PlayDip Leagues - Gunboat IDEA

A tiered league based upon the Gunboat type. TD: rick.leeds. No conclusion.

PlayDip Leagues - Gunboat IDEA

Postby rick.leeds » 19 Mar 2011, 19:06

Well, the Classic League is up and running, into Round Two now, and I wanted to set up the second league. I did float what would be the second league and the winner of the poll was PPO, however I think that a Gunboat league would be easier to implement at the moment. The third league WILL be PPO, promise ;)

So the idea is generally as follows:

Structure
- A tiered league system, with promotion and relegation between the tiers. At the top would be Division 1 and Division 2, each with seven players in. The bottom 2 and the top 2 at the end of the season would swap places.
- Below that would be a pyramid formation. That means that Division 3 would be split into two Pools with the top player from each section promoted to Divison 2 and the best second placed player (based upon points) would also be promoted. The bottom three players from Division 2 would be placed in one of the two Pools of Division 3. I envision the membership of those two Pools being mixed up for freshness' sake each new season (that is, if you played in Pool A, you might play in Pool B next time around).
- Players would be allocated a tier to play in based upon their site ranking on a date (to be specified) once sign-ups have been completed.
- In each Division players would play four games. Ideally I'd like to keep each season of the League short but competitive. A player would only play each power once in a season. Power allocations would be random based upon a draw made by me. In the Classic League, I then operated a system which balanced corner and centre power allocations; with the different scoring system, that wouldn't be needed (as it's based on direct comparison with how players perform with given countries) but that is open to discussion.
- A season would be defined as the time it takes for the whole League to complete it's games, rather than a set time. Deadlines will 2/1/1 (only to avoid NMRs).
Obviously the exact structure will depend upon the number of entrants each season, and the number of entrants will need to be a multiple of seven.

Scoring
- Games would be scored solely using the Mean Tournament Scoring system. Totals would accumulate over the four games, with positions being determined properly only when all four games are completed. This is a new system to the site, and fairly complex, but explained in the link.
- The chances of scores being tied over four games is small, but should that happen, places earned in games would split ties, eg two players tied on points would be split by the number of first place positions they accumulated in games, then second places, third places, etc. Note that these are places in games, rather than wins or draws.

Games
- Games would be anonymous (as Gunboat) and use speed deadlines (hence you'd need to be Premium).
- Each Division/Pool would have the option of choosing ranked or no ranked games for the season (by majority decision).
- Games would start on the same date each month.
- DIAS will be in operation.
- For tournament purposes games will end either at the end of Fall 1912 or Fall 1915, which will be decided by poll. 1915 is the site norm and, as I understand it, the usual end date for ftf tournaments in USA. 1912 is (again as I understand it) the end date for European tournaments.

At the moment I am only looking at interest levels. THIS IS NOT THE SIGN-UPs thread. That will be set-up when I publish the Rules thread for the tournament. The rules will be based upon those for the Classic League Rules (but remember some things will be different as described above).

If you're interested, or have any thoughts, let me know. The main idea won't be altered, but some things could be.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PlayDip Leagues - Gunboat IDEA

Postby slippydippy » 19 Mar 2011, 19:24

Floats my boat.
Sally.
SympatheticSally.
If you spot a perfect pink pixie keeping to herself in the corner of the map, you're in luck: at last you have found someone you can trust.
slippydippy

All-game rating: 39
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Niakan » 19 Mar 2011, 19:31

I love gunboat. I'd be happy to join.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby vindictus » 19 Mar 2011, 20:05

I'd love to be in
Platinum member of the Classicists
vindictus

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)

Postby wfudd77 » 19 Mar 2011, 20:23

i have no idea
but i'm game and premium now, so count me in
;)
wfudd77

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby presser84 » 19 Mar 2011, 20:34

love gunboat and would definitely be interested.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby Xorg » 19 Mar 2011, 22:21

I'd be interested
Xorg

Standard rating: (948)
All-game rating: (910)

Postby mickeyboygee » 19 Mar 2011, 23:28

sounds great....

vindictus, i promise not to stab you again ;)

xorg, hopefully you wont stab me :o
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story....
mickeyboygee

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1045)
All-game rating: (1052)

Postby vindictus » 19 Mar 2011, 23:37

mickeyboygee wrote:sounds great....

vindictus, i promise not to stab you again ;)

xorg, hopefully you wont stab me :o

Can't really stab in a gunboat game eh ;)
Platinum member of the Classicists
vindictus

Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)

Postby Darryll629 » 20 Mar 2011, 14:30

If there is room, I'll jump in.
Darryll629
Premium Member