Site update and changes (Oct 2016)

Official announcements from the creators

Site update and changes (Oct 2016)

Postby super_dipsy » 27 Oct 2016, 07:03

At the end of last year, Avalanche announced major changes planned for the site in the shape of a new codebase, in particular to properly encompass mobile phones and devices as well as to modernize the playing experience. Avalanche has engaged a software development company to do the work and the original plan was to deliver it this summer. Since summer has passed, and since more and more people are wondering when the new update will be delivered, now seems a good time to provide an update. And also to announce some other changes!

As people have already deduced, the new site is not going to make summer 2016 :o . It is currently in an alpha state with initial testing ongoing. The current focus is to work at the interface and gameplay for the basic Diplomacy version before the other variants and options are added later. Once in a state to involve other site players, I will be back to tap on the shoulder those who have already volunteered to help test the new site; but we are not at that state yet. Realistically, the current prognosis is that the new site will not be delivered until the Spring / Summer 2017 timeframe. I realize this is a disappointment, but the prime consideration is that when the new code is launched it shouldn't lead to a long period of instability or game play issues.

While we had frozen further development on the old code, we are going to take advantage of the delay in the new code to try to spice things up a little while we wait.

One thing we have decided to do is give a boost to Anonymous Players and Anonymous Countries games by opening them to non-premium. These games are in demand by many on the site, particularly stronger players who wish to avoid being targeted. To help make these games easier to fill, we'll open them to everyone (still for plain-vanilla Diplomacy of course.) To go with that, we're also giving non-premium members who have been here more than a month the ability to play in up to 5 games. This will further open up the player pool to fill games.

There is also the possibility of delivering a new variant! This will be premium players only just like the other variants. I don't want to say too much at the moment because it depends on whether I can work out how to do it without extensive work on the old code, but if it works out it will deliver a new and exciting alternative for relatively little effort :D .

I will be updating the site for the changes to Anon games and non-premium limits shortly, and if it is good news on the new variant you will see something about that in the coming weeks.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Re: Site update and changes (Oct 2016)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 27 Oct 2016, 07:28

Awesome news Dipsy! It'll be well worth the wait to have it roll out ready to go (or near to as possible), rather than rushing it out and having it not be ready yet. Better to do it right in however much time it takes to do so, than to do it quick and rushed.

Not sure if I've volunteered for testing when needed or not, but if you need another person to help test when the time comes, I'm more than happy to toss my hat in the ring for that.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 27 Oct 2016, 07:30

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Not sure if I've volunteered for testing when needed or not, but if you need another person to help test when the time comes, I'm more than happy to toss my hat in the ring for that.

You are now on my list! Thanks for the offer.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby Twifitt » 27 Oct 2016, 09:54

Same with me, I have no idea if you'd need it-but I'd absolutely love to contribute to whatever you need with these developments. It's all very exciting either way, I'm certainly looking forward to this. Good luck with it all, and hopefully there's a possibility that I can help out too.

Regards,

Twifitt
Why can't we settle these disputes in a more ironically diplomatic way? Instead of fighting it out with armies and fleets, why not have an organisation to unite us, a sort of Union of Europe if you will?

Meh, England would probably end up leaving in the end...
Twifitt

Standard rating: (998)
All-game rating: (1001)

Postby GhostEcho » 27 Oct 2016, 16:47

Great to have an update on progress: I'm a big fan of the changes as well (always good to include more people in more things when possible). And... another variant... :lol:
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 979

Postby WarSmith » 27 Oct 2016, 22:44

Great news!
Having the chance to play lots of anonymous against non-premiums is a dream come true (although it will make cheating harder to spot). But anyway - that's great and I'm excited about another variant also. Thankyou.
Also happy to help if needed (I was very happy to be the boundary 'drawer' when we switched maps a few years back).
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1713
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby joe92 » 27 Oct 2016, 22:56

Thanks for the update! I like the prospect of non-premium's able to play anon games. Mostly looking forwards to the possibility of a new variant! Any hints on which variant it is? If I had to guess I'd say Heptarchy with it's bazillion runs in the PbF :D
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721

Postby joe92 » 27 Oct 2016, 22:58

Although I'm guessing you wouldn't have to change the code base for Heptarchy as there's no special rules... Hmm :?:
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 28 Oct 2016, 00:22

My guess would be WitA. Doesn't have the thorny rules issue of colonial, and it's proven to be pretty balanced. My fingers are crossed for that, at least!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby Carebear » 28 Oct 2016, 00:35

Crystal Ball
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Next

Return to Announcements