UPDATE: Missing Email Workaround

Official announcements from the creators

Re: UPDATE: Missing Emails & Partial Workaround

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 24 Mar 2020, 19:05

I've updated the top of this thread with a workaround for new account verification. That should help in the interim; the longterm solution is still something I'll need the site owner to implement.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby ambilzi » 24 Mar 2020, 23:49

Doing a domain health lookup of playdiplomacy.com, it appears that the domain was picked up by a blacklist. May be part of the trouble? https://mxtoolbox.com/domain Nevermind looks like you already discovered that.
ambilzi

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1000

Postby Latanst » 26 Mar 2020, 11:04

Obviously this is a known problem so mine is only an incident report and for information.

I just receive the following

"""
Hello Latanst,
You did not confirm your participation in the game Marco?.
The game has returned to waiting phase and someone else will replace you.
Please note that signing up for games and then not confirming them when they start is heavily frowned upon, as you are causing delays for other players. If you do it too often, your account may be penalized.
"""
However, I did not receive an email asking me to confirm participation. Please don't penalize me (LOL)! It is a shame though since I was looking forward to participating in this particular game. Next time.

Good luck with the repairs.

Latanst

NoPunIn10Did wrote:We are seeing more instances of emails sent by the site being delayed or not being received at all. This used to be an issue primarily with new account confirmation, but now it appears to be affecting all types of email, including turn notifications and game confirmations.

I have contacted the site owners and requested assistance. Until we get a fix or replacement for our email server, I highly recommend using caution when signing up for games with shorter deadlines.

UPDATE 2020 Mar 24
This continues to be an issue that we are investigating. While there's not much that can be done at this time for delayed/missing turn notification and game confirmation emails, I do have a potential workaround for handling account email verification.

So, if you are making a new account, and you don't receive the standard verification within 4 hours, do the following:
  1. Check your spam and trash folders for your email client first.
  2. If you don't see it there, use the email you want to verify to send a message to nopunin10did.playdiplomacy@gmail.com.
    1. Put "Verify New Account" in the subject line.
    2. Include your username and email address in the body of the message.
    3. If the address you send from and the one you want to verify from don't match, I won't verify your account.
  3. Because I'm having to do this manually in the database, please understand that it may take me 24-48 hours to respond.
  4. Remember, I cannot do anything to help with regard to game confirmation emails. I advise periodically checking the My Pending Games page to see if any are waiting for you to confirm.
Again, I am so sorry for these delays, and I wish there was more I could do. Hopefully I can help at least with the brand new accounts in this fashion.
Latanst
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1059
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Latanst » 26 Mar 2020, 11:08

Obviously this is a known problem so mine is only an incident report and for information.

I just receive the following

"""
Hello Latanst,
You did not confirm your participation in the game Marco?.
The game has returned to waiting phase and someone else will replace you.
Please note that signing up for games and then not confirming them when they start is heavily frowned upon, as you are causing delays for other players. If you do it too often, your account may be penalized.
"""
However, I did not receive an email asking me to confirm participation. Please don't penalize me (LOL)! It is a shame though since I was looking forward to participating in this particular game. Next time.

Good luck with the repairs.

Latanst

NoPunIn10Did wrote:We are seeing more instances of emails sent by the site being delayed or not being received at all. This used to be an issue primarily with new account confirmation, but now it appears to be affecting all types of email, including turn notifications and game confirmations.

I have contacted the site owners and requested assistance. Until we get a fix or replacement for our email server, I highly recommend using caution when signing up for games with shorter deadlines.

UPDATE 2020 Mar 24
This continues to be an issue that we are investigating. While there's not much that can be done at this time for delayed/missing turn notification and game confirmation emails, I do have a potential workaround for handling account email verification.

So, if you are making a new account, and you don't receive the standard verification within 4 hours, do the following:
  1. Check your spam and trash folders for your email client first.
  2. If you don't see it there, use the email you want to verify to send a message to nopunin10did.playdiplomacy@gmail.com.
    1. Put "Verify New Account" in the subject line.
    2. Include your username and email address in the body of the message.
    3. If the address you send from and the one you want to verify from don't match, I won't verify your account.
  3. Because I'm having to do this manually in the database, please understand that it may take me 24-48 hours to respond.
  4. Remember, I cannot do anything to help with regard to game confirmation emails. I advise periodically checking the My Pending Games page to see if any are waiting for you to confirm.
Again, I am so sorry for these delays, and I wish there was more I could do. Hopefully I can help at least with the brand new accounts in this fashion.
Latanst
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1059
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Putski » 26 Mar 2020, 11:16

Any news on this? It is really annoying to miss the signal of phase changement. Already missed one deadline because of it....although I try to look every 12 hours at least…
I know you are on it, just curiosity for the progress.
Putski
Premium Member

All-game rating: 1720
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Mar 2020, 13:06

Putski wrote:Any news on this? It is really annoying to miss the signal of phase changement. Already missed one deadline because of it....although I try to look every 12 hours at least…
I know you are on it, just curiosity for the progress.

I have contacted the site owner multiple times. It’s not something in my power to fix.

My recommendation would be to not play any game with less than 24 hour deadlines, and to not finalize any turn unless you’re absolutely sure you’ll check the site in the next 24 hours.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Putski » 27 Mar 2020, 13:51

Somehow, I am getting the emails again, thanks for all efforts!
Putski
Premium Member

All-game rating: 1720

Postby Jack007 » 27 Mar 2020, 17:06

Putski wrote:Somehow, I am getting the emails again, thanks for all efforts!

Same here :D
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007

Standard rating: 1426
All-game rating: 1657

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Mar 2020, 17:21

Putski wrote:Somehow, I am getting the emails again, thanks for all efforts!

I would love to say I've done something to fix it, but I haven't. Maybe the site owners are fixing something behind the scenes.

In any case, I'll give it a little more time before I update the post to say the problem has eased.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby ambilzi » 27 Mar 2020, 21:01

By my observations, playdiplomacy.com no longer appears to be showing up on blacklist reports so I'm hopeful that something has been fixed!
ambilzi

All-game rating: 1000

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements