A Very SPECIAL Game Thread of Mafia

Moderators: Telleo, condude1, bkbkbk, Zoomzip, sjg11

Re: A Very SPECIAL Game Thread of Mafia

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 18:49

Durga wrote:I don't really get a townie vibe from Aes. Can someone explain what makes him townie? His major contribution seems to be thinking way too hard about these roles.

Ahhhh...this is just classic scum partner stuff. The subtext here is the following:

I don't really get a townie vibe from Aes

Hey look, I am not defending Aeschines.
Can someone explain what makes him townie?

Everybody please talk more about how Aeschines is town!
His major contribution seems to be thinking way too hard about these roles.

He keeps doing the thing that people who have played with him already said is NAI.
Conq
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2437
All-game rating: 2578
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 18:51

Fatmo wrote:So far I think I don't want to vote for Aes today as things stand now. Actually, Aes is probably my top townread at the moment, as weird as that sounds.

This would be a very rare thing for a scum player to say about his partner early on Day 1.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 18:53

Aeschines wrote:I am going to switch my vote to Durga. I see Durga's "whoops - I just picked abilities for style points" as scum-leany at best. It will give her cover if she has to reveal that she picked END/STR/CHA (or is caught by a perceptor). I think that statement, while plausibly from a townie who isn't that invested, sounds most likely to be coming from scum. It's a similar cover to SJGs except that there was no reason for her to tell us that she picked for the lolz except to create cover. Sjg was understandably worried about that becoming a D2+ issue and wanting to head it off, but Durga doesn't seem concerned about that at all.

This is from Aeschines on Day 1. I'd say this is more town indicative for Durga than scum indicative. It's an early bus, and not exactly what I'd expect from Aeschines/Durga. Though, it was early enough, with no other pressure on Durga, that this also makes sense as garden variety distancing.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 18:56

Durga wrote:i'm just gonna reveal because i don't think it matters. my major is luck and my minor is charisma. i thought i could pick who's vote i would steal with charisma and figured it would be fun.

I read this as Townie in the moment, but it really pings me differently now.

"I figured it would be fun"...reading it again it doesn't really sound like town Durga to me. Like, Durga plays a lot of Mafia and cares a lot about winning. I don't know, this totally pinged me as Towny on Day 1, but it doesn't do that now.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 18:57

Taking a break. More to come.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 19:42

Durga, when you return to the thread can you give me, say, three bullet points on why you think I am scum? You are suggesting that you're basically convinced, and trying to get Fatmo to vote for me (not trying to get me to vote for Fatmo). I just don't really understand why you think I'm scum.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Fatmo » 12 Jul 2019, 20:22

Yes Durga, please try to make a case on Conq.

This is pretty bad timing for me not to be around much, but might have some time tomorrow. I neee time to actually read durgas stuff from today and analyze it and go through the thread again. Durga actually seems like she’s got a fire and some urgency today, as well as probably more actual content than before.

Durga, there’s two things from D2 I can see maybe being some kind of person indicator that conq coukd be scum. M

I will say that conq going through the thread like he just has looks very townie from him. I saw him do that in Martial law. Going through things and trying to find townie or scummy looking things from previous days and looking at interactions with/about people that flipped scum.

Anyway, I wish I could quote, but I’m in car on phone so can’t really. Basically, one of the things would be Conq’s position where he seemed pretty preoccupied with analyzing the Kim NK and thought there had to be scum there. Now that I think about it, I could see a world where that was basically theater, and that killing Kim was done to throw people off their trail. Since Kim wasn’t really critical of either, and was tiwnreading Aes pretty hard.

The other thing is something I really really should have asked Aes yesterday. It is about the way he reacted to Conq’s fake claim of having Charisma active yesterday. Basically he was saying he was scumreading conq kind of a lot, from stuff that happened D1 as well as the claim from D2. Then once Conq retracted the claim, Aes kind of seemed to completely back off that. I had my own reasons for thinking that looked townie from him, but I forget if Aes really explained why he thought that looked so townie from him.

I still scumread you more Durga, but I owe it to the game to go back through the thread when I can. But can you maybe go back and look through those things I just pointed out and let me know what you think of them?

I also see you saying you basically think I was buddied hard by both scum. I’ll try looking through Conq and Aes and see if I agree about Conq. Aes did a very good job on me lol. Kim has also done that successfully against me before.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 21:07

I am doing my best to avoid a conf bias tunnel here, but I feel like I’m moving more towards the position I started in: Durga is our last wolf. And I like the fighting spirit, but next to yesterday it just seems like Durga was not on the verge of losing on Day 2 and is on the verge of losing on Day 3. That’s true only for the bad guys.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 21:14

Conq wrote:
sjg11 wrote:
Conq wrote:I have Charisma and Agility, in that order, and I control Sjg’s vote today. 8-)

Oh the fun.

Although got to admit I'm surprised you picked Charisma Conq, what was your logic there?

I see Charisma as a more powerful Intelligence. Your vote counts as double, and it’s also more powerful because you remove another vote from the game.

The benefit to town if Charisma is enabled is that you can effectively gain another mislynch. If one of our CHA players lives to 2-2 or 1-1, we can still win, and we have a much better chance if we go down to 3-2.

Oh, you can take this argument or leave it, I suppose. But no teammate of Conq chooses Intelligence in this setup. That's just bad strategy, and I cannot imagine letting it happen in a game with a Night 0.
Conq
Premium Member

Postby Conq » 12 Jul 2019, 21:19

Durga wrote: aeschines

It's not omgus I promise. I don't really care that you're voting me. I just don't see any of that analysis coming from a town perspective. It's reliant on what I picked as my minor even though you acknowledged that there are townie reasons to pick it. No one strikes you as town and you're already hedging your read on me in the event that you're wrong. Which you are. Also the whole jumping the gun makes no sense and feels like you're grasping at straws to find a scum read. I'm likely an easy mislynch candidate so good pick I guess. You don't buy that I picked for fun? You must not know me very well. :)

Here is Durga's Day 1 vote on Aeschines. I think this is classic partner distancing for two reasons:

(1) Durga's vote doesn't come down until both Kim and Fatmo have given Aeschines hard town reads. So, he just was not in danger. And Durga's case is just a summary of the things that other players have already called NAI.

(2) She uses pretty certain language here, like she's really convinced. But then when she has a chance to join me and potentially lynch Aeschines at Day's end, she ignores it.

So she sounds convinced in her post and early vote when he is not in danger, but she is not interested in lynching him when she is in danger. Very much looks like distancing.
Conq
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads