Mafia CLIV: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia (Town Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 23:24

HOW ARE WE NOT BEATING FUCKING LUDOGORETS?
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
User avatar
sjg11
 
Posts: 18108
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 15:30
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 23:35

YES! OZIL, YOU BEAUTIFUL HUMAN BEING! YOU ABSOLUTE LEGEND!
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
User avatar
sjg11
 
Posts: 18108
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 15:30
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Jordan767 » 01 Nov 2016, 23:37

My god is this sjg drunk posting? Why did you wish this upon us Chuck?!
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 06:35
Location: Colorado
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 23:41

By which he means that Chuck is a fucking legend.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
User avatar
sjg11
 
Posts: 18108
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 15:30
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Zoomzip » 02 Nov 2016, 01:33

Ok -- on mobile. Probably my last post of this realtime day before bed.

Would like to see more votes thrown down and takes made.

Condude-- can you poke Happymeal?

@DJA-- Ok, good for voting someone. Shame it is such bad vote. You are alleging devious scum ZoomZip wanted to set up a situation where a Laege intentionally went off lunch to secure the kills of some small stompers. For your consideration, an alternate take-- ZoomZip did not include the idea of smalls not participating in the group stomp because it was an oversight. He agrees that smalls should not join in the punishment stomp. You know, fine tuning a plan. The way SJG and Justy did on the deadline. Your vote is bad. I give you credit for at least having the courage to vote. But you need to move it.

@Town-- we are half revealed. This is not acceptable. Get those reveals out so we can try and work with things. Harb, you even selected large. Cause you wanted to threaten stompy on recalcitrants. But you seem to be entertaining the idea of a half reveal. What up with that?

See you in like 13 hours.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
User avatar
Zoomzip
 
Posts: 6563
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 05:29
Location: NoVa and The District
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Happymeal » 02 Nov 2016, 02:07

Man, how unlucky am I to have had this game started on day that I was not availible. I'm posting a little filler in this message just to claim I'm here and I'm assuming people have already discussed the large or small reveal, but I will say that I think it's best we reveal what size we've chosen right now. It disallows pretty much anything under the parameters of lying to occur. For ex., if two people claim large and then medium sizes get squashed at night, we can safely assume we have a large mafia and that one of the people within the non - large claiming camp is lying. I mean, there's a lot of ways this can play out, but I feel like revealing our sizes now will best deal with unexpected developments in the future.
It's true I'm nervous, but why do you think I'm mad?
User avatar
Happymeal
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 14:08
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Happymeal » 02 Nov 2016, 02:23

Zoomzip wrote:Question 1: Suppose all players let random.org chose their size. what is the best outcome for the town?


What pertinence does this question hold? Exactly what is your reason for asking this question? What results did you expect?

I ask this because it seems like filler wrapped up in "I'm trying to help" type statement. Mafia tend to do stuff like this and so I'm wondering what your motive is behind this.

Zoomzip wrote:]Question 2: Thinking about the result of Question 1, now just suppose the town players got the best outcome, but the scum could select their size. What would they chose to maximize their advantage?


Once again, what relevance does this have? We don't know what scenario we are looking at. Before asking about what possible scenarios we have and misleading the town to an area that doesn't tell us shit, how about we actually decide on how to get the information we want? It's irrelevant what we think is optimal or not because we gotta work with what we have, not with what we might have. We need to focus on what we have rather than the "maybes" or "If's"

Zoomzip wrote:Question 3: Given how you think the scum might react, what should the town do to counteract the scum's plan?


You're asking this as though we have intel on how the scum might react, it makes 0 sense to me why a town member would possess this knowledge. We don't even know the scum's plan either. Another filler question.


Zoomzip wrote:I have given these three questions a great deal of thought. It informed my size selection, and it informs what I am thinking we should do. I hope, really hope, that every townie went through this kind of process already, because if so I think we can set up a good system and perhaps a town advantage for ourselves.


This to me is the worst way you could have actually ended your sentiment. You don't even answer your own damn questions. Dude, if you're asking questions, have the damn courtesy to answer them yourself. This is more mafia aligned for a first post than I've ever seen. I'm placing my vote(s) on you as of now.

Zoomzip
It's true I'm nervous, but why do you think I'm mad?
User avatar
Happymeal
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 14:08
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Happymeal » 02 Nov 2016, 02:30

Normally I would make a giant post addressing all ten pages in their entirety, but I felt the vote was pretty important so I made it prior to my next entry which should address everyone else.
It's true I'm nervous, but why do you think I'm mad?
User avatar
Happymeal
 
Posts: 1900
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 14:08
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby condude1 » 02 Nov 2016, 02:44

Hoidofthenorth has been replaced by Shadowfriend1. The deadline is still 2:30 PM PDT, Thursday, November 3rd.

Current vote count:

Zoomzip (1): Happymeal
Not Voting (8): Everyone else
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 8160
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby shadowface » 02 Nov 2016, 03:03

Hi everyone! I'm here sooner than I thought, but that's fine. I'll try to not get lynched so quickly this time by talking less and smiling more. :)
Anyways, onto my monologue:
Here are some logs of my first thoughts as I read up (may or may not be relevant anymore).

  • Zoomzip wrote:Good morning all. My name is ZoomZip. My preferred pronouns are he/his or they/their. Whatever floats your boat. It is a pleasure to rejoin you. Hello again to Harb, SJG11, and should she join the game, shadowfriend1 (I doubt you remember me, but we overlapped briefly I think).

    Welcome back Zoomzip (& Harb)! We played in the noob game Camelot IIRC. You can expect my play to be much improved but still very dubious at times.
  • Don Juan of Austria wrote:So right now, I'd say I'm against the reveal of sizes. And plus, people have been known to lie about such things before. :lol:

    Interesting that everyone's thinking this way - they all thought the exact opposite last time, except for me. For those against revealing size, what's going to protect the smalls from getting stomped to death at night this way?

  • For the record I am for reveal, because I spent a bad amount of time being convinced of that in the first run-through of this game.
  • Don Juan of Austria wrote:I should think that the mafia are small...they can carry extra voting power, and hide, while us townies stomp it out while the mafia hide. And think about it, 2 small mafia voting together have a power of 6....and there are only 7 townies to begin with. And I think most townies went larger, rather than smaller.

    Maybe, but I personally think the mafia would be tempted to go large, though less so with two of them because like you said, their votes can stack. This opinion is from me having to decide what to do last game and going with large as mafia, albeit with only on night of hide if I had chosen small.
  • Zoomzip wrote:I need quick consensus on this to be a town plan. Please indicate in your next post if you agree to this plan or not. If you have an objection, please make it soon.

    Sure. Potential flaw might be if a lynch falls on Monday for me. On monday I am booked entirely solid with classes and monster commutes and, depending on how many buses I have to wait for, might not be able to check in, almost certainly not with a short (ie. 3hr) deadline. It would make me very sad to get killed for this.
    EDIT: I wrote this before knowing my size or faction while reading the thread, and now that I know I'm large, if I don't make a deadline I don't mind if everyone tries to stomp me.
    On that note, the stomping plan doesn't work if the target is large, or solve the problem of what we're supposed to do with the small and medium townies.
    @Zoomzip: If a large player doesn't consolidate votes, we can't stomp him to death at night. Would you want to lynch him the next day then? What would you do if he claims to have been busy - still lynch him for it? I'm not against your plan (in fact it sounds quite fun), but I'd like to know how this would work, with almost everyone being large so far.

  • Current scumreads as of Page 4 - anyone who is against reveals. 'Tis a bad plan, and I will explain why if the issue persists.

  • UpsideDownChuck wrote:I don't really care about the dogpile. I'm fine with it as I think if an 'unexpected' lynchgors throughnitnpotentially helps the mafia identify vulnerable townies.

    Commit. Also, could you elaborate/use spaces on the second sentence?

  • I like almost everything Harb's said lately. I disagree with his stance against the dogpile - I am for it, but his criticism is valid.

  • Yay, you're all claiming!

    My predecessor chose Large. I cannot speak to his reasoning, but for the record I would have chosen large as well. I think it is immensely powerful. Evidence for this is in BMS1, in which I chose large (even as mafia, for whom the size is relatively inferior IMO).

  • @sjg: do you think the mafia are more likely to choose small than the town is?

  • @Don Juan - Describe the benefits of a partial town reveal vs a full town reveal please. Then reveal.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
Nanook wrote:C O W A R D
User avatar
shadowface
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 06:26
Location: Toronto
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests