Tournament Rules

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Tournament Rules

Postby Samarkand » 03 Sep 2008, 21:08

Here are the tournament rules. Please, read them carefully and feel free to comment.

--------------------------------------

Tournament Structure

Organizers:
Tournament Director (Samarkand):
He creates the games, assigns players to boards, keep the scoring system running and receives complaints by players. Please, address ALL complaints for cheating or violations of the rules of the tournament to the Tournament Director ONLY. Use private messages ONLY.

Tournament Board
The Tournament Board is made of 5 well-known and trusted members of the forum community and does not include me. They are anonymous and will stay anonymous until the end of the tournament. The Tournament Board, and only the Tournament Board, have the following duties:
- Review allegations of cheating
- Review allegations of breaking the tournament rules
- Punishing violators of the rules through the Tournament Director and Avalanche.
- Changing the rules of the tournament if the situation demands it after the tournament starts
- Award special prizes

The TB has the following obligations:
- To keep their participation in the TB confidential to anyone not in the board and not to share the identity of the other members. Violation will result in immediate elimination from the tournament and dragging the name of the violator in the mud.
- To follow their duties as listed above when necessary.

Rounds
Four rounds of play are scheduled. Two rounds will go simultaneously, two rounds simultaneously will follow when all games from the previous two finish. The seven players with higher scores (see Tournament Scoring) will proceed to the final round, where one game will be played to produce the winner of the tournament.

All games will be:
Game settings:
• Game type: regular
• Stats: rank
• Public: no (Anonymous)
• Variants: Classic
Deadlines:
• orders every 24 hours
• retreat every 24 hours
• build every 24 hours
• Weekends OFF

The games will require passwords that will be distributed by the Tournament Director. Those passwords cannot be shared under ANY circumstances with anybody. A violation of this rule will result in elimination of the tournament and dragging your name in the mud.

If you have a personal, career or other compelling reason to leave the game, please inform the Tournament Director, who will assign a player from the waiting list to finish your game. You will receive 0 points under the first scoring system (see Tournament Scoring) but will receive the full points in the second scoring systems. You will be allowed to continue the tournament. The player who takes over for you and is assigned by the Tournament Director will receive the full points under both systems and our eternal gratitude.

Takeovers by friends, relatives and your girlfriend will result in a punishment decided by the Tournament Board.

Anonymity is obligatory. If you reveal your identity or that of someone else at any point before the end of the game, you will suffer penalties at the discretion of the Tournament Board. Those punishments include, but are not limited to, points penalties, elimination from a round or the whole tournament.

Prizes
Awards will include the following:
• Tournament Champion will go to the winner of the top board or, if there is no solo, to the player with higher accumulated points (including the final, see Tournament Scoring)
• Second through Seventh places will go to the six players, not counting the Tournament Champion, who have the highest scores after the final round
• Best Country Awards will go to the players with the individual best performances with each of the seven powers.
• Other prizes to be disclosed and awarded when the tournament ends by the Tournament Board.

Top Board
The fifth round will be the designated “Top Board”. The 7 players with the highest scores after the first 4 rounds will be invited to play on the top board. If there is a tie between two or more players, the tie will be broken by the second scoring system, Detour98f (see Tournament Scoring). If an invited player does not wish to play on the top board, they may ask to be returned to the general pool, and their spot will be offered to the 8th ranked player, and so forth.

If a player plays in less than 4 qualification rounds, his score will be adjusted as if he played in the others and was eliminated in 1901.

First prize in the tournament and title of PlayDiplomacy Champion will be awarded to the player who scores the largest number of points on the top board. In the case of a tie on the top board, the tie will be broken in favor of the player who had the larger number of points going in to the final round (see Tournament Scoring).

Board Play

Tournament Scoring
The primary scoring system is the default scoring system of the website, where:
A solo is worth 12 points,
2-way is worth 6 points,
3 way is worth 4 points,
4 way is worth 3 points,
5, 6 and 7-ways or eliminations will result in 0 points
surrender will result in -1 point and might be further penalized on the discretion of the Tournament Board.

The second scoring system is Detour98f (http://www.diplom.org/BostonMassacre/Scoring.html) . This system will be used to break ties. This is the scoring system used for most New Zealand tournaments and many other international tournaments. Detour98f favors SC-count over draws. Here is how it works:

- If you survive to 1905 then you get a point (whether you're eliminated later or not).
- If you are in the draw at the end of the game then you get a point.
- You get a point for every supply centre you own.
- If you are in the outright lead then you get a bonus of the difference between you and the next best player.
- If you are first on the board you get 4 bonus points, if you are second you get 3 bonus points, if you are third you get 2 bonus points, if you're fourth you get 1 bonus point. (If there's a tie you get the points for the lower position -ie equal 2nd both get 2 bonus points)
- You add each person's points to get a raw score. The next step is to standardize the game. Divide each perso's raw score with the sum of all the raw scores and then multiply by 100. This generate a percentage for everyone. So an entire game is worth 100 points and how much of those points that each person gets is determined points 1-5.
- If you solo you get 110 points and everyone else gets *nothing*.

