Premium Classic Championship question for entrants

A 7-game, 7 countries tournament, that started on 1 August 2010. No resolution.

What should the date be for games in the tournament to finish for scoring purposes?

Poll ended at 30 Jul 2010, 22:35

No votes
13%
88%

Total votes : 16

Premium Classic Championship question for entrants

Postby rick.leeds » 25 Jul 2010, 22:35

The site norm for tournament games ending (for scoring purposes) is 1915 Fall (Retreats phase). My question is what would you prefer it to be?

We do need an end date to calculate Detour98F points. It will be the end of the chosen year, after retreats.

Games can end before that, either through a solo or an agreed draw. In that case, Detour98F will be calculated from:
1. The last completed Fall season (including Retreats).
2. If the game finishes between the close of Fall movements and Retreats, any units that need to retreat that could have retreated to an open SC will be judged to have retreated to that SC and they will count towards the Detour98F points.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premium Classic Championship question for entrants

Postby echotwo » 26 Jul 2010, 10:21

I've not played a tournament before, so 'scuse what is probably a very ignorant question: but why is a fixed end-date necessary? I've always assumed the point of having one in an in-person game was to make sure that each round of games finishes at more or less the same time, and that the games can all be fitted into the time available. With online-play, those constraints seem not to be so relevant, which would seem (to me at least) to mean that each game could conceivably be played out to its end. What am I missing here?
echotwo

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Sheddy » 26 Jul 2010, 13:44

echotwo wrote:I've not played a tournament before, so 'scuse what is probably a very ignorant question: but why is a fixed end-date necessary?

For pretty much the same reason, but on a timescale of weeks rather than hours. If a stalemate was reached in a game, it could in principle go on for months or years (real time) if no players broke the stalemate by stabbing or NMRing. The tournament needs to be wrapped up in 12 months, so limiting game play during the tournament to about 15 weeks max. (approx 1 year gametime per week real time) is reasonable. If 1915 is chosen as the game end date and the tournament is to finish in July 2011, then players should look to start their 7th game by around March 2011 at the latest.

A game can continue to be played after the end point for the purposes of tournament scoring is reached. So it is possible for a game to be scored as a four-way draw in the tournament and then result in a solo according to the site points awarded.
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1043)
All-game rating: (1051)

Postby echotwo » 26 Jul 2010, 15:02

Again, 'scuse the naive question, but why does it need to be finished within a certain period of time? Would it not make sense to ensure that all the games have started by, say, March 2011, and delay the scoring of the tournament until they've come to an end?
echotwo

Postby Sheddy » 26 Jul 2010, 15:14

Because (again in principle) just one stalemated game could drag on for 6 months, 12 months, 5 years or longer - especially if, as all the other games finished, it became known by a process of elimination that it contained one or more of the players challenging for top spot on the Tourney scoreboard. Thus the compilation of the final scores would be delayed.

I suppose an alternative solution is to say there is no fixed game end point, but to apply the condition that a stalemate is declared for tournament purposes if there is no exchange of any SCs for three consecutive game years. Then TPs and detour points are assigned based on this stalemated position. Again the game can actually continue on the site for longer if the players keep it going.

But rick.leeds in the organiser for this Tournament, so really it's up to him what he chooses to apply.
Nation shall speak peace unto nation
- at least until spring 1901 orders are opened.

Do you dislike games spoiled by surrenders and missed orders? If so, please consider adding your name to the database of reliable players at The Classicists
Sheddy

Standard rating: (1043)
All-game rating: (1051)

Postby his_flyness » 26 Jul 2010, 20:57

While the practical realities are a consideration, I think the real value in an end date is that it changes playing styles and forces a more fluid and interesting style of play. It encourages players to stab, take risks, and, as a result, discourages 2-way draws.
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." The Godfather
his_flyness

Standard rating: (1214)
All-game rating: (1209)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby echotwo » 27 Jul 2010, 14:53

his_flyness wrote:It encourages players to stab, take risks, and, as a result, discourages 2-way draws.

If that's true, I'm sold!
echotwo

Postby rick.leeds » 28 Jul 2010, 00:26

I was thinking practicality, but it is also true that as the game progresses into the latter years, especially with the Detour points becoming more important if no solution looks likely (after all, if no solution is reached by the end of 1915, SCs become important in deciding how the scoring goes for primary points as well as Detour) there will be more fluidity.

The idea is that the seven games each player enters must be STARTED on or before 31July 2011, not necessarily finished by then. But that means that we will need an end of game date for games that go beyond the that deadline. By that time I'm sure we'll all want the tournament to be over ;)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby cdb002 » 28 Jul 2010, 02:20

This may have been covered elsewhere but I can't remember seeing it. If the game ends and all the players are unable to accept any draw proposals, what would happen as far as the site scoring system for the tournament? Would none of the surviving players receive any points?

And also, from what I understand the Detour98 system is only for final points total ties and may not even come into play?
cdb002

Postby GhostEcho » 28 Jul 2010, 03:33

1915 is fine with me - I think only 3 of my almost 40 games played have actually lasted that long, so it seems reasonable.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 970

Next

Return to Premium Classic Championship [FIN]