Diplo-21

Scoring systems which offer alternative ways to score tournaments but which clash with site ratings.

Diplo-21

Postby theGreatPlaya » 16 Oct 2015, 17:55

A have thought of a new scoring system for Tournament Diplomacy:

Points are given not only for what position and how many SCs you have at the end of the game, but how long you lasted in the game. This insures all players should have a score by the end of the game. Points are awarded in this way:
1 point for each whole year you still had SCs by the end of Fall Builds;
1 point for each SC you had at the end of the game;
And 30 points are distributed between players in a draw (two player draw: 15 points for each player, three player draw: 10 points, etc.), while a solo winner gets 21 extra points. (This scoring system is not meant for DIAS Tournaments)
So, if a game ends like this:
Game end: Spring 1910
Austria: 13 SCs (Two-way draw)
England: 11 SCs (Two-way draw
France: 6 SCs
Germany: 4 SCs
Italy: 0 SCs (Died Fall 1908)
Russia: 0 SCs (Died Spring 1905)
Turkey: 0 SCs (Died Fall 1903)
Score:
Austria: 37
England: 35
France: 15
Germany: 13
Italy: 7
Russia: 4
Turkey: 2
“Veni, vidi, vici!” - Letter from (Gaius) Julius Caesar to Roman Senate, circa 46 BC
Good luck and goodwill to you,
The King Emperor Jarius Pax the Fourth of the Magni Imperium within Create Your Own Country
Silver Classicist
theGreatPlaya

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (901)
All-game rating: (841)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Diplo-21

Postby Carebear » 16 Oct 2015, 20:07

I like the idea of coming up with a new scoring system. Always looking for new approaches.

Since there are already a number of systems already around, I would like to understand what are the goals of your system and how does it accomplish those goals better than existing systems?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby theGreatPlaya » 16 Oct 2015, 20:26

I wanted a scoring system that not only shows how many SCs players have at the end of the game, but also shows how long the players lasted. I didn't see that in any of the other scoring systems, so I made my own and kept it simple.
“Veni, vidi, vici!” - Letter from (Gaius) Julius Caesar to Roman Senate, circa 46 BC
Good luck and goodwill to you,
The King Emperor Jarius Pax the Fourth of the Magni Imperium within Create Your Own Country
Silver Classicist
theGreatPlaya

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (901)
All-game rating: (841)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Carebear » 16 Oct 2015, 21:12

theGreatPlaya wrote:I wanted a scoring system that not only shows how many SCs players have at the end of the game, but also shows how long the players lasted. I didn't see that in any of the other scoring systems, so I made my own and kept it simple.

I wouldn't say your system "shows" how long a player lasted. It does however, take into account longevity for scoring. As you said, a simple approach. I like the concept, but I am unsure if the overall implementation is quite right. But, it is a great starting point for discussion.

If you simply wanted a longevity component, I would say "so what". It doesn't necessarily achieve a tournament scoring goal. A goal could be to encourage players in losing positions to continue playing rather than throw their centers to another player by giving them a decent score at the end for holding-out.

Some common goals that people ascribe to certain scoring systems are:
  • Give preferential treatment to solos. Carnage scoring effectively assures a soloist of winning a tournament (unless there are multiple).
  • Discourage early draws. Sum of the squares encourages differences in SC count.

Every scoring system has some flaw. Like yours, several strive for simplicity. However, with spreadsheets and year over year center count information, it seems to me perhaps complexity might be an alternate approach.

But, before going there, I would recommend to establish the tournament scoring system's goals. Then, consider if longevity can be used to incentivize play towards those goals.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Return to Other Tournament Scoring Systems