Mafia CLXVIII: Normal Mafia - Recruiting Reserves!

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia CLXVIII: Normal Mafia - Recruiting Reserves!

Postby Telleo » 04 Dec 2017, 22:42

Hello all!

This is a very normal variant of the game. Read the rules here.

This game will run after the conclusion of Sjg's Fable 10, and will not begin before early January, as the GM will be out of contact from the middle through end of December.

Roster:

1. nanooktheeskimo
2. Kimbyrle
3. Zoomzip
4. Sjg11
5. RedSun
6. Parabellum
7. GPD
8. ExiledAtHome
9. Keirador

Reserve:

1. MHS0
Last edited by Telleo on 10 Jan 2018, 10:00, edited 11 times in total.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mafia CLXVIII: Normal Mafia

Postby Nanook » 04 Dec 2017, 22:50

In!

One question:

dems the rules wrote:End Day is a valid vote, requiring BIG BLUE #0000FF LETTERS. Ending day requires majority vote, and the day is considered over the MOMENT majority is reached, regardless of whether or not the GM is present to adjudicate.

Each Day phase lasts 72 hours, or three days. Each night phase lasts 24 hours, one day. Those deadlines may not be exact, but the GM will do her best to be exactly on schedule. The days and nights continue until the GM posts otherwise.

Why are these handled differently? Seems like if we get overtime for one, we should get overtime for both...or if we don't get overtime for one, we shouldn't get overtime for either.

Not complaining cause they are explicit this time, just curious why this is better than handling them consistently, as opposed to independently.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Telleo » 04 Dec 2017, 23:04

nanooktheeskimo wrote:In!

One question:

dems the rules wrote:End Day is a valid vote, requiring BIG BLUE #0000FF LETTERS. Ending day requires majority vote, and the day is considered over the MOMENT majority is reached, regardless of whether or not the GM is present to adjudicate.

Each Day phase lasts 72 hours, or three days. Each night phase lasts 24 hours, one day. Those deadlines may not be exact, but the GM will do her best to be exactly on schedule. The days and nights continue until the GM posts otherwise.

Why are these handled differently? Seems like if we get overtime for one, we should get overtime for both...or if we don't get overtime for one, we shouldn't get overtime for either.

Not complaining cause they are explicit this time, just curious why this is better than handling them consistently, as opposed to independently.

The regular day ends are extended because they will only need to be extended when the GM is failing at her job. The extension exists because I don't enjoy the idea of deleting messages that get accidentally or "accidentally" dropped post deadline, nor of instructing people to disregard messages that obviously they can't just disregard. In addition, if the day ends during a particularly active time in thread, the GM may be delayed by several seconds by PPE alerts, and I don't want to punish players who are cramming at deadline by considering last-second or just-barely-past-deadline posts as violations of the rules.

Day End votes, on the other hand do not have extensions. In short, this is to incentivize the town to think long and hard about ending the day. I dislike the idea of town discussing an issue, coming to a decision on it, and then backtracking. I also like to give the scum the option to punish the town for beginning an End Day motion that they aren't ready for. Day Ends, in my opinion, shouldn't be a tool to end discussion, but should be a tool to end days if the discussion is over. If used in that manner, there's no need for an option to backtrack.

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Postby Nanook » 04 Dec 2017, 23:08

Telleo wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:In!

One question:

The regular day ends are extended because they will only need to be extended when the GM is failing at her job. The extension exists because I don't enjoy the idea of deleting messages that get accidentally or "accidentally" dropped post deadline, nor of instructing people to disregard messages that obviously they can't just disregard. In addition, if the day ends during a particularly active time in thread, the GM may be delayed by several seconds by PPE alerts, and I don't want to punish players who are cramming at deadline by considering last-second or just-barely-past-deadline posts as violations of the rules.

Day End votes, on the other hand do not have extensions. In short, this is to incentivize the town to think long and hard about ending the day. I dislike the idea of town discussing an issue, coming to a decision on it, and then backtracking. I also like to give the scum the option to punish the town for beginning an End Day motion that they aren't ready for. Day Ends, in my opinion, shouldn't be a tool to end discussion, but should be a tool to end days if the discussion is over. If used in that manner, there's no need for an option to backtrack.

So why not cut off vote tallying at the deadline? I understand the point about not being able to disregard what's been said...but how is that different after an End Day vote passes majority if you're not around to tell people to stop posting? Are players expected to stop posting on their own once majority is reached? What if they don't realize that majority has been reached when they're posting?

I guess I just don't see why votes should count after the deadline but not after an end day. It seems to me like it should be the same across the board.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Telleo » 04 Dec 2017, 23:12

nanooktheeskimo wrote:So why not cut off vote tallying at the deadline? I understand the point about not being able to disregard what's been said...but how is that different after an End Day vote passes majority if you're not around to tell people to stop posting? Are players expected to stop posting on their own once majority is reached? What if they don't realize that majority has been reached when they're posting?

I guess I just don't see why votes should count after the deadline but not after an end day. It seems to me like it should be the same across the board.

This is, I suppose, coming from the point of view that End Day votes almost NEVER happen in non-game-end scenarios. In that regard, posts that happen after the majority is reached don't matter because... well, the GAME usually ends along with the day. Ultimately, it boils down to "If it's my fault the day hasn't ended, enjoy some free time. If it's the town's fault the day hasn't ended, I'm not a generous god."

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Postby shadowface » 05 Dec 2017, 01:27

Aw, I'd love to sign up to play but I am going to be leaving for a distant land mid-January. So I'd probably have to sub out soon after it starts. :( Have fun though!

End Day is a valid vote, requiring BIG BLUE #0000FF LETTERS. Ending day requires majority vote, and the day is considered over the MOMENT majority is reached, regardless of whether or not the GM is present to adjudicate.

:D
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
Nanook wrote:C O W A R D
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby Parabellum » 06 Dec 2017, 00:39

I'll play.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Standard rating: (990)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby Zoomzip » 07 Dec 2017, 23:35

Provisionally In.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Keirador » 07 Dec 2017, 23:39

Structured this way, I'd argue that the option to "End Day" is simply an anti-town trap that a clever town shouldn't fuck with at all. Shouldn't, but might anyway to their detriment, and there's nothing untoward about featuring rules that don't advantage the town.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Telleo » 08 Dec 2017, 00:19

Keirador wrote:Structured this way, I'd argue that the option to "End Day" is simply an anti-town trap that a clever town shouldn't fuck with at all. Shouldn't, but might anyway to their detriment, and there's nothing untoward about featuring rules that don't advantage the town.

;)

End Day is almost always a bad idea, IMO. But in the event that the game progresses to the point that people don't care, or the scum is like 99% caught, I like to have the option available.

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Next

Return to Sign-ups and Rules