot to enable it.

Investigators
  • Investigators know each other's identities and always have private comms.
  • Each night the Investigators can collectively choose one person to exile. They don't chase them out of town with a flood of maple syrup, they simply wield the hammer of justice and charge them with Conspiracy to Price Fix Maple Syrup. Once convicted of this crime, they are in jail so they are exiled. Just like someone exiled by the town, their votes do not have weight but still must be attached to a Federation-winning conspiracy. It is not public knowledge who is exiled at night but the exiled player will be informed.
  • Each Investigator has a unique special ability. If an Investigator is exiled they can no longer use their ability.

Mechanical and/or obvious rules
  • Ties will be resolved by cointoss.
  • Players cannot vote to end the day early.
  • Don't call the GM a C O W A R D.
  • 72 hour days, 24 to 48 hour nights depending on the game state.
  • If you have a sketchy/angleshooty strategy, ask me privately for clarification and I'll tell you if it's allowed before you go for it.
  • If you don't follow the above rule, don't expect it to work in your favour.
  • No editing or deleting posts.
  • No private messages with other players - just use bilateral conspiracies if you want that.
  • No copying/pasting GM communications of any sort.
  • Ask for a sub if you want one.
  • Play to your VC: this includes not conceding the game if there is any chance of victory. If it's just that you don't want to play your position, I would much rather replace you.
  • Breaking any of the game rules can result in any remedy the GM sees fit, including being removed from the game or being forced to only post potatoes.

Player Roster

1. Fatmo
2. Blackswimmer
3. kimpossible
4. justin
5. AKFD
6. UFO Fever
7. sjg11
8. Strategus
9. lecrae
10. dwiltse
11. GregorV

Reserves:

FAQ
When will the game run? When it gets there in the queue, so after Infinite Jest Mafia. So maybe May?

Time commitment? Probably less than a normal game, given the communications being on discord. Like telephone mafia I suspect this will make it more manageable. That being said there are 14 players and I can't say how many comms you're going to get roped into.

I'm too lazy to play, can I spectate? Yes, like telephone mafia I'll design the discord so spectators can view all the communications in the game, for maximum entertainment value. Just post here that you want to spec or DM me.

Also no one asked but I may change a few of these mechanics or the balance before the game launches, if anyone has design thoughts I'd love to hear them.
Last edited by shadowface on 25 May 2021, 18:53, edited 16 times in total.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Signups (1/

Postby Blackswimmer » 05 Mar 2021, 22:27

In. Also predicting that the number of conspiracies will rapidly approach 2^14 as the game progresses. :lol:
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Signups (1/

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2021, 22:32

Blackswimmer wrote:In. Also predicting that the number of conspiracies will rapidly approach 2^14 as the game progresses. :lol:

I like chaos :)
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Re: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Signups (2/

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2021, 22:45

Oh boy. Put me in this.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Re: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Signups (3/

Postby Justinrs2 » 05 Mar 2021, 22:51

Put me down, please. Should neatly fit into my schedule after Finals.

Let the maple conspiracies begin!
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Signups (4/

Postby AKFD » 06 Mar 2021, 00:42

I'm most likely in on this one. No promoses yet though.
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Mafia - Signups (5/

Postby Ann2026 » 06 Mar 2021, 04:44

I would like to spectate please.
Look in the mirror, that's your competition ...
Ann2026
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1083
All-game rating: 1129

Postby shadowface » 06 Mar 2021, 04:54

Ann2026 wrote:I would like to spectate please.

Sounds good, I'll add you when it starts! And welcome to the forum :)
shadowface

Postby UFO Fever » 06 Mar 2021, 05:20

Wait this is on Discord? I’m in.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
The best damn vig on this site.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby shadowface » 06 Mar 2021, 05:49

UFO Fever wrote:Wait this is on Discord? I’m in.

I think if I tried to run this mechanic using the playdip PM system, I would crash the entire forum :D
shadowface

Next

Return to Pending Games