Vote Tabulator

Games that are currently underway. These games are usually still looking for reserve players. PM the GM if you wish to sign on as a reserve.

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Vote Tabulator

Postby connect4 » 14 Jul 2011, 17:55

After a bunch of beta testing, I believe that this tool is about as ready as can be for release (those who read the Fellowship of the Mafia thread got a 1/2 day head start on everyone else!): Vote Tabulator (alternative link if the first isn't working is here).

Key Notes about the tool:
1) The tool refreshes its data every 30 minutes from the site. Games disappear after ~1 week of inactivity.
2) The tool pulls all votes in one of two colors, in a size range that can be set from game to game. Note that, unless a GM says otherwise, this is not an official vote tally (as some GM's may call #ff0040 "red"). It will be an official vote tally in Fellowship of the Mafia, though!
3) For each player, the drop down menu on the right shows you all votes cast in the given color. When you select a given vote, you can click on the link on the date to go to the post in which that player made the vote.
4) This only works for games in the Active subforum. So this won't work for any other site (yet). Also, please don't add any games in that are already in the system; Google Docs get mad if you make more than a certain number of UrlFetch calls in one day (as I discovered when creating this), and the only way this should ever get hit is if there are multiple copies of the same game listed in the spreadsheet. Please be nice and don't break the nice, free tool. (Designer's note: you should get an error if you try to add a second copy of the game)
5) You can limit your search by date, to allow you to look at history by date (for instance, all votes in the current game day). Also, a summary appears at the bottom, and the tool tries to coerce nicknames into common names. Changing the "color" field will change the color of that person in the entire voting summary at the bottom (and allows for copy/paste of the summary to your clipboard for subsequent posts). The chronological order also tracks the number of votes on each person when that vote is cast.
6) If you'd like to put a link to this in your signature, or anywhere else, click on the "Link to this search" button after running your search. That link will bring up the exact search you made if a user clicks it.
7) Saved searches - you can also save your searches within vote tracker. This is useful if a player wants to track votes from a given day, or before some key time.
8) GM Overrides - It is possible for a GM to override a player's vote. To do so, the GM (the original author of the thread) may make a post in the same voting format as players, with the following text: override playerA -> playerB. When the GM does this, it will be registered by the Tabulator as a vote by playerA for playerB. It must start with "override", and have the arrow (a single dash followed by > ) in the middle.

Let me know if any issues come up as a result of it!

Please feel free to leave feedback/future suggestions in thread or via PM. I'll be glad to add features if there's demand for it. Thanks to Crunkus, Rolan, Ironhammer, and vindictus, who took looks at the tool while it was being developed and gave some nice feedback!
connect4

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Vote Tabulator

Postby ninjaruler » 14 Jul 2011, 18:36

I just took a look at it and its pretty nifty! If I ever become a GM to a mafia game then heres the thanks in advance! THanks!
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Test1

Postby connect4 » 14 Jul 2011, 23:04

ThisIsATest

Edit: Holy fudge that worked...

You will NOT believe what this means... That's all I have to say for now...
connect4

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 15 Jul 2011, 00:42

It is ignoring the word "unvote" in regards to the current count in LN2.

I don't mean that to sound surprised or disappointed. Of course it is ignoring that word, because you didn't tell your hoodiddy to pay any attention to it.
Rolan A Doobie

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby connect4 » 15 Jul 2011, 05:16

Hmmmm.... something weird happened. I'll look into it tomorrow.
connect4

Postby ninjaruler » 15 Jul 2011, 05:20

I was looking at my votes in x-files(which I am dead in) and it has me as voting like 30 times(exaggeration) on the same person in a row, which I dont think i did, or at least not all at the same time...
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby connect4 » 15 Jul 2011, 05:25

Yup, something's rotten there.

Sorry guys, thought I had the kinks worked out :(
connect4

Postby Firestorm94 » 15 Jul 2011, 05:52

That's okay. You said it was a beta, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're glad to help you work the kinks out. :D
Firestorm94

Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby connect4 » 15 Jul 2011, 14:18

Well that was weird. I know why the votes were counted many times in a row; my problem is I'm not sure what caused the counters to get so far off, considering I couldn't duplicate it myself! :(

For now, I'll blame myself for doing something stupid that I can't figure out, but I'm keeping an eye out to find what caused it. At least I know what to look for!

That being said, the votes have been re-read, and a quick look through the DB seems to say they're fine. (For now). We'll see what happens as time goes on! :)

Rolan - the unvotes seem to now be showing. Not really sure how to handle them though :)

Thanks for catching this all!
connect4

Postby Bwlvych » 15 Jul 2011, 15:21

Just for reference ... I get "an unexpected error has occured" whenever I try to access this. Possibly because I am using ie9?
"I am Oswin Oswald. I fought the Daleks and I am human. Remember me."
Bwlvych

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1017
All-game rating: 1059
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Active