Going Postal (6/7)

New games taking their initial sign-ups and active games needing replacements / reserves.

Moderator: Morg

Going Postal (6/7)

Postby WHSeward » 14 Jun 2015, 08:02

This is a throw-back game – classic, “postal” Diplomacy run on the international system. Everything is the same as the classic game except conditional retreat and build orders must be submitted simultaneously with orders. Oh, and deadlines are a good deal longer too. Let’s see if there is demand for a game such as this. (I shall do some extra recruiting if needed.)

Variant Rules:

The game will be played using a two-season year. Spring orders should contain conditional retreats and fall orders should include conditional retreats and builds/disbands.

Conditional orders may be a single global instruction for all units, an ordered list of conditionals for individual units, or any combination of both. They must be prioritized so the first condition in order that is met defines the retreat/adjustment without further evaluation. (Conditional orders must be within a reasonable level of complexity; I am reading, not computing.)

Retreats may be conditional on the orders adjudication, and adjustments may be conditional on the order and retreat adjudication. A player may indicate which unit is to have priority if two of his own units only have one legal retreat to the same province.

“Disband X” refers to the unit that BEGAN THE TURN in X not ended the turn there.

Variant Name: Postal Dip
Deadlines: Sundays 20:01 (Pacific)/Monday 04:01 (GMT); no retreats/builds
Early Adjudication: Yes; subsequent deadline will always be set at least 8 days later.
Grace Period: 24 hours
Power Assignment: Random
Draws: No DIAS allowed, anonymous proposal, secret ballot

By signing up for a game, a player makes an affirmative commitment to:
1) abide by my House Rules and any applicable Variant Rules;
2) actively compete in the game until eliminated – don’t quit or don’t start;
3) give as much notice as practicable if, due to exigent circumstances, continuing to play in the game is impossible – resign, don’t disappear.

Signups:
dangerboy (?)
I love Italy (1 or 2wk) - Confirmed
Jegpeg (1wk only)
Gavrilo Princip (1wk only)
LBS (either but 1wk preferred)
aefgirt (1 wk)

Standbys:
Kra (1 or 2wk)
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Going Postal (0/7)

Postby WHSeward » 14 Jun 2015, 08:03

WHS PbF HOUSE RULES (“House Rules”)

1. Governing Philosophy.

I hold these truths to be self-evident:
* Games exist for the enjoyment of all their players.
* Challenges of games should come from competitors, not rule keepers.
* Games are more fun when they are competitive and mistake-free.
Accordingly, these House Rules tend to be “reasonably accommodative” rather than “strict”. However, consistent failure on the part of a player to meet the requirements of a game may result in removal. A player’s continuing participation in a game is always at the discretion of the GM.

These rules are long and cover a lot that will probably never come up. You only need to read sections 2 through 5 and you’ll know how a game will be run. The rest are details. If you have any questions about how a situation will be judged, you are encouraged to ask ahead of time.

2. Errors, Amendments & Cheating.

Anyone may propose a correction or appeal a ruling, however, the GM’s decision is final, and adjudications are not subject to change after a subsequent phase (or turn, should the GM so rule) has been adjudicated. Exception: if an adjudication calls for an illegal position on the board, the GM may correct such an error by moving or removing the offending unit(s) at any time.

Players may propose an amendment to any Rule, subject to a vote (see Section 5). The GM reserves the right to veto or modify any proposed amendment.

Failure to abide by the following are grounds for expulsion:
a) do not attempt to deceive the GM;
b) do not meta-game: no team-play or grudges, or cross- or out-of-game agreements;
c) do not attempt to access a forum account other than your own;
d) inform the GM before playing if you have ever met any of the other players in person;
e) cooperate fully in any investigation by the GM; and
f) immediately make the GM aware of any cheating by another player.

3. Orders, Press & Proposals.

Players are encouraged to submit preliminary orders early in a phase. If change orders are submitted later, the entire order set must be re-submitted, not just the changes.

Press releases for publication with the adjudication are welcome and may be conditional on that phase’s results. The GM reserves the right to refuse to publish press for any reason. Press is assumed to be for attribution (white) unless anonymity (gray) is clearly specified. Black press is not supported. Players are also encouraged to post their own press directly in the game thread.

Submissions to the GM should use the following format for the Subject line:
[Game ID][Power][Turn][Type][Optional:“Final”]
For example Austria’s Preliminary Spring 1901 Orders for game WHS001 would be “WHS001 AUS S01 Orders”

Type may be “Orders”, “Retreat”, “Build”, “Press”, “Proposal”, or “Vote”. Press, proposals, and votes may also be submitted along with orders, however, you must resubmit them if there are change orders. (Superseded orders are not searched for press, etc.)

By appending the word “Final” to the subject line, a player authorizes the GM to adjudicate early. Provided adjudication has not begun, final orders may still be changed and you may withdraw your authorization by sending in new orders without “Final” in the subject.

Public submission (i.e. via forum post) of orders is not allowed. Players may appoint a proxy or submit perpetual orders provided it is for all of their units. Proxies and perpetual orders may be overridden at any time (without notice to the proxy holder) by the original player. Note, these tools are not intended for a player to avoid their responsibilities to the game, and players using proxies or perpetual orders are subject to replacement at the GMs discretion.

An adjudication will be published by text and by map. Only the text is official; the map is for convenience.

4. Extensions, Grace Periods, CD, NMRs & Standbys.

Short extensions will generally be granted if requested at least 24 hours before a deadline. If a deadline is missed, a 24-hour grace period will be automatically granted.

If a power in CD is required to disband in an adjustment phase, the unit most distant from a CONTROLLED (NOT HOME) SC will be removed first. Distance is calculated as the smallest number of adjacent provinces between the SC and the unit. In the event of a tie, distance from a Home Center is the first tie-break, then fleets before armies, then alphabetical order.

Players are subject to removal from a game for an NMR on the first turn, two consecutive order phase NMRs, three aggregate order phase NMRs, or four aggregate late order submissions. If a standby takes over, I will generally extend the deadline if time is short.

5. Voting & Ending Games.

Concession, draw, or amendment proposals are anonymous and voting is by secret ballot. Proposals will be announced with adjudications at the end of the turn in which they are received, and votes will be due at the following deadline.

Draw proposals need not include all survivors. In concessions, the player conceded to automatically votes “yes”.

Proposals must be unanimous to pass. An NVR is a "yes" vote to end the game, a "no" vote for other proposals. The result of a vote will only be disclosed as pass/fail. Votes are evaluated before adjudication. If multiple conflicting proposals pass simultaneously, the proposal to carry shall be the larger before smaller, earlier before later.

If in three consecutive game years, no SCs have changed ownership across alliances, any active player may request, and the GM reserves the right, after warning given, to impose a DIAS draw.

The remainder of these House Rules cover relatively esoteric items that can be safely skipped unless a player is interested in these details.

6. Unusual Adjudication Situations

A) Interpretation of Orders.

Players are urged to always i) state the unit type (A or F), ii) use the abbreviations used by the GM or specified in the Rulebook or Variant Rules or write out full province names, iii) state the nationality of foreign units, iv) identify coasts even when not needed. Nonetheless, any order that is clear and unambiguous is acceptable.

Players (and GMs!) make mistakes, and it is not possible to prepare for every conceivable error ahead of time. The following principles of order interpretation will be used by the GM:
i) Writing an order poorly does not disqualify it; orders are presumed to have a Legal meaning.
ii) Illegal orders are not necessarily poorly written; poorly written orders have linguistic failures.
iii) Intention is not relevant to interpretation. (I read orders, not minds.)
iv) Poorly written orders usually do not literally have only one meaning; most often they have no literal meaning (they are, after all, “poorly” written). Nonetheless, if a poorly written order reasonably allows for only one Legal interpretation, that is how it will be construed.

No orders are inferred by orders to other units.

Orders with spelling errors, syntax errors, and semantic failures (e.g. the origin or destination province DNE even if “clearly” named) are examples of poorly written orders.

Poorly written orders are evaluated on their own, without regard to other orders. Exception: determining whether an army moves by land or convoy route may require looking at how other units are ordered.

Conflicting orders issued for the same unit (or same province in the case of builds) are ambiguous, with one exception; if a unit (or province) was issued only one Legal order, and the others are Illegal or poorly written, then the Legal order will stand and the others disregarded.

Players wanting to issue an order that will fail are encouraged to request an advanced ruling from the GM.

Units with Illegal orders or no orders are construed as hold orders for adjudication purposes.

B) Build Phase Errors.

Due to the potential for extreme disruption to the game and low likelihood that such an error would ever be intentional, the GM will make best efforts to obtain a correction from a player before processing adjustment orders with errors, including extending the deadline into a grace period.

Excess build or disband orders are all ambiguous.

Omitted or inaccurate unit types may be ambiguous:
i) Omitted unit types in inland provinces are deemed armies;
ii) Fleet builds in inland provinces are illegal;
iii) Fleet disbands in inland provinces are deemed armies;
iv) Omitted unit types for builds in coastal provinces are ambiguous unless a coast is specified, in which case the order is construed as a fleet build.

C) Coasts & Convoys.

Orders where a fleet’s:
i) origin province coast is omitted, DNE, or is inaccurate – order stands;
ii) destination province coast is omitted or DNE if only one is legal – order stands;
iii) destination province coast omitted or DNE if multiple coasts are legal – order is ambiguous.
iv) destination province coast is illegal – order is Illegal;

Convoy paradoxes (that are not resolved under the Rulebook) shall be resolved using the Szykman rule. Armies in canceled convoys may not be supported to hold (as they attempted a Legal move).

Convoyed units “come from” their origin province (not any water province occupied by a fleet in the convoy). Accordingly, a convoyed army cannot cut support for an attack on its origin province, and units dislodged by a convoy may not retreat to origin province of the convoyed army.

A power may order a fleet to convoy a foreign unit that cuts or dislodges the powers own unit.

7. Acronyms & Defined Terms.

DNE: does not exist

Illegal: an order is Illegal if a) it is ambiguous, b) it is poorly worded and the GM does not construe it as a Legal order, or c) it otherwise does not meet the definition of a Legal order.

Legal: an order is Legal if it is possible to be effected under the Rules given the location of all the units at the start of the phase. For example, “A Pic m Den” is Legal only if there are both F Nth and F Eng at the start of the turn.

NRO: no retreat ordered

NRP: no retreat possible

NVR: no vote received

OTB: off the board

Rulebook: the 4th ed. 2000 Avalon Hill rulebook.

Rules: the Rulebook, WHS House Rules, and Variant Rules, collectively.

Valid: an order is Valid if it is Legal and at least a minimum subset of units have orders such that it is possible that the order is effected. For example, “A Pic m Den” is Valid if both “F Nth c Bre m Den” and “F Eng c Bre m Den” are ordered.

Variant Rules: rules propagated or referenced for a specific game.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Going Postal (0/7)

Postby Kra » 14 Jun 2015, 21:53

I am in!
Kra

Standard rating: (1531)
All-game rating: (1553)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Going Postal (1/7)

Postby dangerboy » 14 Jun 2015, 23:35

this Pony is interested.
dangerboy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1262
All-game rating: 1376

Re: Going Postal (2/7)

Postby I Love Italy » 16 Jun 2015, 22:41

Could be fun. In.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Re: Going Postal (3/7)

Postby Jegpeg » 17 Jun 2015, 19:33

I'm seriously tempted in fact I was considering my next GM game to be a diplomacy stew including conditional retreats/ builds. If it was 7 day deadlines I would jump at it but 14 day deadlines is just too long, the game will probably more than a year possibly two. Though I reserve the right to change my mind before you get to 7.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WHSeward » 17 Jun 2015, 19:58

I'll put you down as thinking about it. I'm not stuck on 2week deadlines as a GM. I'll run it at 7 if that is what all the players want. It's just that 7 days is on the site, so I thought this might be a nice change of pace.... literally!

(Also 2 weeks was the fastest a postal game ever would have run.)

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby I Love Italy » 17 Jun 2015, 21:43

WHSeward wrote:I'll put you down as thinking about it. I'm not stuck on 2week deadlines as a GM. I'll run it at 7 if that is what all the players want. It's just that 7 days is on the site, so I thought this might be a nice change of pace.... literally!

(Also 2 weeks was the fastest a postal game ever would have run.)

Just saying, I'm not particular about the deadlines.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby Jegpeg » 17 Jun 2015, 22:43

WHSeward wrote:(Also 2 weeks was the fastest a postal game ever would have run.)

True but 14 days would be just about enough to send initial messages, get replies send final messages and post orders. Depending on how frequently people log in it is probably the equivalent to 24 to 48 hour deadlines using email / pms.

Are you planning a month for Spring 1901? :shock:
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Going Postal (3+/7)

Postby WHSeward » 17 Jun 2015, 22:46

All true, which is why I am amenable to 1wk turns if that is what the players want.

I was not planning a month for S01. I figured 2 weeks would be more than enough time. Again, the players could override.

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to PbF Game Recruitment