PDGL Rules and Sign-ups

Four tiered divisions, with Divisions 3 and 4 split into 2 Pools each, 7 players to a division/pool. TD: rick.leeds

Re: Sign-ups

Postby Stander » 30 Mar 2011, 00:16

rick.leeds wrote:Sign-ups
slippydippy
Niakan
vindictus
wfudd77
presser84
Xorg
mickeyboygee
Darryll629
sjg11
Canadian Tire Iron
roughhawkbit
eliwhitney
Zebb
Marlowe
cspieker
franfloresjr
SplitDiplomat
chriscozz
Jobson15
Master Radishes
LeeHooker
pico93
Hamilax
Bwlvych

Are we not getting any decent players to sign up for this then?
:)
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Sign-ups

Postby presser84 » 30 Mar 2011, 01:47

Stander wrote:
rick.leeds wrote:Sign-ups
slippydippy
Niakan
vindictus
wfudd77
presser84
Xorg
mickeyboygee
Darryll629
sjg11
Canadian Tire Iron
roughhawkbit
eliwhitney
Zebb
Marlowe
cspieker
franfloresjr
SplitDiplomat
chriscozz
Jobson15
Master Radishes
LeeHooker
pico93
Hamilax
Bwlvych

Are we not getting any decent players to sign up for this then?
:)

yea the competition is "meh." j/k :shock:
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: PDGL Rules and Sign-ups

Postby dhz4488 » 30 Mar 2011, 01:57

Sign me up too please. Thanks!
dhz4488

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby fatdaz » 31 Mar 2011, 17:01

Please sign me up

Thanks
fatdaz

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1044)
All-game rating: (1044)

Postby rick.leeds » 01 Apr 2011, 17:24

Done and done :)

I need to make changes to the rules re:the scoring system. I was looking at the system I was going to use, and it dawned on me that it would need to be adapted for this kind of tournament. It will work, as is, with multiple games per round (as laid out in the linked post back in the OP) but not with one game per round. I tried to work out an adaptation for it and managed to do so for games that end in a draw. However, for games that end in solos it doesn't work. The solos are either under represented at the final outcome or to heavily weighted in favour of the soloists. So, after five or six different variations and multiple adaptations of them I gave up: It just isn't going to work with this tournament in the event of a solo. So I'm going to drop back for now on Detour98F (the system in use for the Classic League). I apologise for making the change to the rules after people have signed up. Hopefully it isn't going to make any real difference.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby cspieker » 01 Apr 2011, 20:38

Are you still going to weight on how the countries fared over the entire tournament? If you don't, anyone who draws Russia or Italy (or both :shock: ) will be at a big disadvantage.

One way to solve it, if you don't want to do some complicated weighting system, would be to just have the tourney go seven rounds instead of four.
cspieker

Standard rating: (1300)
All-game rating: (1381)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby rick.leeds » 01 Apr 2011, 22:27

No I'll use the system I used for the Classic League, which means that players will get a balance between corner powers and centre powers (explained here). It works well and the draw for assignments throughout the season will be made before the season starts, so that there will be no errors for Game 4 when one player is left with no option but to play the same country s/he's played before.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby cspieker » 02 Apr 2011, 02:11

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. My main question was whether the points received will vary by country played. Your original system weighted how many points a game played as, say, Russia by normalizing it with the scores of everybody who played Russia. That way if you do get stuck with Russia (death in gunboat), you don't necessarily have to beat everyone else in your game, just all four players who draw Russia in the course of the tourney.

So are you planning on your new system to normalize points by country played?
cspieker

Postby presser84 » 02 Apr 2011, 04:52

cspieker wrote:Perhaps you misunderstood my post. My main question was whether the points received will vary by country played. Your original system weighted how many points a game played as, say, Russia by normalizing it with the scores of everybody who played Russia. That way if you do get stuck with Russia (death in gunboat), you don't necessarily have to beat everyone else in your game, just all four players who draw Russia in the course of the tourney.

So are you planning on your new system to normalize points by country played?

Good point. I like the idea of having a country based rating system but this would require 7 games (1 for each country) to compare everyone in each division equally. I will also say that drawing Russia in gunboat is not a death sentence. Sure you're always fighting a two front war but I have soloed as Russia in gunboat before (check out 26262. Dead of WINter II). Typically you need Germany to let you into Sweden, Austria not to bounce you in Galicia, and Turkey to target Greece to open or at least 2 out of the three. I think that Austria is the toughest in gunboat since you are surrounded and always target number 1 for someone.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby cspieker » 02 Apr 2011, 08:13

Well Presser, you are an extraordinary player. But when you look at averages, the stats show that Russia is down at Italy level or below in terms of wins or draws. A substantial amount below any other country (besides Italy). France and Turkey are the best countries to have.

You wouldn't need 7 games. You could set it up like Rick initially set it up. Your game score (however it is determined) is put in with the 3 others who played Russia, and then you get something like (your score/total of all Russia's scores).
cspieker

PreviousNext

Return to Season One