African Diplomacy 6/6 - Reserves needed

A 6 player variant that focuses on the continent of Africa. Created by Phil Reynolds. GM'ed by Joe92 Solo Victory attained by Antigonos (Zaire)

Moderator: Morg

African Diplomacy 6/6 - Reserves needed

Postby joe92 » 26 May 2016, 14:14

Confirmations 6/6

African Diplomacy

After cyanide martini created a thread about African Diplomacy I've been wanting to see one going. So here it is!

The game begins Spring 2000.

Deadlines will be: 3/1/1

First year will have an extended Spring and Fall.

Players will be assigned countries by blind auction so whatever you do, don't mention which country you'd prefer. A full breakdown of house rules can be found below.

Sign ups will be first come first serve but players with forum games already under their belt may be given preference to absolute newbies.

I've re-rendered the map as it was completely unworkable. There have been a few name changes but absolutely no change to the map structure. The name changes are:
CBa -> Equateur
KPI -> Darfur
Mali -> Bamako
Somalia -> Mogadishu
South East Atlantic -> Skeleton Coast
South West Atlantic -> South Atlantic Ocean

african-diplomacy-1999-12-winter.png
african-diplomacy-1999-12-winter.png (29.89 KiB) Viewed 2304 times

Players
1. cyanide martini
2. EnlightenedMonarch
3. UsernamePending
4. Elric Hazard
5. gnaah
6. Antigonos

Reservers
1. Don Juan of Austria
2. sjjbuckeye

Powers and their starting centres:
Ethiopia - A (AAb), A (Dji), F (Mog)
Ivory Coast - F (Abi), A (Fre), A (Oua)
Libya - A (Tri), A (Ben), F (Tun)
Saudi Arabia - A (Riy), F (Mec), F (Dam)
South Africa - A (Pre), F (PEl), F (Cap)
Zaire - F (Kin), A (Lub), A (Kis)

Territory names
All shorthand versions of the territory names are the first 3 letters of the territory unless otherwise denoted on the map.

Map notes as written by the creator
- The Suez Canal through Eygpt is like the Kiel canal through Kiel.
- Greece borders Turkey but NOT Italy
- Mauritania does border Western Sahara Desert
- Djibouti does border Addis Ababa, Eritrea, Mogadishu and GOA
- Addis Ababa does NOT border GOA
- Tanzania does NOT border Mitumbu Mountains
- Mozambique does border Orange Free State
- Uganda does *not* border Zambia. Thus, there is a narrow impassable area along the border between Mitumba Mountains and Tanzania (where the skinny part of Uganda now extends south to connect to Zambia) and Uganda then ends up only bordering Mitumba Mountains, Kisangani, Sudan, Kenya, and Tanzania.

House Rules

Pre Game
Powers will be selected by blind auction. Make sure you do not mention any preference to which power you would like to play prior to the game starting.

Orders
Please title all orders clearly. Orders should be titled as such, "African Diplomacy: [country] [season] [phase]". So for example, "African Diplomacy: Ethiopia Spring 2000 Orders". Alternatively use Africa as a shorthand version of African Diplomacy, "Africa: Ethiopia Spring 2000 Orders". It doesn't have to be exact but I need to be able to find the message with ease, bearing in mind that I am playing forum games while GMing so my inbox will be busy. To avoid confusion, just make sure you send the message for each phase as an individual PM. Do not hit reply expecting me to know what it is. If you title your orders incorrectly and I don't find them it's your fault and will result in an NMR.

Please make sure to double check your orders before sending them to me. I will not check their accuracy and any illegal orders will result in a hold. I will accept orders that are clear in meaning (such as not specifying a coast when only one is available) but any orders that are ambiguous or incorrect will be changed to a hold (such as entering a convoy order for a fleet but not entering the corresponding move order for the army will result in both units holding).

If you spot an error in my adjudication please report it publicly as soon as possible. Any error not reported before the next movement deadline will not be corrected.

If two or more orders for the same unit are entered, then I'll use the last one and ignore the others, except when too many build orders are entered, in which case the correct number from the beginning of the list will be accepted.

Other Messages
Please title them something different, so I know which is which - otherwise I'll probably assume they're orders and not read them before the deadline! If you ask a rules question then if it's clear I'll answer it. If it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly and with clear reasons. If you do, I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension whilst it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Deadlines
Deadlines will be 3/1/1 from the time the new map is posted, with the exception of the first spring and first fall which will both be 6 days. I will send a PM at the time the map goes up so there is no excuse for not noticing a phase change. I highly recommend you send in provisional orders just to be on the safe side!

Reminders: For Spring and Fall phases I will send out a reminder roughly 24 hours before the deadline, and a separate message to those players who have not yet submitted orders. If at any time I fail to send a separate individual reminder without realising it and post the phase with an NMR, it will stand. You will have had two PM's about the deadline by then, and in the end it is your responsibility to get orders in before the deadline. You will not receive a reminder, group or individual, for the retreat phase or the winter phase as missing either of these phases will not affect your NMR count.

Speedy deadlines: Once I have orders from all players I will process them as soon as possible, unless they are marked 'Provisional' or similar. I encourage provisional orders where appropriate to reduce the risk of NMR's, and I don't mind how often you change them. You may update provisional orders to finalised if you wish. There is no pressure at any time to finalise orders however. It is an option, not a requirement.

Requests for delays: Reasonable requests for delays will be accepted. Last minute requests without exceptional reasons will not - you will have had plenty of time to send in provisional orders by then! Please give as much notice as possible if you need a delay. Life happens, but if you know you're going on a two week holiday in three months time without internet access let me know with plenty of time.

Finally, please note: if you want a substitute whilst you're away it's your job to find one!

Victory Conditions
There are 36 total centres. 19 are required to solo.

Draw proposals must be sent by private message or public forum post. They should state the powers involved in the draw and do not need to include all survivors. Draws must be accepted by all active players.

Draw proposals will expire at the end of a Movement phase, i.e. if proposed in a Spring phase, the proposal will expire at the end of that phase; if proposed during Spring Retreats, at the end of the following Fall phase; if proposed in Fall, at the end of that phase; if proposed during Fall Retreats or Winter, at the end of the following Spring phase.

NMR's / Surrenders
I will usually aim to process the orders fairly soon after the deadline, though there may be exceptions. If you get orders in a few minutes late but before I begin adjudication I'll let it pass, but if I have started adjudicating orders, it's too late.

NMR's on retreat and build phases I don't count, but I will take notice of if it immediately proceeded an NMR during a spring or fall and may start thinking about finding a replacement.

If you have three NMR's, you are out. Two in successive movement phases, you are out. NMR on the first phase or during the blind auction, you are out and the game will restart after finding a replacement. For retreats and builds if you don't submit orders it's your problem. For the retreat phase your unit will be auto-disbanded according to the definition below and if you miss the build phase well you're probably going to regret it anyway. However, I would prefer to receive a message as it will speed up the game.

If an NMR results in an auto surrender the game will be paused for up to 3 days before adjudication of the current phase while I attempt to find a replacement. The replacement will be able to give a gunboat set of orders for that phase. If no replacement has been found after 3 days the game will continue with the country in civil disorder and open to new leadership.

Auto-disband
As there is a little ambiguity in the standard definition I am clearing this up here. My auto-disband procedure is as follows:
Remove the farthest unit from any of your home supply centres in your control. If units are equally distant, then remove Fleets before Armies and then in alphabetical order by the provinces in which they're located. Should you have no home supply centres then the nearest supply centre in your control will be seen as your home supply centre. If two centres are equally distant then the first in alphabetical order by name will be chosen.

Errors in Adjudication
I'm only human, so check the map after orders to make sure I have it right! If there's a substantial error it will delay the deadline, so I'll try to be perfect! Any error not reported by the next movement deadline will stand.

And finally, the GM's decision is always final.

----------------------------------------------------------

Post below if you are interested in playing or acting as reserve, or if you have any questions. Cheers!
Last edited by joe92 on 05 Jun 2016, 11:58, edited 26 times in total.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Re: African Diplomacy 4/6 - Sign ups needed

Postby joe92 » 26 May 2016, 14:15

The following players have been added for having already signed up in cyanide martini's thread.

1. cyanide martini
2. FrankC
3. EnlightenedMonarch
4. sjjbuckeye

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby cyanide martini » 26 May 2016, 16:36

Woohoo!!!! :) :D :D 8-)

cyanide martini

P.S.: I know you're only human, but there's a word for "equally distant": equidistant :P ;)
Care for a drink?

Խչպⵓⵇⵚⵟ ⵀⴷշվፍሉ ሪႿփ ጆናጣንႥ՞ჱჵ。
cyanide martini

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (903)
All-game rating: (1148)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UsernamePending » 26 May 2016, 16:54

I'd like to join in.
I'm just a nob that played Diplomacy as a kid. Don't mind me. No, I don't have 17 centers. Don't look at me like that.
UsernamePending

Standard rating: (1031)
All-game rating: (1042)

Postby joe92 » 26 May 2016, 17:02

cyanide martini wrote:P.S.: I know you're only human, but there's a word for "equally distant": equidistant :P ;)

Ha, no need to get all smart or anything!

UsernamePending wrote:I'd like to join in.

Added

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby cyanide martini » 26 May 2016, 17:21

joe92 wrote:
cyanide martini wrote:P.S.: I know you're only human, but there's a word for "equally distant": equidistant :P ;)

Ha, no need to get all smart or anything!

Haha! :D

cyanide martini
Care for a drink?

Խչպⵓⵇⵚⵟ ⵀⴷշվፍሉ ሪႿփ ጆናጣንႥ՞ჱჵ。
cyanide martini

Standard rating: (903)
All-game rating: (1148)

Re: African Diplomacy 5/6 - Sign ups needed

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 26 May 2016, 20:09

Oh, oh, ohhhh!! I would like to join, but, (as you know, (joe92)), I won't be free until after July 15. So, would I qualify for a reserve? :) Also, if it doesn't get started right away, but until after that date, I could join then too.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148

Postby joe92 » 26 May 2016, 20:28

Don Juan of Austria wrote:Oh, oh, ohhhh!! I would like to join, but, (as you know, (joe92)), I won't be free until after July 15. So, would I qualify for a reserve? :) Also, if it doesn't get started right away, but until after that date, I could join then too.

Added to reserves, thank you. If we don't start by the time you are back, which seems unlikely, I'll bump you up to the players list.

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 26 May 2016, 21:06

Thanks! :)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148

Postby Elric Hazard » 27 May 2016, 03:20

I will play
The history of civilized man is but the history of his misery. All the pages of it are stained with blood. - Abbé Raynal 1781
Elric Hazard

Standard rating: (1179)
All-game rating: (1184)
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to Game 4