Board Assignments (“Board Draw”)
Players will be assigned to the boards by the tournament director during the “Board Call” period prior to the start of each round. Each player is given a random letter and will play with other combination of letters in the four qualification rounds. The schedule of letters assigned to each game is the following:

Round 1
B1 A, B, C, D, E, F, G
B2 H, I, J, K, L, M, N
B3 O, P, Q, R, S, T, U
B4 V, W, X, Y, Z, AA, AB

Round 2
B1 A, J, M, AB, S, I, R
B2 B, K, N, Y, T, Z, G
B3 C, H, AA, U, F, L, V
B4 Q, P, W, E, O, D, X

Round 3
B1 A, H, O, I, E, V, W
B2 C, J, Q, K, R, X, Y
B3 S, F, M, T, G, N, Z
B4 B, P, L, D, U, AA, AB

Round 4
B1 A, X, L, V, F, N, Y
B2 B, Q, G, AA, I, C, W
B3 D, R, O, S, Z, U, K
B4 E, J, AB, H, M, P, T

The assignment of letters to players is done with the help of random-number generator and will stay secret until the end of the tournament.Players are not permitted to swap places with a player on another board. Players must play the countries and boards they are assigned. If exceptional circumstances arise that a player believes necessitate a change to the board assignments, these concerns should be brought to the Tournament Director prior to the start of the round. The Tournament Director will generally not honor requests to change board assignments after boards have been announced, except under extraordinary circumstances.

Game Length
The qualification games will end in 1915 if there is no winner by that point. In such case, the results of the player will be first calculated with the Detour98f system (see Scoring Systems). The percentage which every player gains from the total will be what each players gains from 12 points in the first system, rounded to the nearest point. For example, 40% of the scores in Detour48f will result in 5 points under the first system (rounded from 4.8). 20% will result in 2 points (rounded from 2.4).

The Top Board will have no length limits.

Adjudication.
The PlayDiplomacy judge will adjudicate each phase. Where possible, players are encouraged to ask the Tournament Director for clarifications of rules prior to conflicts arising.

Game conclusion.
The game ends when one player owns 18 centers at the end of a fall turn. Additionally, the game may end at any time if all of the surviving players agree by vote to stop playing and declare a draw. Only players who still control one or more supply centers may participate in the decision to end the game.

The game may also end if 1915 is reached and the game is still going. Note: this only applies to the 4 qualification rounds.

Tournament Violations
Any violations to the tournament rules will be resolved by the Tournament Board. Punishments will be issued to the violating parties at the discretion of the Tournament Board too and include, but are not limited to, points penalties, elimination from a round or the whole tournament, and even from the website if they contradict the rules of the website.

Please send all complaints to the Tournament Director ONLY through private messages.

Good Luck!
Last edited by Samarkand on 01 Feb 2009, 17:03, edited 7 times in total.
On that day we’ll say to Hell: “Have you had enough?”
And Hell will answer: “Is there more?”

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Eat that, Edi Birsan :)
Samarkand

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Tournament Rules

Postby mdmuff » 04 Sep 2008, 02:27

Samarkand wrote:
Game Length
The qualification games will end in 1915 if there is no winner by that point.

Samarkand wrote:Game conclusion.
The game may also end if 1920 is reached and the game is still going. Note: this only applies to the 4 qualification rounds.

Which one?

Otherwise, everything looks good to me.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Samarkand » 04 Sep 2008, 07:01

Oh, sorry, corrected to 1915.

Second place in the first round in the Wonderful Mansion tournament with a solo in 1907.
Samarkand

Postby bitwise » 04 Sep 2008, 08:41

Thanks Samarkand for putting all this effort into this tournament. Great job so far. :)
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Dunam » 04 Sep 2008, 18:14

Hey that's a really good scoring system!

"If you are in the outright lead then you get a bonus of the difference between you and the next best player. "

This sentence seems to imply that there are different kinds of being in the lead. I'm sure you just mean, "the player with the most supply centers receives a bonus of the difference to the player with the second most supply centers", or is the implication intentional and do you need to have minimum lead or supply centers for this to kick in?
Saying "You're wrong! There is a god!" is as unhelpful as "You're wrong! There's no god!"
Dunam

Postby Lbohh » 04 Sep 2008, 18:28

What happens if the site makes an error? A missed build phase for example?
Lbohh

Timezone: GMT

Postby Samarkand » 04 Sep 2008, 18:51

Dunam wrote:This sentence seems to imply that there are different kinds of being in the lead. I'm sure you just mean, "the player with the most supply centers receives a bonus of the difference to the player with the second most supply centers", or is the implication intentional and do you need to have minimum lead or supply centers for this to kick in?

I copied this from elsewhere (see the link) but I am pretty sure they meant SC-count.

Lbohh wrote:What happens if the site makes an error? A missed build phase for example?

It would be up to the Tournament Board to decide. Unfortunatelly, as I understood there is no way to return the game a phase back but we can compensate with scores or think of something else. I hope nothing like this occured. In none of my games a build phase was skipped.

Samarkand

Postby bitwise » 04 Sep 2008, 20:34

Aren't you playing in your own Gunboat Invitational? Take a look at the last build phase there.

I had 5 affected games :shock:
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)

Postby Samarkand » 04 Sep 2008, 20:42

Oh, I forgot about it.

Samarkand

Postby Dunam » 05 Sep 2008, 22:08

What date does the tournament start? I'm gone 4 days in oktober ( Essen Internationale Spieltage ) and I'll be gone a week in september (20th till 27th I believe)

These both come up after I had signed up for this, so let me know if this dissolves my participation.
Saying "You're wrong! There is a god!" is as unhelpful as "You're wrong! There's no god!"
Dunam

Next

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN