Mafia CLIV: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia (Town Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 02:59

Okay by this point I'm kinda off the Happymeal read. I disagree with the way he's been playing but that doesn't make him scum. He's also taken more risks than I'd expect from a scum.

Don Juan of Austria on the other hand...

I ISOed him. And there really isn't a whole lot there.

He talks pretty much exclusively about mechanics. But then when pressed for info on his size, why he chose it, and his position on mechanical issues, he gives us one piece at a time then makes us ask for more. When asked about his reluctance to reveal, he plays it off with a joke and doesn't actually address the issue. He pretty much uses sjg's and UDC's positions on these issues as justification for his own positions.

When voted, he goes "oh. I got a vote" (actual, verbatim quote) and carries on rather than engaging in any discussion of it. Perhaps because he can't actually defend himself.

For his vote on Zoomzip (which, unrelatedly, has been recast at least twice due to color and size errors) he cites exclusively mechanical reasons. Like, I know he's new and may not know better, but he's also been around the rest of the town admonishing happymeal and me for voting on mechanics. He has literally nothing else to base this read on except the views of happymeal and Chuck.

Incidentally, Don Juan, the tabulator currently reads a self-vote from you. Consider recasting your actual vote...
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 03:05

Happymeal wrote:@sjg

who do you plan on stomping tonight?

@everyone

Please answer the question and your reasoning why.

I am not certain about my options for stomping. I think there is only one or two small players other than me (sjg and justy) so probably one of them. I'm more interested in stomping justy so that is who I will stomp tonight.

I'm stomping a large. Haven't decided which one yet. Shadow maybe? I doubt it matters which one--I just don't want to end up vigging sjg or justy.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 03:32

UpsideDownChuck wrote:I read DJ's iso in Plague. He is more comfortable joking around then newbie scum usually are, but in Plague he largely uses joking around to avoid giving any concrete stances. I guess I'm interested to see what he does when he comes back but so far in this game I would say his contrarian stance on reveals and challenging of ZZ are quite removed from what he was comfortable with in the previous game.

I read that whole game (because I have no friend or hobbies :( ) and DJ got subbed out after lurking hard. IIRC he never really posted enough to have the opportunity to show what he was comfortable with.

As for the joke, I will quote it here:
Don Juan of Austria wrote:
Harb wrote:
Don Juan of Austria wrote:I was against full/mostly reveal. Partial reveal is necessary though. All we had to reveal (in due time), was a size medium (should we have one), and a large. And then people can visit whom they wish, except larges to the medium. Now though, Sjg made a good point in that there's no real reason to hold out any longer.

What advantage did you see in scum not knowing YOUR size though? You said you didn't want scum to know it right then.

My size is a personal thing...me and the GM are the only ones who are supposed to know about those kinds of things...and now you've forced me.
My advantage was I had some dignity about me...some mystery. Oh well for that.

Tell me if I'm wrong but it looks like he's actively avoiding engagement or explaining himself.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 03:35

Chuck, I just checked the tabulator and your vote didn't register. IIRC the color was wrong? You need #0000FF.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 03:36

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Yeah my thinking with his Plague play was that he was using joking to mask the fact that the sum of his posting really had no concrete stances, something which I don't think his posting here is characterized by, Also he has given some reasons for choosing large, namely that he figured if he could cig people he thought were wolves that was worth more than extra votes

True. But how hard did we have to work to pull that out of him?
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 04:49

shadowfriend1 wrote:
Jordan767 wrote:As for the joke, I will quote it here:
Don Juan of Austria wrote:My size is a personal thing...me and the GM are the only ones who are supposed to know about those kinds of things...and now you've forced me.
My advantage was I had some dignity about me...some mystery. Oh well for that.

Tell me if I'm wrong but it looks like he's actively avoiding engagement or explaining himself.

Oh, okay. I could see scum doing that. This is the first thing I've seen from Don Juan that I can see as scummy. It would be quite - noobish, I think, to expect that this reasoning would work as scum, though, which is why I didn't pay much attention to it.

Isn't this his second game and the first one he's fully participated in?
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 04:54

Happymeal wrote:
shadowfriend1 wrote:Oh, okay. I could see scum doing that. This is the first thing I've seen from Don Juan that I can see as scummy. It would be quite - noobish, I think, to expect that this reasoning would work as scum, though, which is why I didn't pay much attention to it.

Wait, you do recognize that this is a quote from another game, right?

No, it's from this one. Not sure where since I got it off the ISO.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 06:30

UpsideDownChuck wrote:
What happened in between these two posts? The ony big mechanica point I'd made between these was asking why we needed further reveals post sjg11? Which was not imo an unreasonabe question/oversight.

I mean, you didn't (IIRC) acknowledge that sjg needed a safe visit target. It's not an unreasonable oversight to make, but I didn't know it was just an oversight at the time.

Essentially, though, I wasn't at all a fan of partial revealing in general, but especially not the lynch runner-up plan. It would have given a ton of control to a person who we as a town thought was second scummiest. And if that player wasn't online before they became lynch runner-up, then what were we going to do? Your good points, in my mind, still did not add up to a good conclusion.

Pretty much, Zoomzip was asking me to get a read down and I didn't have a lot of time before I had to leave thread for a while. You were someone who wasn't looking great in my eyes and were fresh on my mind. I definitely wasn't going to vote for you without a reread and reasons beyond mechanics.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 18:25

Still comfortable with a Don Juan vote. Harb, that last paragraph to sjg kinda covers part of my issue with his explanation. It's what I was trying to say.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Postby Jordan767 » 03 Nov 2016, 20:50

Actually there's only 2 hours and 40 minutes left before EOD. So, Don Juan of Austria.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads